Savona Mill, Lakewood Trolley, Greenway

JacksonH

14 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

I usually come down squarely on the side of property owners, and at the end of the day I probably do in this case as well, but a couple of thoughts in Blue Blaze defense.

1) they taking that risk to open (with previous owner to Portman) created value there for mill owner

2) the building itself is pretty cheap quality, and maybe not worth full "market" rent for the area

3) I can only assume Blue Blaze spent a fair amount of capital for brewery systems, much of what could be lost, as I assume relocating that equipment is very expensive

All that said, Blue Blaze should have known the risks when signing what I assume was a 5 year lease. 

Lastly, and this is pure speculation, but wouldn't surprise me if Portman would prefer to have no tenant so they can demo/redevelop that part of the site.

Yes, the opportunity cost of blue blaze there is probably significant to Portman.

15 hours ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Wow, another example of landlords aggressively raising rent 

https://twitter.com/CltLedger/status/1584877821532721154?s=20&t=Y-FbfcZsKQKmv1nZDZOIbw

Not being cynical but could they be raising the rent on Blue Blaze to allow Sycamore to come into there as they are a tenant and have a relationship with them from Southend?  I hope Blue Blaze finds another location close by. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Since this is right by Savona Mill and near the current site of Blue Blaze I will put this here.

""Texas developer Kairoi Residential is gearing up for its next Charlotte project, a multifamily community on the city's west side.

Kairoi, based in San Antonio, filed a petition with the city of Charlotte on Jan. 2 to rezone 6 acres at 650 State St. from industrial to mixed-use development. Tyler Sibley, Kairoi principal of development, said the project will be about 500,000 square feet with 450 luxury apartments and will include a sky pool and amenity package. No ground-floor retail is planned at this time. Renderings were not yet available.

"We're going to have some unique private open space that kind of backs into everything that's happening at the greenway, and we're really excited about how everything else happening in the neighborhood will mesh together," he said.""

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/01/06/kairoi-residential-apartment-community-luxury.html?

this is right across State St from Lower Tuck and that has retail. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I worked at Bruns Avenue School in the 1970's and those streets such as Coxe, Katonah, Mahopac, and State* had some of the worst conditions. Rental homes without heat, children smell of kerosene, pervasive dirt, scabies, grandmothers without teeth. I had a 12 year old student who had given birth to a child. Like India it was. More than I could deal with. But a real education for this person and, I hope, a few of the young people who certainly could use it. At the end of a dead end street, bottom of a hill, by the railroad track. What. A. Change.

*I recall the names easily as they made such an impression on me.  Most of the staff was inspired despite the considerations. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 11/9/2023 at 7:30 PM, KJHburg said:

Wow this looks awesome photos from the Biz Journal article about construction wrapping up there.  Portman has another winner in this project.

Savona Mill in FreeMoreWest seeks retail, office users after $70M project - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

""A $70 million overhaul of the historic Savona Mill in Charlotte's West End has reached the finish line.

Redevelopment of the 108-year-old textile mill began in February 2022 and is slated to deliver within the week. The project, led by Atlanta-based developer Portman Holdings, encompasses about 180,000 square feet of office space, 20,000 square feet of ground-floor retail, several outdoor and open-air patio spaces, a rooftop deck and an outdoor plaza that leads to a small amphitheater for live music and public community events.

John Ball, Foundry Commercial market leader, said although no tenants have signed leases yet, interest is high.""

The first, Savona Residences Phase 1, is a 321-unit community that is under construction now. It is expected to deliver in late 2024. The second phase will include up to 329 units. A start date on that portion of the project was not immediately available""

savona-mill-completed-tour-mk050.jpg

savona-mill-completion-tour-mk028.jpg

savona-mill-completed-tour-mk051.jpg

Can they advise us on the Carolina theater restoration?🫤

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...