Jump to content

Charlotte Tech News


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

 "transitioning the consumer credit portfolio to Synchrony Financial"

I don't know exactly what they (https://synchronycareers.com/about-us/charlotte-nc/) do in Charlotte, but some of it probably is managed here

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Enter thread to read Tech News, instead it's about whether or not to move graves lol

I know we talked about this report before but here is a great summary from CBRE on Scoring Top Tech Talent. Charlotte had the 4th biggest brain gain in North America after Toronto, San Fran Bay a

From Charlotte Ledger newsletter (which I really like if you haven't signed up yet):

Posted Images

Synchrony  Financial down in Ballantyne manages credit cards for retailers like Lowes for example.  So who knows they might do it for paypal too they also have an office in Atlanta. 

 

As for Raleigh  and Cary they have major offices for Citrix, Dude Solution, Epic Games, Ipreo based in NY, LexisNexis, HCL Technologies, of course Cary based SAS, plus Oracle, and Infosys is adding 2000 tech jobs in Raleigh last count I heard was up to 500. Not to mention major companies like MetLife, Credit Suisse, Fidelity Investments etc that have huge technology operations there.    Many smaller Silicon Valley companies are opening up offices there to scale their business in a more affordable place.  

But it is great that both Charlotte and Raleigh Durham are attracting tech jobs.  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not attacking the question above which deserves an answer.  But, I get a little tired of the premise of the conversation. Is it really the point that PP expanded somewhere else or not? Who knows what was missed and WTH cares??? It was morally despicable politics and obviously a stain on the state which moved us towards being a laughingstock like MS or AL. It's embarrassing.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Synchrony  Financial down in Ballantyne manages credit cards for retailers like Lowes for example.  So who knows they might do it for paypal too they also have an office in Atlanta. 

 

As for Raleigh  and Cary they have major offices for Citrix, Dude Solution, Epic Games, Ipreo based in NY, LexisNexis, HCL Technologies, of course Cary based SAS, plus Oracle, and Infosys is adding 2000 tech jobs in Raleigh last count I heard was up to 500. Not to mention major companies like MetLife, Credit Suisse, Fidelity Investments etc that have huge technology operations there.    Many smaller Silicon Valley companies are opening up offices there to scale their business in a more affordable place.  

But it is great that both Charlotte and Raleigh Durham are attracting tech jobs.  

There's a big difference between crappy outsourcing body shops like HCL and Infosys, and companies like Facebook, Apple, Amazon, and Google.

Our local politicians don't realize it, but not all tech jobs are created equal. Raleigh not having any of the last two generations of tech companies, it's not a good sign.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I will put this article from the new Charlotte Ledger here as it talks more about the tech job growth in Charlotte.   We have always been FIN but now we are becoming more finTECH.  And our list of technology employers is very diversified and all business related.  

https://charlotteledger.substack.com/p/breaking-lowes-picks-charlotte-for

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

I think this is about their 2nd building this is what Business NC emailed out last Thursday about a major press conference but they thought it was last week.  I hope it is bigger and taller than 6 stories. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KJHburg said:

I think this is about their 2nd building this is what Business NC emailed out last Thursday about a major press conference but they thought it was last week.  I hope it is bigger and taller than 6 stories. 

Yeah...I hope the second building is a little bit more unique, however, from earlier renderings, it was an identical tower linked with a sky-bridge connecting the two.  I've heard they have some cool plans for the other building they own at the Music Factory across the street (warehouse looking one).  Possible indoor basketball court/rec courts and food hall.  Would love to see a conference hotel on that site too...there is still a lot of land over there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, UrbanCharlotte said:

:yawn:

AVID.JPG

I find it hard to care about this, because the Music Factory is a *terrible* location. It's completely inaccessible from basically every other part of the greater uptown area. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, wilmore said:

I find it hard to care about this, because the Music Factory is a *terrible* location. It's completely inaccessible from basically every other part of the greater uptown area. 

That’s sadly true unless you take a stroll through the cemetery or something, and even then you can only cross the railroad tracks at Johnson Street. I hope that the future Graham Street Station on the Silver Line will one day help to make it more accessible, but even that looks challenging.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

If only people could be convinced to move the cemetery. I really doubt the current tenants would mind, just their families/churches.

Not sure that moving a historic cemetery that was already divided by the interstate would be necessary. It seems to me that the railroad tracks, 277 and ADM Milling are the biggest challenges to connecting the Music Factory to the city. It is out on an isolated island.

C79FE0B9-179A-41F9-BE97-C1E29B37FA14.jpeg.4e408722a46ea3b37a9cfaf9c81ee42c.jpeg

Edited by King of the Queen City
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, King of the Queen City said:

Not sure that moving a historic cemetery that was already divided by the interstate would be necessary. It seems to me that the railroad tracks, 277 and ADM Milling are the biggest challenges to connecting the Music Factory to the city. It is out on an isolated island.

It's definitely not necessary. Not while there are still parking lots uptown. However, cemeteries are wastes of space especially in such a high value area.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.