FNB Tower 401 S Graham St (29 floors - 365 feet)

KJHburg

This building feels wider than I pictured it would. I suppose dimensions can be deceiving, but the renderings made me feel this would be thinner than it is. Not complaining at all - I think that's a great thing - but just an observation.

The garage floors are the shortest, so as it transitions to office which will be 30% taller and residential which will be 15% taller it will start to stretch out. Not to mention it goes from being a box, to an L once it changes to residential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

The garage floors are the shortest, so as it transitions to office which will be 30% taller and residential which will be 15% taller it will start to stretch out. Not to mention it goes from being a box, to an L once it changes to residential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the residential units will align the side of the building right? And not sit on top of the office space? 

On 1/16/2020 at 5:10 PM, TheOneRJ said:

1599674C-489D-44D3-88BA-BB7252D10DCB.jpeg

I hate really visible parking garages but for some reason I have hope for how this one will turn out. This section of Uptown is going to get a lot more energy. Are there any plans yet of actual retail? 

Edited by j-man

11 hours ago, j-man said:

So the residential units will align the side of the building right? And not sit on top of the office space? 

I hate really visible parking garages but for some reason I have hope for how this one will turn out. This section of Uptown is going to get a lot more energy. Is there any plans yet if actual retail? 

It will sit on top of the office, as will its amenity deck.

This is from before the tower got 2 floors shorter, but this is still the basic idea.

Screen Shot 2020-02-03 at 8.36.17 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-03 at 8.35.46 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-03 at 8.35.34 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-03 at 8.35.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-03 at 8.35.26 AM.png

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

IIRC, that one retail spot at the bottom is going to be a branch.  I was kind of hoping that they could sneak in another small retail of something...but with the combo office/residential...it appears there's not a lot of space in there for additional retail.  Would be cool if they could retrofit some of the frontage of the Mint deck into some retail spots between the residence inn and this tower as well.  But for now...looks like little Graham St pub hit the jack pot and will be holding down that corner for awhile now.

I was hoping they could have like one little space for retail even if it was like 1,000 square feet lol. But yeah that deck would be ideal for retail and possibly they could screen that entire deck

2 minutes ago, j-man said:

I was hoping they could have like one little space for retail even if it was like 1,000 square feet lol. But yeah that deck would be ideal for retail and possibly they could screen that entire deck

I think that deck has maybe a 5 year lifespan left. I don't foresee any changes to it. It's becoming more and more prime, and when Duke sells their old HQ, like they did with their Original HQ (where Element, Catalyst, Current Ally and their parking deck sits today), I think we will see a two block redevelopment.

4 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I think that deck has maybe a 5 year lifespan left. I don't foresee any changes to it. It's becoming more and more prime, and when Duke sells their old HQ, like they did with their Original HQ (where Element, Catalyst, Current Ally and their parking deck sits today), I think we will see a two block redevelopment.

Well for starters that deck takes up way too much space for so little parking. And it’s crazy to think that they’re  building this to fit in that little corner that’s left left on the lot and now they may possibly demolish it. Ugh

Edited by j-man
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, j-man said:

Well for starters that deck takes up way too much space for so little parking. And it’s crazy to think they they are building this to fit in that little corner left on they lot and now they may possibly demolish it. Ugh

Not crazy at all. It sets the tone for similar density on the rest of the block, once the deck is Demo'd.  It starts at 29 floors, so the rest of the lot would develop similarly.

Edited by Guest

That is why denser taller decks like Legacy are actually better than a low rise deck like Duke's.  However when that deck was built there was nothing in that area and the stadium was being built.  It was truly on the edge of uptown.  I foresee it will be redeveloped in the future when don't know. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Not crazy at all. It sets the tone for similar density on the rest of the block, once the deck is Demo'd.  It starts at 29 floors, so the rest of the lot would develop similarly.

I get that but if the deck were already demolished I’m sure the architect for FNB wouldn’t purposefully design it to be like that. I’m sure the deck for FNB would be either underground, wrapped, or behind it. It’s the same for Ascent tower. They only made it like that because of the tiny square that was left on that lot as well.

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

That is why denser taller decks like Legacy are actually better than a low rise deck like Duke's.  However when that deck was built there was nothing in that area and the stadium was being built.  It was truly on the edge of uptown.  I foresee it will be redeveloped in the future when don't know. 

Yeah I totally understand. I’m sure there may be another deck put in the redevelopment of the lot but a lot more dense and possible floors underground. And hopefully the hotel gets demolished with it.

Edited by j-man

17 minutes ago, j-man said:

I get that but if the deck were already demolished I’m sure the architect for FNB wouldn’t purposefully design it to be like that. I’m sure the deck would be either underground, wrapped, or behind it. It’s the same for Ascent tower. They only made it like that because of the tiny square that was left on that lot as well.

Yeah I totally understand. I’m sure there may be another deck put in the redevelopment of the lot but a lot more dense and possible floors underground. And hopefully the hotel gets demolished with it.

Then we should be thankful it didn't happen any other way. 

14 hours ago, j-man said:

What do you mean...I actually do wish it happened another way. 

So you want this building to take up a bigger footprint? I sure don't. I think now the rest of the block is forced to be dense. Otherwise it possible it gets replaced by one tower, with a very large parking deck. Now you are going to have at least 2, maybe 3.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

So you want this building to take up a bigger footprint? I sure don't. I think now the rest of the block is forced to be dense. Otherwise it possible it gets replaced by one tower, with a very large parking deck. Now you are going to have at least 2, maybe 3.

No what I’m saying is that if this project had more area to work with, more office and residential units could have been added and the parking deck could possibly be on the side or completely underground like Duke 1 or Duke 2. Most importantly actual RETAIL could happen with more footprint to work with. I still hate the layout of Ascent apartments simply because of the hugely noticeable parking garage. Like I hate the concept of knowing that I’m sitting in a restaurant eating knowing there’s like a thousand cars parked above my head. Ugh

A4B65CC3-1C08-4735-964B-A2A41E5FB34D.jpeg

Edited by j-man

29 minutes ago, j-man said:

No what I’m saying is that if this project had more area to work with, more office and residential units could have been added and the parking deck could possibly be on the side or completely underground like Duke 1 or Duke 2. Most importantly actual RETAIL could happen with more footprint to work with. I still hate the layout of Ascent apartments simply because of the hugely noticeable parking garage. Like I hate the concept of knowing that I’m sitting in a restaurant eating knowing there’s like a thousand cars parked above my head. Ugh

A4B65CC3-1C08-4735-964B-A2A41E5FB34D.jpeg

Duke 2 will have above ground parking. People aren't burying parking because it costs 2.5x more to do.

Edited by Guest

9 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Duke 2 will have above ground parking. People aren't burying parking because it costs 2.5x more to do.

I know it will. I think you’re missing my point. Duke will have attached parking on the back side that will be hidden well, not the entire first 10 floors be parking then the office space starts. That is what I hate. I couldn’t image every tower in Uptown being on top of an above ground parking garage.

5 minutes ago, j-man said:

I know it will. I think you’re missing my point. Duke will have attached parking on the back side that will be hidden well, not the entire first 10 floors be parking then the office space starts. That is what I hate. I couldn’t image every tower in Uptown being on top of an above ground parking garage.

I would much rather have it integrated into the building footprint, than waste more space beside it. I don't like that Duke won't have a hotel tower built on top of its deck, seems like a big waste.

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, j-man said:

Building a tower on top of a parking deck is better, in my opinion. Reduces land waste and results in taller towers. Underground parking is more preferred, but less feasible

• Like 2

Grand Bohemian hotel is the best example of what I’m saying that I like. Parking is attached to the building but is not the entire ground floor. It goes up parallel  with the structure not the entire footprint of it. The lobby is the first floor, and the next floors are the rooms, not parking. 

02C39231-ACAC-4ABE-A6F7-CC8AF5A395DD.jpeg

5 minutes ago, j-man said:

Grand Bohemian hotel is the best example of what I’m saying that I like. Parking is attached to the building but is not the entire ground floor. It goes up parallel  with the structure not the entire footprint of it. The lobby is the first floor, and the next floors are the rooms, not parking. 

02C39231-ACAC-4ABE-A6F7-CC8AF5A395DD.jpeg

Actually you are incorrect. Parking is integrated into the building it makes up 2.3 of the first 3 floors. The deck entrance is on College.

image.thumb.png.011deb9ddacf4392fb54d3e944c063e2.png

Edited by Guest