Chattanooga Development Photos

MLBrumby

Thanks for these and for reminding me! I've a bunch from just when I've been out around town, or from when I'm crawling between bars. I've a bunch of similarly shot photos. Let's see if I can't help you with the dev real quick with these. (Challenging myself to go off memory, so please feel free to correct)

North Shore -> starting with John Wise buildings on Cherokee, it goes to the 5 Points at North Shore by a Franklin group, if I'm not mistaken. I want to say their name starts with a B.

Next you're at Douglas Heights in MLK, then Jefferson Heights in Southside (the red bricked homes used to be Section 8, and the owner now rents out purposefully at an affordable rate- I'm talking at/around $500. I love that and him)

LandSouth off Main St looking towards Choo Choo is the new BlueBirds luxury apartments (we'll see if lives up to the hype), then John Wise's condo project he's been waiting on for a good several+ years on the corner at Rossville Blvd.

Hit the Moxy hotel at Market x King by Desai, the you're downtown at City Center looking at that older building which has been receiving more investment, renovations over the years. 

Old Krystal HQ Fletcher Bright fixed up with the Market City Center 10-story mixed use building, with an alleyway project underway. This is anchoring new development along Cherry there. Then the Westin in the City Center (refusing to call area irrelevant names by out-of-touch suburban builders).

You go along Riverfront Pkwy on the Westside, abutting the Cameron Harbor development. The apartments beside the Chatt Whiskey facility are looking GREAT, and I'm not sure if they're related to Cameron Harbor or not. The houses are the most recent phase of CH. I believe the steel beams then are the new mixed-use office building abutting Blue Goose Hollow park.

I'm not entirely sure, but the toothpick development looks to be the one next to the chicken plant off Broad towards S Broad. John Wise again, but I think partnering with someone. I want to say this is a phase.

The beautiful build next is behind TVA next to the award-winning park (and award winning businesses). Alabama developer. Tasteful, great infill, and it really impacts the area. Can see it all the way in Cowart Place and behind Clyde's. Next is (I believe again) John Wise's building on Chestnut next to Finley, which is a build-up from pre-existing 1-story brick structure. Lacking imagination and something to be desired, but kudos for the project nonetheless. Supposed to be affordable housing, too. Not PILOT affordable, but actually affordable. I remember some comment about servers and downtown service workers should be able to live there.

Then UTC!

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

Passing through on this rainy day and I would have stopped and walked around downtown for not the weather.  However I drove down several streets and I like your downtown.  Better than Knoxville even though they have some taller buildings.  Great street level activity and great older brick buildings.  I will explore more on my next trip probably next year.  Here you go a lot of photos of downtown Chattanooga.  Broad and Market streets mainly.   first set of 3.   I have not been to downtown Chattanooga since right after the TN Aquarium opened and that was a long time ago.  Love the older historic brick buildings and the many renovations done for hotels,  apartments etc. 

IMG_3640.JPG

IMG_3641.JPG

IMG_3642.JPG

IMG_3643.JPG

IMG_3644.JPG

IMG_3645.JPG

IMG_3646.JPG

IMG_3647.JPG

IMG_3649.JPG

IMG_3650.JPG

IMG_3651.JPG

IMG_3652.JPG

IMG_3653.JPG

IMG_3654.JPG

IMG_3655.JPG

IMG_3656.JPG

IMG_3657.JPG

IMG_3658.JPG

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Going to try a massive dump of pics I took while coming (taking the long way) home yesterday from working downtown. My 'office' is DT now but I haven't been there too often these recent months. Anyhoo, there were a lot of people walking out in the beautiful weather, but you wouldn't tell from these pics.  I had to be very careful, as I was sneaking pics when I was stopped at a light or when there were no cars/people around me. I took a lot more, but these are generally the best. I'll try and label them as I can.  Sorry for the glare and reflection of my water cup and handwipes in the passenger window. 

These cover the South Main area with some construction sites for new residential around Cowart & 13th and Broad St. & 13, where the old Carter Distributing Co. property is going to be replaced with a Food City and Residential.  Also more townhouses underway in the Main/Central area around Jefferson Heights. Also got a few shots up Bailey Avenue which becomes MLK (Old 9th Street) back toward downtown. Thought I had one of the Standard Appliance rehab into apartments near Rossville and Central but somehow lost it. 

New Miller Park. Not a huge fan. Solomon Federal CH in back, to be replaced someday by new Federal CH.

Chat22021 Miller Park Renovation.jpg

Champy's on MLK and Douglas Apartments. UTC is to right in photo.

Chat22021 MLK Champy's.jpg

Where Bailey becomes MLK

Chat22021 MLK .jpg

Bailey through Highland Park

Chat22021 Highland Park  (2).jpg

Chat22021 Highland Park  (1).jpg

Chat22021 Highland Park .jpg

Chat22021 Highland Park.jpg

Edge of Jefferson Heights on Rossville Avenue

Chat22021 Jefferson Park (2).jpg

One of interior streets in Jefferson Heights

Chat22021 Jefferson Park (1).jpg

Crappy infill along Main in Jefferson Heights

Chat22021 Jefferson Park.jpg

Chat22021 So Main (2).jpg

Main Street heading east near Rossville Avenue

Chat22021 So Main.jpg

Chat22021 So Main (1).jpg

Clyde's on Main

Chat22021 Clyde's on Main (2).jpg

Chat22021 Clyde's on Main (1).jpg

Chat22021 Clyde's on Main.jpg

Carter Distributing. Will be developed into grocery and residential building.

Chat22021 Carter Dist future Food City.jpg

New apartments going in at Cowart and 13th, catty corner to Urban Stack.

Chat22021 Cowart&13th New Construction.jpg

Fairly new commercial building at Cowart and 13th.

Chat22021 (1).jpg

Urban Stack

Chat22021 Urban Stack.jpg

Miscellaneous shots along Georgia Avenue, including Patton Parkway renovation. 

Chat22021 Edney Bldg.jpg

Chat22021 Old Chat Times.jpg

Chat22021 Georgia & Patton.jpg

Chat22021 Billiards Cherry St..jpg

Chat22021 Patton Pkwy .jpg

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 2

Cherry Street Townhomes and New Apartments on 4th Street

Once again, I somehow got these out of order. First pic is looking to the south along Broad Street at Fourth Street. If I make a left onto Fourth and go 2 blocks, the buildings under construction are to the left (between Cherry and Walnut Streets). Cherry is the first street parallel to Market. Over the past 20 years there have been probably 4 dozen townhouses of very high quality built along a square block bounded by 2nd, 3rd, Cherry and Walnut.  Now the block between 3rd and 4th between Cherry and Walnut is being filled in by these apartment buildings. The townhouses with the wrought iron fence are along 3rd Street and to the left in the photo is the new apartment buildings. The last photo shows the garage u/c for the apartment buildings. 

Intersection of Broad and 4th Street

IMG_4907.jpg

New apartment buildings fronting 4th Street (between Cherry and Walnut Streets)

IMG_4915.jpg

IMG_4919.jpg

Townhouses facing 3rd Street (across the street from the apartment buildings going up)

IMG_5148.jpg

IMG_5149.jpg

Parking structure going up for the apartment buildings; across 3rd Street from the townhouses shown above.

IMG_4904.jpg

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 3

Lastly, while not urban development of they type this board focuses on, I thought I'd show a portion of the rebuilt US27 as it sweeps through town (south of Olgiati Bridge).

The new ramp from 4th Street as it connects to the access road running alongside US27. Note retaining walls galore to keep Cameron Hill in place. 

IMG_5152.jpg

Intersection with MLK is in background. I couldn't get a better pic b/c I was moving. This is a major transformation. At MLK, left is to Broad Street & right is to Riverside and new MLK extension at the Riverpark.

IMG_5156.jpg

IMG_5160.jpg

On US 27 travelling toward I-24

IMG_5163.jpg

Travelling along the access road and intersection (underpass) for 6th Street. 

IMG_5158.jpg

IMG_5155.jpg

New ramp from 4th Street. US27 is above. This used to be a hairpin with a steep ramp from 4th Street. Now it is level all the way to the new access road along the rebuilt expressway. Traffic signals ahead and one-way traffic (left) to MLK and the onramp beyond MLK to the expressway and I-24. 

IMG_5151.jpg

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 4

Thanks for the picture tour, the development of the “west side” over the past few years is astounding. The city as a whole is growing rapidly  and the housing market is out of control.  Driving through North Chatt just the other day I was amazed at all the new huge homes that are being squeezed into every buildable lot on every hillside. 

Highway 27 is awesome now, no traffic ever. 

Has the city announced when they are going to finish that stretch of River walk into St. Elmo?  I ride my bike that way often and really look forward to that being built out, I wish they would connect it to the Guild Trail for a seamless connection of trails. 

The completion of the greenway (Riverwalk) hinges on the timetable of redevelopment of the Alstom property which has not broken ground yet.  Still too many dead zones, but they're starting to fill in.  It was slated for this spring, but I haven't heard anything since the announcement of the first office building last summer. To a lesser extent it will also hinge on the redevelopment of the US Foundry property, but there's a slow movement in that direction. If the economy improves this year, we may see USF cranking up into next year.  Meanwhile, segments are in various stages of development on the south end to St. Elmo. This will continue to make progress as projects like this one get underway. There are a few new commercial buildings along Broad (between 25th and St. Elmo Ave.) including a Publix going up now. 

Regarding the continued development of the greenway through there, it's a bit tougher for the state/county and city to assemble rights of way (easements) than utilizing the Public ROW along the river. There are just a lot more property owners to deal with. The newish neighborhood behind the old Saddlery building on Broad has right-of-way established, and the city is working with the developers of the future US Foundry redevelopment to lay it out through there. There is also a proposed exit from I-24 to that site, but that's a bit longer range in development (I-24 is slated to be widened to 8 lanes starting in FY23). 

Residential is slowly picking up through there.  Here's another 35 townhomes announced this week for Southside Gardens at Cowart and 25th. It will be near the new four-story mixed use building planned by Hiren Desai at Broad and 26th.   https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/business/diary/story/2021/feb/22/multimillion-dollar-townhouse-project-planned/542027/  

Edited by MLBrumby

19 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

The completion of the greenway (Riverwalk) hinges on the timetable of redevelopment of the Alstom property which has not broken ground yet.  Still too many dead zones, but they're starting to fill in.  It was slated for this spring, but I haven't heard anything since the announcement of the first office building last summer. To a lesser extent it will also hinge on the redevelopment of the US Foundry property, but there's a slow movement in that direction. If the economy improves this year, we may see USF cranking up into next year.  Meanwhile, segments are in various stages of development on the south end to St. Elmo. This will continue to make progress as projects like this one get underway. There are a few new commercial buildings along Broad (between 25th and St. Elmo Ave.) including a Publix going up now.

The River walk from Cameron Harbor/Spring Hill Suites all the way past Alstom and Foundry sites have been open for a couple of years, it ends at behind Crust Pizza there on Broad St, if you haven’t been on that portion yet it’s super awesome, the trail is a bit wider and getting close to this factory sites are awesome.  Here are a few photos from a hill next to that portion of the riverwalk, based on your description I wasn’t sure if you were aware it was open already. It looks like they city is accepting bids for the last segment from its current ending behind Crust to the incline railway, they just did this a couple of weeks ago.  As an avid cyclist I use that portion of the riverwalk weekly to ride from North Chatt to St. Elmo to connect with the Guild Trail up Lookout which allows me to ride 30 miles or more  

46FA17E5-A4D0-4D1A-B02E-8DB686F0363E.jpeg

40CCB04F-FE7E-4A3C-8D25-3E7C7D6154EF.jpeg

4CF33DC4-E0A5-4790-ADF0-47FA5B92D027.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Looks amazing!  Thanks for the pics. I haven't been along that segment and was aware that they were working on the public ROW.  It's my understanding there will be other parallel routes through those developments. Did you see any evidence they've started construction on any buildings or infrastructure at Alstom? 

39 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Looks amazing!  Thanks for the pics. I haven't been along that segment and was aware that they were working on the public ROW.  It's my understanding there will be other parallel routes through those developments. Did you see any evidence they've started construction on any buildings or infrastructure at Alstom? 

They have cleared a part of the parking lot to the entrance of Alstom for that medical building so it has begun.  Next time I get out on a bike ride I’ll take some shots as a pass through Alstom and Foundry sites, the riverwalk brings you right under the giant riverport crane.  Highly recommend renting an electric bike from Bike Chattanooga and cruising that portion of the riverwalk one day

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Meant to post these for weeks now. These are from a couple days in March; one sunny and the other rainy. This will take me some time to organize after I get them uploaded. Patience. I'll try to make some sense of them to you.

Newly renovated Miller Park and Solomon Federal Courthouse 

Chattanooga March 20231000 (2).JPG

Market Street Warehouse Row

Chattanooga March 20231000 (4).JPG

LaQuinta Hotel at 13th and Cowart Streets

Chattanooga March 20231000 (8).JPG

Chattanooga March 20231000 (10).JPG

Moxy Hotel

Chattanooga March 20231000 (11).JPG

Southside Housing Continues

Chattanooga March 20231000 (19).JPG

Chattanooga March 20231000 (23).JPG