Jump to content

KJHburg

FNB Tower 401 S Graham St (29 floors - 365 feet)

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Cadi40 said:

I’ll take the shade of glass! We have a few, but not many dark colored building in CLT. I’ll take it! Is there a hotel in this or no?

No.  Just office and apartments. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


I don’t mind the box in this instance. As@dubone said, they need space for an amenity deck, so unless they purchased the air rights over part of the existing deck (which would be preferable IMO,) the flat top is unavoidable. They could have done some screening on the 77-facing side to give a little more texture/depth at the top, but that’s about it.

So sure, the squareness could’ve been played off a bit better, but, given the limitations, they get a pass. Tryon Place, however...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Dale said:

If L-U and Tryon Place are gaining height ... maybe this one could too ?

I know I've been out for a couple of weeks and missed this, can someone please link me to the source for the "gaining height" at LU and TP?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had to scroll through because I thought I missed a different rendering or something.... What do you all like about this? It is very bland leaning towards ugly to me. I tried to convince myself it was just their unattractive logo, but I don't like this.

What am I missing that you all are seeing?? What has you excited about this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, HighRiseHillbilly said:

I had to scroll through because I thought I missed a different rendering or something.... What do you all like about this? It is very bland leaning towards ugly to me. I tried to convince myself it was just their unattractive logo, but I don't like this.

What am I missing that you all are seeing?? What has you excited about this?

Before I respond, can you tell me if you like this?

slide-1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Legacy tower a whole lot better than the proposed FNB Tower.  However I like the FNB tower for adding height in an area that there is none and the fact it might turn more towers off  1 block on either side of Tryon St.  It is expands the skyline.   I think it is a decent design but wonder about not having balconies for the apartments but not my problem I guess. 

A 31 story 390 foot tall tower in that location is a "winner" to me. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I think people are excited for 391 feet over this far west. Really stretches the skyline visually. I'm underwhelmed by the building myself. I like that the glass is on the grayer side, I like some of the subtle articulation, I like that it has a little bit of texture, but for the most part its a big box, with a bank branch on the bottom. Personally what perplexes me is that people are blowing their loads over this building, but crap all over Ally Center, a project that is the same height, that'll contribute thousands of workers, likely a JW Marriott (guessing) with 400 hotel rooms, and around 40,000 sq feet of non bank branch retail.  Thats what bugs me.

Ally  Center is visually more boring than this.  And we don’t know what the hotel will look like. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Personally what perplexes me is that people are blowing their loads over this building, but crap all over Ally Center, a project that is the same height, that'll contribute thousands of workers, likely a JW Marriott (guessing) with 400 hotel rooms, and around 40,000 sq feet of non bank branch retail. 

I like Ally better.  This is better than Legacy (by a lot).  I graded on a location curve.  This is a far better project than we could have expected for this location.  Finally, let me be clear:  I HATE BALCONIES ON TALL BUILDINGS!  If I lived there, it would likely be a decent amenity.  Architecturally and visually, balconies are awful.

2 minutes ago, Dale said:

Another reason why Tryon Place underwhelmed is that it was first to the gate, last out of the gate.

My ONLY issue with Ally is that the pretty good finished product won't be as good as the awesome initial rendering.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, QCT1401 said:

Also, it shows the power of expectations.  Tryon Place was the carrot that was dangled in front of everyone's noses for years as the incredible transformative project that would change the skyline forever.  Once the renderings were released, there was a let down.  This was just a gravel lot that nobody paid attention to, a bit off the beaten path.  If you put Tryon place on this same lot, people would love it too.

This!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, JBS said:

I like Ally better.  This is better than Legacy (by a lot).  I graded on a location curve.  This is a far better project than we could have expected for this location.  Finally, let me be clear:  I HATE BALCONIES ON TALL BUILDINGS!  If I lived there, it would likely be a decent amenity.  Architecturally and visually, balconies are awful.

My ONLY issue with Ally is that the pretty good finished product won't be as good as the awesome initial rendering.

I've talked at length with the people who inherited Tryon Place, and it just wasn't a versatile design for spec. Its was drawn for a specific tenant, and it just wasn't efficient for good diverse office programming. You have to build a design that works for all types of tenants, because you don't know who is going to work there. This is why all the most iconic towers in Charlotte were developed for single users, because they can steer the design. 

Edited by ricky_davis_fan_21
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I've talked at length with the people who inherited Tryon Place, and it just wasn't a versatile design for spec. Its was drawn for a specific tenant, and it just wasn't efficient for good diverse office programming. You have to build a design that works for all types of tenants, because you don't know who is going to work there. This is why all the most iconic towers in Charlotte were developed for single users, because they can steer the design. 

That doesn't change the fact Ally s a boring building. At least FNB has some articulation with its curtain wall and top. And I don't hate Ally, but I don't love it, either. I do hate Legacy. It's simply awful in every way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JBS said:

Before I respond, can you tell me if you like this?

slide-1.jpg

I don't dislike it, but I find it a little odd. I don't think that shape matches the height, but it's alright.

2 hours ago, Hunted said:

Fairly simple for me. It will add height/density to a sector that lacks it, and it ain't too shabby looking. Graham St has tons of potential.

I definitely love the height and density aspects of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I think people are excited for 391 feet over this far west. Really stretches the skyline visually. I'm underwhelmed by the building myself. I like that the glass is on the grayer side, I like some of the subtle articulation, I like that it has a little bit of texture, but for the most part its a big box, with a bank branch on the bottom. Personally what perplexes me is that people are blowing their loads over this building, but crap all over Ally Center, a project that is the same height, that'll contribute thousands of workers, likely a JW Marriott (guessing) with 400 hotel rooms, and around 40,000 sq feet of non bank branch retail.  Thats what bugs me.

I understand.

I confess I am exhausted,so maybe that little texture didn't really swing me. It is very much a plain box to me. 

That's just visually speaking of course. I think a lone bank branch at the bottom is a bad decision on their part. 

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I like Legacy tower a whole lot better than the proposed FNB Tower.  However I like the FNB tower for adding height in an area that there is none and the fact it might turn more towers off  1 block on either side of Tryon St.  It is expands the skyline.   I think it is a decent design but wonder about not having balconies for the apartments but not my problem I guess. 

A 31 story 390 foot tall tower in that location is a "winner" to me. 

Yes, location is great. Most comments were about the appearance of it though. 

I think someone mentioned balconies on the side?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, QCT1401 said:

Also, it shows the power of expectations.  Tryon Place was the carrot that was dangled in front of everyone's noses for years as the incredible transformative project that would change the skyline forever.  Once the renderings were released, there was a let down.  This was just a gravel lot that nobody paid attention to, a bit off the beaten path.  If you put Tryon place on this same lot, people would love it too.

Interesting take. Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^Not sure if any balconies are present I just saw the new rendering which is 2 sides.  I think it is okay design. 

Here is the lot in question today. 

IMG_6442.JPG

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like it simply for being Charlotte's first building of this popular style....much like I like both Tryon Place and Ally for filling architectural voids.....1970s "SoCal mod"and 1980's PoMo..... this is the generic style du jour so feels appropriate to "get one".

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2018 at 8:59 AM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

7aa7f39c899c5f784720191ce0094451.jpg
Original for reference. I think I’ve come around and am I fan of the redesign.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goodness gracious, were they planning on wrapping it in chrome???

Count me in as another who prefers the redesign!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.