FNB Tower 401 S Graham St (29 floors - 365 feet)

KJHburg

3 hours ago, DMann said:

Duke owns the land at the substation and the are likely to maintain that forever unless a major activity occurs to influence them to move the facilities.  The electrical infrastructure is a network system and each station provide a key distributed network for that local region.  Now if a major activity comes along , like a new coliseum or huge high rise that the general population supports, alternate sites to move might be investigated, but finding new right of way  to alternatively serve those facilities is always difficult (if not impossible) in a developed city.  

The logistics of moving a substation like this are staggering, especially in a dense area like Uptown where all the utilities are underground.  The issue isn't even finding a new site really, but relocating all of the utilities to that new site.  A buddy in the know told me that the cost estimates would be in the Billions of dollars, not Millions once you factor in engineering, planning, real estate (ROW) acquisition, substation construction, and utility relocation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The logistics of moving a substation like this are staggering, especially in a dense area like Uptown where all the utilities are underground.  The issue isn't even finding a new site really, but relocating all of the utilities to that new site.  A buddy in the know told me that the cost estimates would be in the Billions of dollars, not Millions once you factor in engineering, planning, real estate (ROW) acquisition, substation construction, and utility relocation.

This is not true. There is a CBJ article about this substation from approximately 2012. The station at that time was in Dukes 20 year plan for removal. I want to say it had 40 million price tag at the time. if a good reason and partner were identified I could be done sooner. This is old I know, but someone who can should update this info with Duke.
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, navigator319 said:

This is not true. There is a CBJ article about this substation from approximately 2012. The station at that time was in Dukes 20 year plan for removal. I want to say it had 40 million price tag at the time. if a good reason and partner were identified I could be done sooner. This is old I know, but someone who can should update this info with Duke.

That would definitely be more palatable!  It would be interesting to see an updated proposal for that kind of a project and what work is included in the full number.  The world has changed a lot from 2012, and few places have changed more than Charlotte. 

Relocating or greatly reducing the footprint of that substation would open a ton of doors for that area of the city for both development and connectivity.  Maybe someone like Tepper has enough weight to make it happen.

Idk. I’m starting to just be happy for another tower instead of having excitement for this tower. Seems more bland the further it moves along. Idk. I guess I’m officially over the blue/grey glass boxes. Becoming underwhelmed.

Edited by j-man
  • Haha 3