FNB Tower 401 S Graham St (29 floors - 365 feet)

KJHburg

3 hours ago, orulz said:

There are these things called gas insulated substations that are like 1/6 the size and are contained in a building. One of Duke's predecessors installed several of them in Chapel Hill with extra funding from the university, but they are preparing to build their first such substation entirely on their own dime near the corner of Clingman & Patton in downtown Asheville.

https://ashvegas.com/duke-energy-unveils-plans-for-first-gas-insulated-electrical-substation-asheville

Part of the reason they agreed to this is community opposition. While they actually have the authority to condemn property and build this sort of thing over objections (after an environmental impact study, I believe) they do not generally like to do this. But the other part of this is that it frees up a big portion of the lot for them to sell off and develop. They bought a property on a prominent corner that was about the right size for a conventional substation, but property values around there are high enough that they can recover a significant chunk of the extra construction cost by selling off the land.

The reason I bring this up is that, while Duke will be in no hurry to replace a substation before its equipment reaches end of life, once the equipment does come up for replacement, I'd bet that this approach could be on the table for a location like this. That is, if the Asheville project goes well for them. If Asheville is any indication, community involvement will be key.

I'm surprised the Panthers haven't lobbied for this by now..

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Dang - Seeing how large the deck is above the baseball stadium already, this thing is going to Tower / Impose greatly once fully completed.

I believe there one or two more levels of Parking before the Building starts.

One more parking floor, and then the L shaped tower will rise.

4 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

I’m legit more excited for this tower than any other. It is bringing real height to the city that is further off the Trade / Tryon axis than any other building in the city except for The Vue (and really this one is a half block farther out as it sits on the back side of the block towards Graham ;) )

Real quick question. How did the Vue get approved in 4th Ward in the first  place? A modern residential skyscraper in the middle of an historic Victorian neighborhood?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, navigator319 said:

This is going to be commanding from the park.

927784b72d6335063291e19765631c45.jpg

I suspect that this will be topped out by this time next year (Dec 2020) if its Concrete Construction or even earlier if it’s Structural Steel.  I believe the building  interior finishes and opening is scheduled for completion sometime in early 2021.

Edited by Hushpuppy321
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...