FNB Tower 401 S Graham St (29 floors - 365 feet)

KJHburg

3 minutes ago, norm21499 said:

Building a tower on top of a parking deck is better, in my opinion. Reduces land waste and results in taller towers. Underground parking is more preferred, but less feasible

I get what y’all are saying but could y’all imaging Bank of America tower having 10-15 floors  above ground then the building starts, adding to the height that it is now being the tallest building in the city? 

2 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Actually you are incorrect. Parking is integrated into the building.

You’re right. Lol just checked, but only being a few floors in the front isn’t as bad as the nearly 10 floors in the back. BUT it is well hidden in the front with those panels, which goes to my point of it being less visible. 

4 minutes ago, j-man said:

I get what y’all are saying but could y’all imaging Bank of America tower having 10-15 floors  above ground then the building starts, adding to the height that it is now being the tallest building in the city? 

You’re right. Lol just checked, but only being a few floors in the front isn’t as bad as the nearly 10 floors in the back. BUT it is well hidden in the front with those panels, which goes to my point of it being less visible. 

You aren't making a unique point about hiding the decks. Theres about 17 years of me complaining about this issue on this board, and we all agree with you.

6 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

You aren't making a unique point about hiding the decks. Theres about 17 years of me complaining about this issue on this board, and we all agree with you.

I don’t think so because some have said they don’t. Well ok. I just have one more example and it is the Creative Village development in Orlando. Parking is truly not visible until you go to the other side of the block, tho is may be hidden once fully developed. 

F5D9D5A2-CC81-48BA-95A9-F7D7D32534D0.jpeg

3DAC9F43-A1BA-4937-8FFF-A849EF60AE29.jpeg

1 hour ago, theronhobbs said:

The suburban mentality of "parking deck to the side" is how the Church St corridor gained 10 exposed parking decks. With or without street-level retail in parking decks, urbanity can do better.

020420.JPG

This is actually a canvas. I see this being redeveloped before we see the majority of First Ward.

3 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

This is actually a canvas. I see this being redeveloped before we see the majority of First Ward.

I think we will see these decks consolidated into one giant deck and the rest developed.

17 minutes ago, j-man said:

I don’t think so because some have said they don’t. Well ok. I just have one more example and it is the Creative Village development in Orlando. Parking is truly not visible until you go to the other side of the block, tho is may be hidden once fully developed. 

F5D9D5A2-CC81-48BA-95A9-F7D7D32534D0.jpeg

3DAC9F43-A1BA-4937-8FFF-A849EF60AE29.jpeg

I can give you even better examples in Charlotte. One Wells Fargo has a deck hidden in it, so does 300 South Brevard, Hearst, and Avenue.  

I'm not certain I've ever seen someone advocate against screening a deck here.

Edited by Guest

I’m a fan of the integrated parking garage. Where it isn’t great is when they don’t spend the money to hide it well. But at least you don’t get a freestanding and ugly garage.  121 W Trade does this really well. I didn’t even know there was a garage in there for the longest time. 

Edited by Yeahdoug
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Yeahdoug said:

I’m a fan of the integrated parking garage. Where it isn’t great is when they don’t spend the money to hide it well. But at least you don’t get a freestanding and ugly garage.  121 W Trade does this really well. I didn’t even know there was a garage in there for the longest time. 

Thats one scary garage though if you have a car bigger than a mini cooper. 

25 minutes ago, Yeahdoug said:

Form over function I always say! :tw_tounge_wink:

Any of these freestanding garages have the for-thought to be built for a future tower on top? 

For the most part, no. I'd also say most of them are endangered species.

Looking north along S. Graham St.
296735991_FNBTower02_07_2020.thumb.jpg.07aaa63c152fc7f0355736f68f60c26b.jpg
Looking east along W. Martin Luther King Blvd.
1255735917_FNBTower2-02_07_2020.thumb.jpg.cd5ad9b6c71d00ec6b2fe5f3f27793c8.jpg
Looking south along S. Graham Street
1240523299_FNBTower3-02_07_2020.thumb.jpg.adc689e1300440ebfeeef22a2539fe22.jpg
Intersection of S. Graham St. and W. Martin Luther King Blvd.
1397569308_FNBTower4-02_07_2020.thumb.jpg.0e2e5d88094882f304b99d5c027a667b.jpg

We just shrug at a almost 400’ Tower now. Crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk