CATS Long Term Transit Plan - Silver, Red Lines

monsoon

I'm curious to know how this changes the dynamic of the CIP (and/or) Streetcar debate. I wouldn't be surprised to see the election turn into a virtual streetcar referendum.

That would be scary if that happened. If one candidate is opposed to streetcar enough to turn the election into a streetcar referendum... What else will they be against...

I absolutely love mayor Foxx and I wish he would be our mayor still. I hope he runs for public office as a senator or gets the DOT position

That would be scary if that happened. If one candidate is opposed to streetcar enough to turn the election into a streetcar referendum... What else will they be against...

I absolutely love mayor Foxx and I wish he would be our mayor still. I hope he runs for public office as a senator or gets the DOT position

Yea, and I worry about that too. Especially since the streetcar is such a lightning rod for people, I could definitely see it being a big focus of a mayor election. There are far bigger issues in the city to worry about than the streetcar, and that's what should be the focus. Mass transit is an important topic no doubt, especially with the BLE getting ready to start, but we have other problems that need to be solved first. 

It's highly likely that no candidate for mayor will be supportive of near-term expansion of streetcar, especially if using a city-wide funding source.

Cannon is the most likely Dem candidate, and he voted against the larger tax increase.  And obviously, the Republican candidate, be it Dulin or anyone else, will be against it.

At this point, Center City Partners needs to back a shorter expansion to Gateway, leveraging Uptown's tax base.  Otherwise, forget about any streetcars going through the Square for decades.

If Howard or Roberts run against Cannon or Barnes, there could be a streetcar referendum in the primary.  Dulin or another Republican challenger may even make Peacock look more pro-streetcar than he actually is.

Just imagine how fun it would be to have this issue debated in both the primary and general elections for mayor.

I think we need to raise the prices a bit on our Lynx fares.  Looking over the 2012 annual report (http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/cats/Flipbook/2012/Annual-Report-2012.html ), If CATS were charging $3 oneway and $6 round trip, the Lynx would be operationally profitable.   That seems to me to still be cheaper than driving.  According to the story ah posted between now and 2035 there is some 2 Billion in Operations & maintence costs (though that may include busses), being operationally profitable would go a long way towards filling in the 3-4 billion dollar hole.

Edited by DEnd

I think we need to raise the prices a bit on our Lynx fares.  Looking over the 2012 annual report (http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/cats/Flipbook/2012/Annual-Report-2012.html ), If CATS were charging $3 oneway and $6 round trip, the Lynx would be operationally profitable.   That seems to me to still be cheaper than driving.  According to the story ah posted between now and 2035 there is some 2 Billion in Operations & maintence costs (though that may include busses), being operationally profitable would go a long way towards filling in the 3-4 billion dollar hole.

Cheaper assuming 1-person commuters. You'd lose a lot of families and such taking "recreational" trips on it once you're talking $6 each for a family of 5, which may not be a huge segment of the ridership, but would sting to lose from an experience standpoint. 

I think doing that would be disastrous to ridership, and cause an even larger "hit".  The line is simply not long enough to warrant $3/$6.  When the BLE is complete, perhaps for the entire segment, maybe then, but maybe not even then.

Yea, raising the fare prices to $3 would not be a good idea at all IMO, at least not right now. It's already near that threshhold of "do I drive and park or do I take the light rail?" It doesn't make sense for a family of 4 or 5 to take the light rail and pay $12-15 versus $7-10 for parking. I think maybe you can justify it in 2016-17 when the BLE to University opens because you'll have nearly 20 miles of light rail. For my wife and I, living close to the 485 stop near SC/NC border, I would totally pay $6 to ride up to NoDa for some brewery hopping or night out to dinner. But if we're just going to South End, driving becomes an option. Especially if it's free to park.

Bad Idea!  Bad! Bad! Bad Idea!  NYC is not even $3!   

Cheaper assuming 1-person commuters. You'd lose a lot of families and such taking "recreational" trips on it once you're talking $6 each for a family of 5, which may not be a huge segment of the ridership, but would sting to lose from an experience standpoint.

Youth/Student & Senior Riders (K-12, those under 12 years of age must be accompanied by an adult, Seniors are 62 or older, & people with disabilities) fares are $1 one way $2 round trip, I'm not sure I see a reason to change those rates. Honestly I don't see any reason those rates aren't free but whatever...

Yea, raising the fare prices to $3 would not be a good idea at all IMO, at least not right now. It's already near that threshhold of "do I drive and park or do I take the light rail?" It doesn't make sense for a family of 4 or 5 to take the light rail and pay $12-15 versus $7-10 for parking. I think maybe you can justify it in 2016-17 when the BLE to University opens because you'll have nearly 20 miles of light rail. For my wife and I, living close to the 485 stop near SC/NC border, I would totally pay $6 to ride up to NoDa for some brewery hopping or night out to dinner. But if we're just going to South End, driving becomes an option. Especially if it's free to park.

I don't think the fare increase would be that bad for those who live near the Light Rail (as in a 25-50% increase would not affect their decision). For the commuters from the 485 station however, I think it should definately be studied to see how it would affect them before(or if) it is implemented.

Part of the reason I suggested it was a quick internet search revealed that daily parking in uptown private lots (non-employer) looks to be around $3-$6, that plus a gallon of gas puts a $1 fare increase just below cost parity.

For long term viability, the light rail needs to be operationally profitable. Operational profitability also would help additional taxes get passed to expand the system, especially if the argument is framed as mainly one time capitol expenditures that make the city more livable. Yes a 50% fare increase is large, but if ridership stays at or above 85 riders per hour per car (it is currently at like 108) then it strengthens the system.

Edited by DEnd

One of the key differences is that, door to door, LYNX isn't terribly competitive time-wise. In cities like NY and DC, the rail systems are extremely competitive with commute times. 

Given the costs of $ and Time, one or the other has to provide a benefit. 

• 2 weeks later...

Then they can build some uptown highrise dorms (which are nothing like the current UNCC highrises) haha. Now that would be a fun college experience. Couldn't hurt streetlife uptown either. 

I'd be cool with that as long as they don't build in the traditional UNCC/CPCC style ugh, hate it.