FNB Tower 401 S Graham St (29 floors - 365 feet)

KJHburg

2 hours ago, DMann said:

And hopefully, better music for the video!

I don't know, that reminds me of the theme from Justified, one of the best shows ever (so I like it).

Not a huge fan of this building so I am not surprised to hear that Charlotte will be better.  Like everyone else, anxiously awaiting a rendering.

On 3/7/2018 at 9:43 AM, Cadi40 said:

Does anyone else think that even though the apartment boom might be coming to an end maybe we will continue to boom with new office and mixed use towers outside of Trade and Tryong, Specifically near North Tryon and West of Charlotte? 

I don't know if the apartment boom will come to an end, but I think you'll start to see a lot more diversity of projects in South End. Namely office. I don't think we'll see anything over 120ft outside of uptown except the Design Center (because it somehow has UMUD zoning) and maybe a couple of places along Elizabeth Ave and Midtown.

On 3/7/2018 at 6:57 PM, JacksonH said:

Well I suppose that's possible.  That looks like about the same amount of space as the old Wells Fargo building (formerly Wachovia Building from 1971/72) occupies.

Just remember how tiny the lot is where they build Ascent. This is no different. When the market exists they can cram high rises into any space they want.

2 hours ago, JacksonH said:

I worked in DC and I took mass transit almost every day.  I'm a huge advocate of mass transit.  But on occasion I had to work well into the night after Metro shut down so I would drive to work on those days and park in a garage.  There are parking garages in DC, including on blocks near Metro stations.  There are no bans on parking garages anywhere in the District.  The garages are usually subterranean, beneath office buildings.

They benefit from having a height restriction that forces parking decks below ground though. DC probably doesn't have a parking requirement at all, but they allow them to be built. Charlotte, on the other had, currently has a parking requirement in most cases, and there's a giant vein of granite underneath uptown that makes going underground difficult for all but the high end projects that can afford it.

• Like 4

On 3/7/2018 at 6:43 AM, Cadi40 said:

Does anyone else think that even though the apartment boom might be coming to an end maybe we will continue to boom with new office and mixed use towers outside of Trade and Tryong, Specifically near North Tryon and West of Charlotte? 

Why do you think the apartment boom might be coming to an end?  Charlottestories is probably not the most reliable source, but this article indicates a huge need for apartments to be built.  http://www.charlottestories.com/new-report-shows-charlotte-will-need-72000-apartments-2030/

6 minutes ago, Spartan said:

Just remember how tiny the lot is where they build Ascent. This is no different. When the market exists they can cram high rises into any space they want.

They benefit from having a height restriction that forces parking decks below ground though. DC probably doesn't have a parking requirement at all, but they allow them to be built. Charlotte, on the other had, currently has a parking requirement in most cases, and there's a giant vein of granite underneath uptown that makes going underground difficult for all but the high end projects that can afford it.

Thanks for your reply.  I wasn't aware there was an issue with granite in UT.  I had assumed with  those gold mine tunnels , digging beneath the surface wasn't a problem.  You may have a point that the height restriction in DC has forced parking garages underground, but I'm pretty sure I've parked in underground garages in Manhattan as well (though I can't swear to it).  Manhattan obviously has no height restriction.  :) 

Well, the gold mines were mainly in South End :)

It's not that going down with parking decks can't be done, just that it's more expensive. It more difficult to make the financial aspects work to go underground. In markets like DC and New York, their up front costs (especially land) are very high, but the buildings produce a lot of revenue and can thus justify higher up front costs like underground decks. Manhattan also has no parking requirements whatsoever.

• Like 2

This project will be hugely transformative for the area. Between this and gateway, graham st should become a liveable area. This location is actually superb. Right by two stadiums and romere bearden. The only thing is hope for is something other than just a bank branch on the ground floor, unless they fit the giant garage for first floor retail.

• Like 1

I disagree, on the Southend not crossing 120 barrier. I know of two, possibly three projects in the works that cross that barrier, one significantly so. Not to mention Railyard and DFA will both cross this barrier, technically Railyard at 143 feet already has (the Glory of Steel). The Council has shown that they will gladly allow height increases along parts of Tryon/Camden/South Blvd. Take that all for what It’s worth.

FYI this attached the wrong post and I cannot fix it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think the Raleigh building is pretty swish. If Charlotte's is better than that ... I did happy.

It’s taller, has more texture and better massing. It doesn’t have that nifty angle in the building tho, I like that. It also doesn’t have 4 available street fronts to wow us unfortunately, so it loses out there, with its bank branch retail.

I don't know, that reminds me of the theme from Justified, one of the best shows ever (so I like it).
Not a huge fan of this building so I am not surprised to hear that Charlotte will be better.  Like everyone else, anxiously awaiting a rendering.

Pretty sure I drew my rendering while looking at a picture of their building. #JustSayin

I have the parking metric for UMUD buildings written down at work, I’ll try to remember to post tomorrow. One thing worth noting based on those numbers. Crescent Stonewall Station would require 719 spaces, yet they delivered 1350... off topic

3 hours ago, JacksonH said:

The black glass building in the video, to the left of the new FNB building, is brand new (Google image shows it still under construction), so there's a lot going on on that block in Raleigh.

Thats the new Charter Square building that they developed but sold recently to Highwoods.   I think FNB tower in Raleigh is great for their city but I like ours of course better for it taller and breaking ground in a new part of uptown for high rises.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I disagree, on the Southend not crossing 120 barrier. I know of two, possibly three projects in the works that cross that barrier, one significantly so. Not to mention Railyard and DFA will both cross this barrier, technically Railyard at 143 feet already has (the Glory of Steel). The Council has shown that they will gladly allow height increases along parts of Tryon/Camden/South Blvd. Take that all for what It’s worth.

I have the parking metric for UMUD buildings written down at work, I’ll try to remember to post tomorrow. One thing worth noting based on those numbers. Crescent Stonewall Station would require 719 spaces, yet they delivered 1350... off topic

Well, I'm basing 120 (ish) more on theoretical height restrictions. I don't think that its feasible to build really tall buildings outside of uptown without a significant change in zoning regs, but maybe a 10-15 storey one here or there. That being said, the Place Types and UDO process may be a game changer from that standpoint.

Charlotte's problem is that we don't have marking maximums. But the flip side of the argument is that the City doesn't provide public parking, so it might make sense to have extra parking around if you support the notion that there should be public parking around. 

So these apartments on the top floors have no balconies?  That is strange unless they are going for a less expensive rents than other high rises.   It looks like more of just a standard office building which is fine but I would question not having any balconies for the apartments but that is just me.  

• Like 1

On the ground floor, there will be separate lobbies for the offices and apartments, along with an FNB bank branch. Above that will be seven levels of parking, with 160,000 square feet of office space on top of the garage. Above that, the rest of the building will be occupied by the luxury apartments.

I guess we already knew this, but it is pretty disappointing that the ground floor retail will only be a bank branch.  It would be awesome if we could get a restaurant or bar.  That would add so much life to this area before and after Knights games.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Tower looks awesome!  Glad to add some height on this side of town.  I've brought this up before and looking at the street level of FNB...how feasible is it to convert some of the deck between FNB and the Residence inn (MLK side)?  I have not been in that deck for years, I don't know what's between the two entrances/exits (parking, open space, etc?).  Just from the location near BB&T ball park, Romare, hotel/residents, and now this new FNB tower, would be a prime location to convert some space into retail., especially since I don't see this deck going anywhere soon.

1.thumb.png.eebab61a4fdb70b7ec4b91cc4db63f09.png

Love this idea.  Reminds me of a parking ramp next door to Petco Park.  It has the depth of 1 row of spaces for the most part and is used as a flex space.    I have been in it for a pop-up art gallery of touring artists and have seen it rented for private parties during Comic-Con and during the baseball season.  Even when empty it's very welcoming.   Not the same amount of sidewalk space however.  :(

Screenshot 2018-03-14 09.33.02.png

Wow! The redesign is significantly better. Definitely exceeded my expectations. I do all my Panthers tailgating on Graham st. on the lot of the future Gateway station. Can't wait to walk by this during and after construction.

Any word on the final estimated height? 390-410ft was being thrown around.

• Like 1