Charlotte Tech News

KJHburg

6 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Unfortunately they chose to expand in cities where they already had some offices Dallas, NY, Detroit etc.  with the hostile business climate of Seattle I would hope they would spread more jobs around around like to NC tech in Charlotte or the Triangle financial type jobs to Charlotte.  

https://www.cpexecutive.com/post/amazon-planning-1-4b-office-expansion-in-6-cities/

More angst in Seattle with Amazon jobs

https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/news/2020/08/18/seattle-biz-groups-blast-council-payroll-tax.html

NC and the Charlotte Regional Biz Alliance should make frequent trips to San Fran, the Bay area and Seattle in terms of recruiting even small offices to NC and Charlotte and allow them to grown.  Ask CreditKarma how they feel about Charlotte as they continue to expand here. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Unlikely, they are hiring like crazy in Nashville so I'm sure that's where most of the positions will be in the south east.  I think they are just finishing up the first tower on Church St. 

31 minutes ago, SoDoSoPa said:

Unlikely, they are hiring like crazy in Nashville so I'm sure that's where most of the positions will be in the south east.  I think they are just finishing up the first tower on Church St. 

That's a good point.  

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

That's good news.  Financial services requires a lot of tech expertise, so Charlotte obviously has a big talent pool, as does the Triangle (though for reasons other than finance).

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

this seems to be big local tech news.

""Digital brands and marketing company Red Ventures said yes to a $500 million deal to acquire ViacomCBS' CNET Media Group. This latest buy adds to Red Ventures' rapid growth trajectory and, more specifically, to an expanding focus on digital media. The CNET acquisition adds to the company's ability to help people make big decisions, said Marc McCollum, president of the media and technology group at Red Ventures. It already provides content for home services, health, financial services, education and travel. McCollum said CNET offers a door into consumer electronics, gaming and automotives. CNET includes multiple brands, including TVGuide, ZDNet and Gamespot, among others. He is leading plans to build a media business within the company. "When the opportunity presented itself, we had no other option but to pursue it because we felt like the mission of the two organizations is so completely aligned," McCollum said. He said the goal is to invest in CNET to drive growth there.""

from todays Biz Journal

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/09/14/details-on-red-ventures-500m-deal-with-viacomcbs.html

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good read about the David and Goliath battle between mega company Apple Inc. and smaller Epic Games of Cary.   Apple sure sounds monopolistic from the way they are acting.  And I agree with this author they may win the battle but not the war.  

https://www.wraltechwire.com/2020/09/28/epic-games-vs-apple-inc-why-apple-may-win-this-legal-skirmish-but-lose-the-war/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Good read about the David and Goliath battle between mega company Apple Inc. and smaller Epic Games of Cary.   Apple sure sounds monopolistic from the way they are acting.  And I agree with this author they may win the battle but not the war.  

https://www.wraltechwire.com/2020/09/28/epic-games-vs-apple-inc-why-apple-may-win-this-legal-skirmish-but-lose-the-war/

Learn more about the Epic store. This is a battle of when asshats collide 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, RugbyPike#11 said:

Yeah, Epic’s valuation is roughly $15 billion. It’s more of a story of Goliath vs. a much bigger Goliath. There’s really no David in this case haha. 

Apples valuation is close to $2 TRILLION vs.  $36 Billion from June 2020 for Epic Games.    Big  difference in market cap in my book .   

• Like 2

11 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Apples valuation is close to $2 TRILLION vs.  $36 Billion from June 2020 for Epic Games.    Big  difference in market cap in my book .   

Tencent (almost 50% owner of Epic with other half being the founder of Epic) is valued at $623B. There very very few companies relatively close to the size of Apple but they are fairly close

15 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

Learn more about the Epic store. This is a battle of when asshats collide 

My 9-year-old and 7-year-old just earned $40 from a dog sitting job. Guess where they want to put every penny of that money?

Fortnite V-Bucks :tw_tounge_xd:... at least they're mostly supporting our local NC economy. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1