FNB Tower 401 S Graham St (29 floors - 365 feet)

KJHburg

3 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

So they don't even own the land yet this says and wont until the fall??  Things wont be moving here then for some time it seems

They are under contract to purchase, and its already submitted to the planning department, I think it can move very quickly once they close on the land. 

Like others have said, I'm excited for an office building and more density outside of the Tryon/College St. corridors. Hopefully this, the development at the old Polk building, as well as the Gateway Station all spur a building boom along Graham St.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, JacksonH said:

So this tower is going inside that tiny corner beside the parking deck?

FNB Tower Location.jpg

That’s actually a pretty big lot in the grand scheme of things.  1,500’ towers are under construction in NY on plots much smaller than that.

Anyway, this location will add to Uptown’s density.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

Regarding the blue glass issue, to those knowledgeable about such things:  What colors are available for glass curtain wall buildings that meet all the insulation, solar gain, sound, reflectivity and other issues that must be considered?

http://www.vitroglazings.com/en-US/Resources/Product-Literature/Glass-Catalog.aspx

Scroll about 2/3 down the catalog and you'll see some color swatches. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, EllAyyDub said:

Will this be visible from inside of the stadium?

Forgive my unsteady hand and my lack of skills at doing this sort of thing, but I have drawn an outline of possible dimensions of the building based on the similar-sized Wells Fargo building a few blocks down.  The area I have highlighted in blue is about where the roof of the building would be.  The black line from BoA stadium indicates the lowest part of the building that a person would see if they are sitting on the top row in the stadium.  So from their line of vision, they would probably see at least the top ten floors of the building.  But a person sitting down at field level would maybe, just maybe, see only the very top of the building if anything at all.

FNB Tower Location Perspective from BoA Stadium.jpg

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I think that all parking garages and lots in Uptown should be demolished.  Parking garages and lots should be on the other side of 277, and shuttle busses could be run from the lots to the office buildings.

You think people going to work in the morning want to have to deal with shuttle buses to get to their offices, rather than just walking in from the garage?

Edited by JacksonH
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I think that all parking garages and lots in Uptown should be demolished.  Parking garages and lots should be on the other side of 277, and shuttle busses could be run from the lots to the office buildings.

This future is not far off. Cars will be parking themselves soon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JacksonH said:

Forgive my unsteady hand and my lack of skills at doing this sort of thing, but I have drawn an outline of possible dimensions of the building based on the similar-sized Wells Fargo building a few blocks down.  The area I have highlighted in blue is about where the roof of the building would be.  The black line from BoA stadium indicates the lowest part of the building that a person would see if they are sitting on the top row in the stadium.  So from their line of vision, they would probably see at least the top ten floors of the building.  But a person sitting down at field level would maybe, just maybe, see only the very top of the building if anything at all.

FNB Tower Location Perspective from BoA Stadium.jpg

You think people going to work in the morning want to have to deal with shuttle buses to get to their offices, rather than just walking in from the garage?

People in NY, Boston, DC, Chicago, SF, etc take mass transit that let’s them off at a certain point within the city and then they walk, take a bus or a subway closer to their office.  This could work for Charlotte as it gets bigger.

Then again, most companies that relocate to Charlotte go to office parks in Ballantyne and by the airport because it’s easier than going Uptown.

Edited by SydneyCarton

25 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

People in NY, Boston, DC, Chicago, SF, etc take mass transit that let’s them off at a certain point within the city and then they walk, take a bus or a subway closer to their office.  This could work for Charlotte as it gets bigger.

Then again, most companies that relocate to Charlotte go to office parks in Ballantyne and by the airport because it’s easier than going Uptown.

Uptown needs to be a place for everybody. Our society will eventually move towards less auto dependence. 

But we can’t force it and have to live within reality or risk alienating a large segment of the city to uptown. I personally have enjoyed NoDa 3 times in my entire life. Parking is too intimidating there for me except on Sunday’s when YMCA closes early.  I’m afraid I’ll get towed, there’s no where to park and the bus, I don’t want to take. That’s wayyy too much hassle to enjoy some food or anything in NoDa. 

I would go to NoDa wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more if there was a large parking deck or easy parking. OR if there was light rail. Which will be fixed in 8 days. I plan on visiting NoDa very often.  

My point is. Areas have to be accessible for the population. And until metro is built out more, cars are by far the most accessible means of getting around the city absent metro.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Uptown needs to be a place for everybody. Our society will eventually move towards less auto dependence. 

But we can’t force it and have to live within reality or risk alienating a large segment of the city to uptown. I personally have enjoyed NoDa 3 times in my entire life. Parking is too intimidating there for me except on Sunday’s when YMCA closes early.  I’m afraid I’ll get towed, there’s no where to park and the bus, I don’t want to take. That’s wayyy too much hassle to enjoy some food or anything in NoDa. 

I would go to NoDa wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more if there was a large parking deck or easy parking. OR if there was light rail. Which will be fixed in 8 days. I plan on visiting NoDa very often.  

My point is. Areas have to be accessible for the population. And until metro is built out more, cars are by far the most accessible means of getting around the city absent metro.

Exactly. And my point by discussing road diets, etc. in the other thread having to do with transit. You can only force your market so far.

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I worked in DC and I took mass transit almost every day.  I'm a huge advocate of mass transit.  But on occasion I had to work well into the night after Metro shut down so I would drive to work on those days and park in a garage.  There are parking garages in DC, including on blocks near Metro stations.  There are no bans on parking garages anywhere in the District.  The garages are usually subterranean, beneath office buildings.

Edited by JacksonH
  • Like 1