New Bonney Road Development

vdogg

54 minutes ago, urbanvb said:

It's may be the old hotel site near Extended America or something like that. It was previously a staging area while parts of Town Center were built. 

It is that site. The GPIN/tax ID on the application is for that piece of property. 

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 5:14 AM, urbanlife said:

If the Convergence buildings would have been built into a couple urban buildings a part of the Town Center, it would have added two Clark Nexsen size buildings to the downtown.

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 9:38 AM, metalman said:

....or like one Westin tower.   :)

We don't get things like that because no one in any position of power here has vision or balls to go for that.

Edited by Virginia City
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Virginia City said:

We don't get things like that because no one in any position of power here has vision or balls to go for that.

Of course those in power (surely sans balls and balding) would counter that neither the market demand nor the price of land supports/justifies investments in such lofty items. The Bankers agree, and sadly, that's all that matters. (As much as I'd like things to be different....)

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 1

On 9/3/2018 at 1:05 PM, baobabs727 said:

Of course those in power (surely sans balls and balding) would counter that neither the market demand nor the price of land supports/justifies investments in such lofty items. The Bankers agree, and sadly, that's all that matters. (As much as I'd like things to be different....)

That is true, places like Virginia Beach don't have a history of urban developments and their zoning makes it so suburban developments are still the more ideal forms. Therefore getting a developer to take a risk on building urban towers and having banks willingly loan for those buildings is a hard pressed thing to get. Much easier to build office parks and strip malls in a city that is known for that and I don't see that changing much in the future even with the developments that have happened at the Town Center.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
19 minutes ago, vdogg said:

what's going on with this property? At first I thought they were just using it for a staging area, but it looks as though they're actually clearing land and putting down markers. Anybody know what's going on?

Only things on in the planning database are the mixed used proposal and a waterfront permit for trails behind the property. Based on the 811 database it sounds like it might be related to the latter. A couple contractors have requested markings related to the trail project. 

• Thanks 1

Yes. They are building phase 2 of the Thalia Creek Greenway project in the back towards the creek. 

Basically the trail will connect Virginia Beach Blvd and follow the creek to Independence, and eventually will include a crossing across 264 to Mt Trashmore. It's being rolled out in 6 phases.

https://www.vbgov.com/government/departments/parks-recreation/design-development-projects/Pages/thalia-greenway.aspx

image.thumb.png.8a69895540c60939f979bea2ff62769b.png

Also there is definitely being something proposed for this site, its just still in the early stages.  The applicant intends to purchase the property from the eco dev authority and develop it into a mixed-use project including apartments, hotel, retail, and offices. The number of units and development area will ultimately depend on factors such as CBPA buffers, wetlands, and the Thalia Creek Greenway walking path.  

Edited by Up2313
  • Like 1

On 2/21/2019 at 2:11 PM, baobabs727 said:

Mr. Cutchins just told me that this project is still "percolating" and that he is hoping for an announcement within the next 30 days.

Which is right around the time of Virginia Beach’s State of the City. It’d be nice to hear something then.

• 2 months later...

So, if I’m reading this correctly, 100,000 to 140,000 sq ft office tower (about the same as the block 11tower), possible 60,000 sq second office tower with bio company as anchor (Va. Beach tech/bio push finally starting to pay off?), 240 unit multi family, and 782 unit parking garage. Did I miss anything? Fairly meaty development for that plot of land. 

A5EB1AC6-4B02-414C-A2E7-02FA1FD933B0.jpeg

Ok. So, first building will be 60,000 sq ft and second will be 60, (maybe 80) 000 sq ft. Significant challenges determining what the soil will support due to it being wetlands. Presentation starts about 12 minutes in.

• 1 year later...

This just popped up in planning. Greater than 70% odds it's related to this project.

Applicant:

Brad David Martin
Clark Design Group
824 West 21st Street
Norfolk, VA, 23517
United States
Phone 1 (Do not enter dashes) :
757-574-5454
[email protected]

Project Description:

Greenway Office Park
Bonney Road Office

Owner:

CITY OF VIRGINIA BEACH
2401 COURTHOUSE DR
VIRGINIA BEACH VA 234569120

ExpandMore Details

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

On 7/13/2020 at 12:01 PM, vdogg said:

This just popped up in planning. Greater than 70% odds it's related to this project.

Applicant:

Brad David Martin
Clark Design Group
824 West 21st Street
Norfolk, VA, 23517
United States
Phone 1 (Do not enter dashes) :
[email protected]

Project Description:

Greenway Office Park
Bonney Road Office

Owner:

CITY OF VIRGINIA BEACH
2401 COURTHOUSE DR
VIRGINIA BEACH VA 234569120

ExpandMore Details

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

This design firm is a landscape design firm founded by local Clark Olsen.  I know him from local AM radio. They specialize in decorative pavers, pools and landscapes.

https://clarkbuildinggroup.com

Edited by baobabs727

23 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

This design firm is a landscape design firm founded by local Clark Olsen.  I know him from local AM radio. They specialize in decorative pavers, pools and landscapes.

https://clarkbuildinggroup.com

It appears I accidentally left out of my screen shot the part where it said it was a new office Park development for Bonney Road.

Ahh! LOLOL that woulda helped, yeah
. ;-))))))

I went back and re-watched both the development authority and Council meetings only to recall that I had already watched them last year ha ha....but anyway. I’m looking forward to seeing what all this fancy paver / landscaping stuff will be all about because that’s what Clark does.

If I know anything about Cecil Cutchins, it’s that he does everything first class. I sent him another email since it has been 18 month since he and I have corresponded about this project. I’ll tell you what he says. We’ve been talking about it almost 30 some months together. Time flies.

Edited by baobabs727

Mr. Cutchins has kindly responded to my email. He indicates that there have been multiple issues with this development site. Wetlands. Underground structures. Easements. Tremendous difficulties in dealing with the stormwater.  Multiple delays re: Chesapeake Bay Board approval—first from the mass shooting aftermath, then from the Covid pandemic. He finally received their approval quite recently. Other issues....

Three buildings are proposed. Two four story structures @64,000 sf each, and one three story structure 48,000 sf.  He did not provide a timeline.  This project has been in the works for quite some time now, so he sounds ready to move on it. 

The rendering, below, is a preliminary design for building “A”, the lone three-story building.

02038AE9-DA23-4240-B481-D61A5D43D388.jpeg

2E4F2F71-4CD2-4917-A066-2C76C700A2F5.jpeg

C83F6F02-C994-49B9-B95E-4D50D1555BF7.jpeg

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 1