FNB Tower 401 S Graham St (29 floors - 365 feet)

KJHburg

I'm a fan.  This somewhat reminds me of what I thought Tryon Place would look like, so hopefully the finished product doesn't disappoint us.  The glass insets and especially the color are what I'm digging the most.  Looks like a building you would see in Philadelphia for some reason.

Edited by abttown
  • Like 1

I'm actually not a huge fan of this building, just too much of a square.. I think it needs balconies, or at least a rooftop feature for residents. They definitely have made this building beefier than what I posted previously. I find it interesting that the opinions of urban planet and twitter are diametrically opposed to one another. I think theres a few things that could be done to make this building more interesting, maybe I'll photoshop it later.

Edited by Guest

12 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I'm actually not a huge fan of this building, just too much of a square.. I think it needs balconies, or at least a rooftop feature for residents. They definitely have made this building beefier than what I posted previously. 

I sort of agree.  As an office tower I love it,  but it looks a little too cold and corporate to call "Home".  I am curious to see the other sides of this building.  It would make sense to me to have balconies on the sides that face the rest of the city skyline as opposed to the sides that face 77 and train tracks.  So maybe the other angles will be more inviting.  

Edited by QCT1401

18 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I'm actually not a huge fan of this building, just too much of a square.. I think it needs balconies, or at least a rooftop feature for residents. They definitely have made this building beefier than what I posted previously. I find it interesting that the opinions of urban planet and twitter are diametrically opposed to one another. I think theres a few things that could be done to make this building more interesting, maybe I'll photoshop it later.

I prefer it to the first rendering, but I agree that it needs balconies.

I think they would have made our skyline look less corporate, more livable.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

IDK.  It reminds me a lot of a smaller version of 3 Hudson Boulevard.  I know that's all office but I am not going to live here so all I care about it how it looks in the skyline.  :tw_grimace:

I had a place in the ballpark district that had a tiny balcony and it was almost pointless.  Not only was it uncomfortable with more than 2 people standing and 1 sitting but it also dictated the layout of the loft which was small as well.   Personally, I would have much rather had a wall of glass.    Should be noted it had an awesome rooftop community space, so I agree 100% there with you.

Untitled-1.jpg

6 minutes ago, Spartan said:

When I first saw the pic I thought they had converted it all to office. I feel like balconies or at least operable windows/Juliet balconies  are all but mandatory in residential units. Are there any other residential buildings (high rise or not) that don't have them?

This building is not bad overall. I'm generally not a huge fan of this type of architecture, but this one doesn't bother me as much as others for some reason.

As an aside, I've always wanted to see more street level renderings of building projects. It's hard to get a good sense of what this building will feel like on the ground. The angle of the rendering is nice, but literally nobody will ever see the building from that angle unless they happen to have a drone. I think the building will be a little more diminutive than it appears in the rendering only because that lot is very small, but it's value in terms of filling in a parking lot and potentially encouraging some retail retrofits along MLK is huge.

FNB wants this to look like THEIR BUILDING, assert a perceived dominance. The building is supposed to say, hey look at us, we can occupy and have naming rights on a 400' tower.

image.png

Very sleek. This is exactly what should have went at Tryon Place. Love the redesign. It does look like a complete office tower though. Tall ceilings all the way up, no balconies? That’s fine with me. Some would prefer gigantic glass windows over tiny balconies anyway. 

Edited by Jordan84
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, dylansukkert said:

This will make the view at BB&T park even better. I can't wait until the the whole stadium is surrounded with high rises!

I was thinking the same thing...even though The Mint & Circa Apartments should have been highrises imo...I can't think of any other ballparks in the country that are in such a central location of their downtown, surrounded on all '4 sides'.  I used to live in the Catalyst 5ish years ago and it truly amazes me how much the area has changed and is going to change.  I remember all the empty lots where Romare and the ballpark sit now and that the Residence Inn seemed so desolate at the time.  No one ever walked over there and seemed like the edge of the city almost.  Only time ppl walked around that area was for Panther's games.  It's an exciting time and I love how the once perceived 'edges' of town are getting pushed out further n further with projects like FNB.  

• Like 4

I like the mirrored finish, which is surprisingly rare in Charlotte, although hopefully not just a rendering trick and it'll be more of the same blue glass.  

I wonder if those are residential balconies on the edges of the the indentation or alcove feature of the building.   You see them protrude out a bit on the right edge, so it would seem actually a good thing to have them be balconies, open on the side for your chimney friends, but still have the complete glass curtain wall.    From my experience with rooftops like Merchantrade, the glass saves the day for the cold wind.     Seems like a good take on that if I'm interpreting it correctly. 

If it is a flat roof, I seriously hope they know the value of that for roof deck space.   It seems plausible as there no other place for residential amenities.     

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

I was thinking the same thing...even though The Mint & Circa Apartments should have been highrises imo...I can't think of any other ballparks in the country that are in such a central location of their downtown, surrounded on all '4 sides'.  I used to live in the Catalyst 5ish years ago and it truly amazes me how much the area has changed and is going to change.  I remember all the empty lots where Romare and the ballpark sit now and that the Residence Inn seemed so desolate at the time.  No one ever walked over there and seemed like the edge of the city almost.  Only time ppl walked around that area was for Panther's games.  It's an exciting time and I love how the once perceived 'edges' of town are getting pushed out further n further with projects like FNB.  

It will be exciting to see how popular Graham St Pub is, I'm sure it'll be slammed for Knights games! Hopefully it opens for the Knights Sox's game, I wanted to check it out.

2 hours ago, Spartan said:

When I first saw the pic I thought they had converted it all to office. I feel like balconies or at least operable windows/Juliet balconies  are all but mandatory in residential units. Are there any other residential buildings (high rise or not) that don't have them?

432 Park and One57

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dylansukkert said:

It will be exciting to see how popular Graham St Pub is, I'm sure it'll be slammed for Knights games! Hopefully it opens for the Knights Sox's game, I wanted to check it out.

A live look at the Owner of Graham St Pub's dreams, ever since he found out about this tower.

giphy-2.gif

34 minutes ago, dubone said:

I like the mirrored finish, which is surprisingly rare in Charlotte, although hopefully not just a rendering trick and it'll be more of the same blue glass.  

I wonder if those are residential balconies on the edges of the the indentation or alcove feature of the building.   You see them protrude out a bit on the right edge, so it would seem actually a good thing to have them be balconies, open on the side for you chimney friends, but still have the complete glass curtain wall.    From my experience with rooftops like Merchantrade, the glass saves the day for the cold wind.     Seems like a good take on that if I'm interpreting it correctly. 

If it is a flat roof, I seriously hope they know the value of that for roof deck space.   It seems plausible as there no other place for residential amenities.     

You might be onto something, mr dubone.

1 minute ago, Jordan84 said:

I think this will effect the skyline the most coming in to uptown on  from Brookshire, or coming in from 77 north. Would love to see a future rendering from that angle. 

It will most certainly give Vue a little buddy to hang out with from this angle.