CATS Long Term Transit Plan - Silver, Red Lines

monsoon

This is the most encouraging long term transit planning article I've read in a while.  Obviously there is a tough road ahead, but at least we seem to be aware of it.  If we are going to raise taxes for anything, THIS holds the most merit IMO.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/queen_city_agenda/2013/01/charlotte-transit-wish-list-billion.html

Agreed ill pay another $4.25 a year on my lunches for this too :)

• 1 month later...

The CBJ's cover story this week looks at the progress of the MTC working group looking at how to fund the 2030 plan. Their recommendations for new funding strategies should be released in mid-April. There is not much substance in the article but the highlights included:

• Thom Tillis told the group that the state would likely provide local communities with greater flexibility to generate transit funding, although such a decision is likely to be accompanied by a reduction (or end) of state funds for transit
  • Even the MTC appears to be unsure about who will fund the streetcar (which was part of the original 2030 plan)
  • The financing strategies which were presented to the commission included: car and hotel taxes, vehicle registration fees, higher sales taxes, gas taxes and a range of financing plans based on increased development and growth fostered by the addition of rail and streetcars. Naming rights for transit stations, sponsorships and other advertising-related revenue could also generate additional money.

There was also a sidebar article on Denver's fasttrax financing program. The regional (e.g. multi-county) nature of that program apparently had some appeal to the MTC

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/print-edition/2013/03/08/can-committee-save-transit-plan.html?s=print

• 2 weeks later...

The Observer has an interesting article on Ron Tober and (incidentally) the commission looking at ways to fund the 2030 plan:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/03/17/3921413/tober-back-on-charlotte-transit.html

Some interesting bits:

Tober suggests that Mayor Pat was not as confident in transit as he implied: 

“I was 100 percent confident,” Tober said. “But I used to have to hold (then Mayor Pat McCrory’s) hand – I don’t want to say he had cold feet – but he would always ask me, ‘Is anyone going to ride this?’ ”

Or

Ironically the republicans in Raleigh bring some hope for transit funding:

Tober said he believes the sales tax must be broadened to include the purchase of cars, as well as services that today are exempt. He said he’s encouraged by a Republican proposal in the General Assembly to reduce or eliminate personal income taxes and corporate taxes, while expanding the sales tax.

He also played an interesting political card by suggesting that a "regional transit authority" (sound familiar?) be created to help finance transit (e.g sales taxes in other counties)

Finally he notes his concern about a public relations disaster from the streetcar stub project. He does not feel that the 1.5 miles currently under construction will attract enough riders to make further expansion look promising.

The comments make clear that even six years later the nutbags in town still vilify him.

Edited by kermit

Holy Cow!

President Barack Obama is considering Charlotte, North Carolina, Mayor Anthony Foxx for secretary of transportation, according to two people familiar with the matter.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-03-20/obama-said-to-consider-charlotte-mayor-foxx-for-dot-post.html

Something tells me this his appointment is a longggg shot, primarily because of his age and lack of direct experience. However this candidacy certainly gives us a new perspective on his streetcar stubbornness and (if he got the job) would put a very different complexion on the state / city p1ssing contest.

Edited by kermit

If by the off chance Foxx gets elected, would this have any effect on funding for future transit projects in Charlotte? And on that topic, will there be another TIGER grant this year? Are there any projects (streetcar or red line?) the city of Charlotte can nominate for funding? I'm not really sure how all of it works, so pardon my ignorance on this subject.

Holy Cow!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-03-20/obama-said-to-consider-charlotte-mayor-foxx-for-dot-post.html

Something tells me this his appointment is a longggg shot, primarily because of his age and lack of direct experience. However this candidacy certainly gives us a new perspective on his streetcar stubbornness and (if he got the job) would put a very different complexion on the state / city p1ssing contest.

Yes, a different "complexion" certainly, though one in which it really becomes a monumental standoff, and possibly completely disgraces Foxx should he "favor" Charlotte.  And frankly, don't want THAT kind of national exposure.

Yes, a different "complexion" certainly, though one in which it really becomes a monumental standoff, and possibly completely disgraces Foxx should he "favor" Charlotte.  And frankly, don't want THAT kind of national exposure.

I was mostly looking backwards. If he knew he was a candidate for the job then his futile pushing for the streetcar makes a bit more sense.

I was mostly looking backwards. If he knew he was a candidate for the job then his futile pushing for the streetcar makes a bit more sense.

If Charlotte were to apply and get the funding, how is that favoring Charlotte? He's always believed in it.

Because Raleigh rather take away our airport and not let us raise taxes in our city and throwin even our own kitchen sink at us to not have the buzzword "streetcar" would make Foxx funding the streetcar playing favorites?

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

^ I am getting confused....

I had wanted to say that:

In terms of Foxx as a candidate for the DOT Secretary:

1) we are all pretty confused by Foxx's ineptitude with the streetcar / CIP / State threat issue (he appeared to be a mostly sensible mayor before that battle)

2) IF he knew he was a candidate for the DOT position THEN he may have believed that pushing for streetcar (regardless the political climate) would have made him a more attractive candidate for the DOT job

3) So perhaps he was less clumsy with the whole streetcar thing than we had imagined (since his goal may have been landing the job, not actually expanding the streetcar)

(sorry about my lame spelling)

In terms of Foxx as DOT Secretary:

While I don't think Foxx could (or would) open the DOT cash spigot for Charlotte, Illinois and Chicago certainly did very well in terms of transportation funding during LaHood's tenure (he was an Illinois congressmen).

I do think that there would be some very interesting rhetoric between a Foxx led DOT and governor McPope. 

Edited by kermit

^ I am getting confused....

I had wanted to say that:

1) we are all pretty confused by Foxx's ineptitude with the streetcar / CIP / State threat issue (he appeared to be a mostly sensible mayor before that battle)

2) IF he knew he was a candidate for the DOT position THEN he may have believed that pushing for streetcar (regardless the political climate) would have made him a more attractive candidate for the DOT job

3) So perhaps he was less clumsy with the whole streetcar thing than we had imagined (since his goal may have been landing the job, not actually expanding the streetcar)

(sorry about my lame spelling)

I quoted the wrong person. (stupid iPhone)

Though your summary is spit on

If Charlotte were to apply and get the funding, how is that favoring Charlotte? He's always believed in it.

The appearance of impropriety, doesn't matter how legitimate or what happened first, basically why recusations happen.  Probably a non-argument since it doesn't seem likely to happen, and not sure how him fighting for the streetcar line better qualifies him for the position (as a general argument to any who would say that).

^Good read..

I got tired of waiting, so went ahead and borrowed some track and cars from the Blue line and started a line down Independence.

99049d1343621720-light-rail-blue-line-ex

...then I woke up, took a shower & went to work... :silly::ermm:

disclaimer: I did not create nor take credit for the image posted above

Edited by RVA2CLT
  • Like 3

The space in the photo was originally designed as a reverse express lane. NCDOT has programmed funding to convert the space built out to Albemarle Road into a reverse HOT lane.  It is on a fast track to open the same time NCDOT is finished converting the next segment of Independence from Sharon Amity to just short of WT Harris into an expressway.

The latest expressway-conversion project starts construction this summer and will last about two years.  Since I-485 in South Charlotte only includes full-depth shoulder for future HOT lanes and I-77 won't start a design-build process until next year, Independence Boulevard may actually become the region's first tolled facility.  By 2020, East Charlotte, South Charlotte, and Lake Norman will all be sharing in the growing pains of congestion pricing.

Edited by southslider

Holy Cow!

To give an update on this: It looks like Fox is the leading candidate for secretary of transportation.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-04-01/obama-said-to-consider-mcguire-and-kramer-for-treasury.html

To give an update on this: It looks like Fox is the leading candidate for secretary of transportation.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-04-01/obama-said-to-consider-mcguire-and-kramer-for-treasury.html

I just read the article and this caught my eye. "For a White House stung by criticism that it lacks racial diversity, McGuire would allow Obama to recruit a black to represent the administration".....does that sound racist or what!? lol.....

I caught that to. Im not black but it seemed inappropriate to say "a black". I'm not deeply offended, nor thought much about it as I doubt it was used maliciously but I wouldn't be surprised if black people were offended.

I want Foxx to have that position sooooooo freakin' bad. I'd also love to see McCrorys, Popes, Rucho's and Tillis's face if Foxx does get it. I bet Foxx would favor city legislatures and focus on helping growth in cities given his experience. Though I wonder how he'd handle aviation.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

Well, Foxx has announced he is not running for re-election.  I think the writing may be on the wall here.  He obviously knows something we do not.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/04/05/3961645/charlotte-mayor-foxx-says-he.html

Everybody get ready, we are in for a wild year in the mayoral election race.  But let's hope Foxx will land the Sec. of Trans. position and not forget where he came from!