KJHburg

Charlotte Tech News

This thread is going wildly off track, but there's a great Planet Money story about cemeteries in the US and how unique "forever" is to this country. https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2018/04/17/603360426/how-american-cemeteries-promise-to-keep-your-grave-forever

(the podcast episode goes a lot more in depth than the video: https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2016/01/27/464628054/episode-679-you-asked-for-it

Edited by tozmervo
  • Like 4

A lot can be done to improve the connectivity of Elmwood Cemetery to the urban fabric, but removing it would be thoughtless and lazy. There is a lot of undeveloped land just within 277. As the urban core grows, places such as these should be planned around carefully, not removed...

• Like 4

Maybe saying "ever" is a bit much. Sometimes situations arise that may require moving, and in absolute necessary occasions I'm OK with that, but I would not agree with one of my ancestors being relocated for a tower or a grand pedestrian path. It just doesn't sit well with me. 

• Like 3

Sorry for my part in helping take the tangent further. Btw, I think those who disagree with me on this have very valid points. I just don't feel the same reverence for the final resting place, moreso it's the memory of the person and who they were. That's what is important to me.

I'll try to get this back on topic. According to CBREs annual tech talent report, Charlotte added tech jobs at the second fastest rate in the 50 cities that were studied in North America (beaten by Toronto). The QC saw its tech talent pool increase by 48.4% from 2013 to 2018! 

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/charlotte-shines-among-top-tech-markets/967881940

• Like 4

4 hours ago, King of the Queen City said:

It’s six feet under.

This is r/punpatrol! Put your hands in the air!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Since Salesforce now has an office here with the acquisition of MapAnything, when are we getting a Salesforce tower? Read somewhere that there are 9 of them now

• Like 1

15 hours ago, joenc said:

Since Salesforce now has an office here with the acquisition of MapAnything, when are we getting a Salesforce tower? Read somewhere that there are 9 of them now

I was just at the Salesforce Tower in London (old Heron Tower)... would love another 700+ft tower in Charlotte!

BTW, that part of London (around Liverpool Station) is exploding with growth. Felt like our Stonewall corridor.

1 hour ago, Scribe said:

I was just at the Salesforce Tower in London (old Heron Tower)... would love another 700+ft tower in Charlotte!

BTW, that part of London (around Liverpool Station) is exploding with growth. Felt like our Stonewall corridor.

Did you get blown off the sidewalk?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1