Savona Mill, Lakewood Trolley, Greenway

JacksonH

• 3 months later...

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Fred Stiening said:

Those tracks were part of the Piedmont and Northern Railroad, an electrified interurban railroad owned and operated by Duke Power.  There was a passenger station and freight Depot in the area West of Graham Street.  The underpass under the NS tracks is currently a pedestrian walkway connecting BofA stadium with parking.  The line ran to Gastonia and is being considered as one route for the possible future light rail lne to the airport.

When phase 2 of the Gold Line is finished, the replica street cars used today will be replaced by higher capacity, faster cars similar to those in use on the blue line.   That may free them up for this use.   Car 85 and the replica cars cannot be used in regular service on the blue line because they lack the centralized computer control systems and are too slow.   The tracks down by Atherton Mill where the cars were originally stored have been removed.

Thanks for the post Fred, welcome to Urban Planet!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
31 minutes ago, a2theb said:

What has been the holdup with Savona Mill? I feel like Blue Blaze has gotten kind've screwed on Savona Mill taking so long

Being a complicated old building being redeveloped by someone who specializes in small less complicated buildings. 

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

That is the old trolley from Greece that ran the Piraeus-Athens line. Piraeus is the port for Athens. It sat in the Atherton barn with 85 for years. It occasionally was pushed onto the track where the light rail is now in the later 90's as a display. It sat out there during a Greek festival or two and for wedding party photos as I recall. It has (had) mechanical brakes, not hydraulic and would NEVER operate on a passenger line. In other words one had to be a he-man's he-man to muscle the brake lever on the car.

As an example of the possibilities and for photos it is a good choice. It is attractive, in good aesthetic condition and plenty of wood inside. It is also quite small with limited passenger space. This is for press purposes, I am sure.

Car 1 ran for several years by generator and also via catenary wire (as shown below) on the South Blvd. (Norfolk Southern) corridor along with 85. It was put on display at Atherton Market after light rail began running.  

Image result for charlotte trolley

You educate me. I was at trolley 2001-2008 and it sat that time, and had the characteristics I described above. I was a motorman from 2001-2004 when the #85 closed for light rail construction. The small frame building seen on the right of your photo above  was prior to my time in 2001. This must have been before my time and my educators misled me about that previous time.   The catenary wire was installed  maybe forty feet  (or so) outside, ( and no further) and then  into the barn. I worked this #85 there may times and recall it quite well. The generator was not to operate inside the building, thus the short distance of wire. The wire further out to Tremont and onto the main line was set for the Gomaco replicars that ran 2008-2009 for weekend tourist service which I also worked with CATS personnel.

Tell me more about this #1 running. This is news to me.

Here is Dan Morrill writing about Car #1

http://www.cmhpf.org/essays/trolley1.html

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Greenway in full construction no photos.  Here are a couple of the Portman owned Savona Mill to be redeveloped.  Consider these some before photos.  this is an exciting project 600 apartments and whole lot of creative office space. 

Savona Mill

I'm happy the mill is being saved and repurposed but disappointed the original plan fell through to have artisans and crafts people working there and selling their crafts, and restaurants and an old trolley to get there from Uptown.  That would have been so cool, so very unique and great for tourism.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JacksonH said:

I'm happy the mill is being saved and repurposed but disappointed the original plan fell through to have artisans and crafts people working there and selling their crafts, and restaurants and an old trolley to get there from Uptown.  That would have been so cool, so very unique and great for tourism.

Did the trolley plan fall through? That’s disappointing if that’s the case. Hopefully the city/CATS preserves this corridor in the future for a Gold Line spur. 

Just now, Third Strike said:

Did the trolley plan fall through? That’s disappointing if that’s the case. Hopefully the city/CATS preserves this corridor in the future for a Gold Line spur. 

I don't know whether the trolley plan fell through, but with the entertainment/education aspect of Savona mill being discarded, I doubt there would be much interest in taking old trolley rides because the trolley no longer has a fun destination.