Charlotte Tech News

KJHburg

3 minutes ago, wilmore said:

Weird they would not mention how many people were affected. 

This has definitely hit the parking world hard as ParkWhiz & SpotHero both had significant furloughs/layoffs as well in response to COVID-19. 

I think their demand for their product is really going down right now.  I know of several cities that have suspended parking meters (not sure if Charlotte has and they are not a Passport customer ironically) 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I think their demand for their product is really going down right now.  I know of several cities that have suspended parking meters (not sure if Charlotte has and they are not a Passport customer ironically) 

On the other hand, you have companies like LAZ who run the parking for the building I work in and they're being real jerks about not letting people out of their monthly parking contracts without a 30-day notice, and then if people cancel their parking and want to get it again when this is over they have to get on a waitlist. They've apparently been sending out really awful emails to people.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Madison Parkitect said:

On the other hand, you have companies like LAZ who run the parking for the building I work in and they're being real jerks about not letting people out of their monthly parking contracts without a 30-day notice, and then if people cancel their parking and want to get it again when this is over they have to get on a waitlist. They've apparently been sending out really awful emails to people.

SP Plus (Standard?) let me put April on hold.  No payment and will get my spot back when things resume.  Really appreciated that.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Some employees are likely having a hard time containing their emotions right now. Every cancellation / pause to a monthly contract means more of their fellow co-workers will likely be laid off as revenue dwindles for 45+ days. The parking manager for garages may even be at risk. Especially with Uptown parking, many LAZ employees are probably struggling feeling sympathetic to clients that by and large are middle class or upper class and working from home with full pay and benefits. As clients describe their plight of paying for parking still to a working class / lower class employment base in parking operations that is at risk of full termination, sympathy starts to dwindle.  

Not saying that's the right thing, but I know many people are scared for their jobs right now and sometimes the "customer first" mindset can switch to survival mode. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

San Fran based fintech firm Figure Technologies opening a virtual office in Charlotte for now with permanent space to come.

https://www.americaninno.com/charlotte/west-coast-fintech-company-is-expanding-operations-into-charlotte/

This is a cool one, they are a Unicorn (billion in valuation) start up. They have a lot of room to grow.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2020 at 9:33 AM, KJHburg said:

Look what city is atop the list of STEM job growth and where the jobs will be in the future?  and 2 cities in the top 5 why that is great.

https://www.wraltechwire.com/2020/08/04/where-are-stem-jobs-charlotte-is-no-1-raleigh-no-5-in-new-index/

By Metropolitan Area do they mean Raleigh MSA or Raleigh/Durham CSA? Because RTP is mostly in Durham County and the park is basically nothing but STEM job galore.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, carolina1792 said:

By Metropolitan Area do they mean Raleigh MSA or Raleigh/Durham CSA? Because RTP is mostly in Durham County and the park is basically nothing but STEM job galore.  

I never know with these national studies like this if they mean Raleigh Cary MSA or the Durham Chapel Hill MSA or the consolidated area.   Many times both Durham and Raleigh show up. 

• Like 2