Economic Development

1 hour ago, I am Reality said:

How predictable...agree with the guy who tells blatant lies.

Because it fits your small little worldview.

To hell with the actual truth.

But I can out-BS any of you:

Orlando is the best city in the world.

Orlando is the most properous city in the world.

Orlando is the most educated city in the world.

UCF is not only Top 15%, it is #1.  In the world.  F Princeton.

Disney and Universal jobs are the best-paying jobs in the world. To hell with FB's average $230k/yr jobs.  Disney workers get free admission!!! 

Orlando is home to every corporate HQ in the world. 

Our restaurants are the best in the world. 

Our nightlife is the best in the world.

Lake Eola is the most beautiful city park in the world.

Our airport is the biggest in the world.

Our convention center is the biggest in the world.

Downtown the best urban area in the world.

UCF is the national champion.

The Magic will win the NBA championship.

I too can lie just like AmIReal.

No one has ever said any of those things. Please educate us on when we have. I'd love to see you try. 

Liar. 

6 minutes ago, bqknight said:

No one has ever said any of those things. Please educate us on when we have. I'd love to see you try. 

Liar. 

Saying UCF is ranked #171 out of 1,300+ colleges is LYING.

In fact, it's not even a good lie.  Even bad lies are LIES nonetheless. 

Saying you think Orlando is the best city in the world is SARCASM.  

I don't think you think that. 

But that is the tone of the entire website.

Sarcasm v. lying is not hard stuff.  But you wanted an explanation anyhow.  There it is. 

I’m fairly new here, only been around for about 60 days. In that time you have stated the participants here “show a real lack of perspective”, you claim we suffer from “complete indifference, defeatist, or both” and “There is a serious lack of fundamental understanding about EVERYTHING on this website”. You claim to be embarrassed for me, say I’m clueless, call me a liar and claim I’m indecent and soulless.  But you get the boohoos when I quote from the news source there were 1388 schools involved and UCF ranked 171. Two separate data points that I clearly misrepresented, though I must say not intentionally. As I said yesterday when I apologized for hurting your feelings I included the larger number, I thought, to indicate how large the ranking project was. They were two distinct points of data to me and since I was pretty sure everyone was aware how the rankings are structured it didn’t occur to me anyone would see that as you interpreted it. I never said UCF was a top 15% school in those rankings, I’ve never had an "Orlando-is-everything" agenda and I’ve never claimed they won a national championship.

Still, yesterday, after I apologized for hurting your feelings, attempted to clear up the confusion on the two data points and attempted to draw the conversation back to something constructive- remember the original discussion was about corporate recruiters using US News Rankings (which is absurd)- you have spent the last 24 hours on some tirade. So, now I find myself apologizing for not recognizing your commitment to your lifelong quest and sleepless nights to attend a top-25 school. While I’m at it I also would like to say I appreciate you “spoon-feeding us information” and being the one person here who always remains objective. I have one simple request; please don’t waste any more of your energy being embarrassed for me as I think there is a better place to channel that thought.

10 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

I’m fairly new here, only been around for about 60 days. In that time you have stated the participants here “show a real lack of perspective”, you claim we suffer from “complete indifference, defeatist, or both” and “There is a serious lack of fundamental understanding about EVERYTHING on this website”. You claim to be embarrassed for me, say I’m clueless, call me a liar and claim I’m indecent and soulless.  But you get the boohoos when I quote from the news source there were 1388 schools involved and UCF ranked 171. Two separate data points that I clearly misrepresented, though I must say not intentionally.

Those aren't separate data points, the top 15% is among all universities/colleges in their system, and that is a true statistic. To put that in perspective, the state of Florida has about 70 colleges/universites ranked by US News, (and 100 according to wikipedia), so if the percentile stayed true on the local state scale, UCF would only have to be in the top  10 colleges in the state. Clearly UCF is more then that, within the state, nobody can come up with 10 universities in Florida better than UCF. I'd definitely say that nearly everyone considers UCF top 5 within the state.

1 hour ago, I am Reality said:

Saying UCF is ranked #171 out of 1,300+ colleges is LYING.

In fact, it's not even a good lie.  Even bad lies are LIES nonetheless. 

Saying you think Orlando is the best city in the world is SARCASM.  

I don't think you think that. 

But that is the tone of the entire website.

Sarcasm v. lying is not hard stuff.  But you wanted an explanation anyhow.  There it is. 

I don't think it's the tone of this website at all. We celebrate what we have because we love this city. 

I'm sure for most people this is a site they visit to enjoy some of the new developments of the city and make silly 7-11 jokes. Your negativity is extremely off putting - especially when you bring no "solutions" to the table of what you're so critical of. Like I said before, you have no foresight, you're stuck in some extremely dreary sense of reality. You fail to see the positives and what has become. Maybe this city hasn't treated you right and that's where it stems from. Whatever the reason, I do not think Orlando is the city for you and it never will be. 

...or you're a troll. Which I'm beginning to think is the case. I just don't see the point in trolling a small forum on Orlando urban development. It's weird. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

I’m fairly new here, only been around for about 60 days. In that time you have stated the participants here “show a real lack of perspective”, you claim we suffer from “complete indifference, defeatist, or both” and “There is a serious lack of fundamental understanding about EVERYTHING on this website”. You claim to be embarrassed for me, say I’m clueless, call me a liar and claim I’m indecent and soulless.  But you get the boohoos when I quote from the news source there were 1388 schools involved and UCF ranked 171. Two separate data points that I clearly misrepresented, though I must say not intentionally. As I said yesterday when I apologized for hurting your feelings I included the larger number, I thought, to indicate how large the ranking project was. They were two distinct points of data to me and since I was pretty sure everyone was aware how the rankings are structured it didn’t occur to me anyone would see that as you interpreted it. I never said UCF was a top 15% school in those rankings, I’ve never had an "Orlando-is-everything" agenda and I’ve never claimed they won a national championship.

Still, yesterday, after I apologized for hurting your feelings, attempted to clear up the confusion on the two data points and attempted to draw the conversation back to something constructive- remember the original discussion was about corporate recruiters using US News Rankings (which is absurd)- you have spent the last 24 hours on some tirade. So, now I find myself apologizing for not recognizing your commitment to your lifelong quest and sleepless nights to attend a top-25 school. While I’m at it I also would like to say I appreciate you “spoon-feeding us information” and being the one person here who always remains objective. I have one simple request; please don’t waste any more of your energy being embarrassed for me as I think there is a better place to channel that thought.

Again...

#171 out of 311

is much different than 

#171 out of 1,388

If you look at the link I provided, there is only one set of data for "National Universities" and UCF is 171/311.

There is no nothing else to interpret.  I don't even know where the 1,388 figure came from.  I certainly didn't bring it up.  I was ONLY looking at the category in which UCF was ranked.  It had 311 schools in it.

Somewhere buried deep in your post is an acknowledgment you were wrong.  I appreciate that.  And I take you word that it was unintentional.  

I have heard a lot of cheerleading in this website and I have pretty much stopped trusting anything I read on here.  It was infuriating to hear UCF categorized with the top schools.  I (and many others) sacrificed a ton to get into a top school.  And there is so much BS on here, I had no reason to doubt you were just making crap up about UCF.  That is the profile of this website.  (People are STILL insisting it's top 15%).

36 minutes ago, bqknight said:

I don't think it's the tone of this website at all. We celebrate what we have because we love this city. 

I'm sure for most people this is a site they visit to enjoy some of the new developments of the city and make silly 7-11 jokes. Your negativity is extremely off putting - especially when you bring no "solutions" to the table of what you're so critical of. Like I said before, you have no foresight, you're stuck in some extremely dreary sense of reality. You fail to see the positives and what has become. Maybe this city hasn't treated you right and that's where it stems from. Whatever the reason, I do not think Orlando is the city for you and it never will be. 

...or you're a troll. Which I'm beginning to think is the case. I just don't see the point in trolling a small forum on Orlando urban development. It's weird. 

Ok, I disagree about the tone of the website. It's pretty glaring to me.

You think I am negative. 

I think you are a cheerleader with nothing to really offer in this discussion.

Edited by I am Reality

16 minutes ago, I am Reality said:

Ok, I disagree about the tone of the website. It's pretty glaring to me.

You think I am negative. 

I think you are a cheerleader with nothing to really offer in this discussion.

No one on this site thinks Orlando is the "best city in the world". I'd actually venture to say people on this site actually nit pick TOO much. The site isn't even that "positive". Most threads are about how disappointed people are with the architecture & building we keep receiving. 

I am a cheerleader for Orlando - it's my home, that I choose to live in. I'm not from here originally but fell in love with the city. 

Maybe you should find a city you feel similarly about and move there?

Your Top-25 degree and lawyer job should make that no problem.

Just a thought. 

26 minutes ago, I am Reality said:

Again...

#171 out of 311

is much different than 

#171 out of 1,388

If you look at the link I provided, there is only one set of data for "National Universities" and UCF is 171/311.

There is no nothing else to interpret.  I don't even know where the 1,388 figure came from.  I certainly didn't bring it up.  I was ONLY looking at the category in which UCF was ranked.  It had 311 schools in it.

Somewhere buried deep in your post is an acknowledgment you were wrong.  I appreciate that.  And I take you word that it was unintentional.  

I have heard a lot of cheerleading in this website and I have pretty much stopped trusting anything I read on here.  It was infuriating to hear UCF categorized with the top schools.  I (and many others) sacrificed a ton to get into a top school.  And there is so much BS on here, I had no reason to doubt you were just making crap up about UCF.  That is the profile of this website.  (People are STILL insisting it's top 15%).

People who think they are better than others are the worst kind of people. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, I am Reality said:

Again...

#171 out of 311

is much different than 

#171 out of 1,388

The 1,388 figure came from US News in the total number of schools they reviewed in order to create their list of Top 300 (which was made into 311 because schools were tied for the #300 spot). You need to read the US News methodology website in more detail. They definitely are not trying to claim their is only 311 national universities.

I'm curious as to where you went to law school, and if you took any math classes, this is really pretty simple statistical data that you seem to be struggling a lot with. And you're flat out misinterpreting that top 15% means they're a super elite school, being top 25 requires being in the top 2%.

I also really don't understand why hearing the facts is infuriating to you. If you truly went to a top 2% school, it shouldn't bother you when people are talking about their top 15% school, ya know?

You really seem to be struggling with all sorts of statistics, understanding ratios and how simply changing what you're measuring can affect statistics so much, and how numbers interact with each other. Its surprising to me, with my Florida based education (UF and UCF, although I was accepted to higher ranked out of state schools, but did not wish to go due to cost and I wanted to stay in Florida near my friends and family)

59 minutes ago, aent said:

The 1,388 figure came from US News in the total number of schools they reviewed in order to create their list of Top 300 (which was made into 311 because schools were tied for the #300 spot). You need to read the US News methodology website in more detail. They definitely are not trying to claim their is only 311 national universities.

I'm curious as to where you went to law school, and if you took any math classes, this is really pretty simple statistical data that you seem to be struggling a lot with. And you're flat out misinterpreting that top 15% means they're a super elite school, being top 25 requires being in the top 2%.

I also really don't understand why hearing the facts is infuriating to you. If you truly went to a top 2% school, it shouldn't bother you when people are talking about their top 15% school, ya know?

You really seem to be struggling with all sorts of statistics, understanding ratios and how simply changing what you're measuring can affect statistics so much, and how numbers interact with each other. Its surprising to me, with my Florida based education (UF and UCF, although I was accepted to higher ranked out of state schools, but did not wish to go due to cost and I wanted to stay in Florida near my friends and family)

You are clearly lost.  Let me help you.

The U.S. News & World Report has 10 categories of ranking (plus a large grouping of unranked schools/incomplete data) for 1806 schools nationwide:

National Universities (311 total schools)

National Liberal Arts (233)

Regional Univ. - North (196)

Regional Univ. - South (149)

Regional Univ. - Midwest (173)

Regional Univ. - West (141)

Regional Colleges - North (57)

Regional Colleges - South (110)

Regional Colleges - Midwest (92)

Regional Colleges - West (65)

UCF is ONLY ranked in the National Universities category.

There are 311 schools in the National Universities catagory.

UCF is ranked #171 out of the 311 schools in the National Universities category.

UCF ranks in the 45th percentile - or bottom-half - of the schools in the National Universities catagory.

U.S. News made NO attempt to rank all 1,608 schools against each other.  

The ONLY ranking performed was intra-catagory.

As a result, UCF was NOT ranked against Regional Universities - South, Regional Colleges - South, or National Liberal Arts.

I don't know where you got so badly confused. 

But badly confused you are.

Kindly reconsider your attacks on my education.

8 hours ago, I am Reality said:

You are clearly lost.  Let me help you.

The U.S. News & World Report has 10 categories of ranking (plus a large grouping of unranked schools/incomplete data) for 1806 schools nationwide:

National Universities (311 total schools)

National Liberal Arts (233)

Regional Univ. - North (196)

Regional Univ. - South (149)

Regional Univ. - Midwest (173)

Regional Univ. - West (141)

Regional Colleges - North (57)

Regional Colleges - South (110)

Regional Colleges - Midwest (92)

Regional Colleges - West (65)

UCF is ONLY ranked in the National Universities category.

There are 311 schools in the National Universities catagory.

UCF is ranked #171 out of the 311 schools in the National Universities category.

UCF ranks in the 45th percentile - or bottom-half - of the schools in the National Universities catagory.

U.S. News made NO attempt to rank all 1,608 schools against each other.  

The ONLY ranking performed was intra-catagory.

As a result, UCF was NOT ranked against Regional Universities - South, Regional Colleges - South, or National Liberal Arts.

I don't know where you got so badly confused. 

But badly confused you are.

Kindly reconsider your attacks on my education.

LOL. Attacks on YOUR education. If you aren't a troll, which I think you are, you must be a real "down to Earth" dude. 

1 hour ago, steve_o said:

Bravo should make a new series based on this thread.  

I hope

they make

everyone

TALK

like William Shatner

because THAT

is the way

we do things

NOW.

It's for the best

that YOU

accept your

INSANELY INTELLIGENT

and devilishly CHARMING

new

overlord.

Just accept

your FATE.

1 hour ago, bqknight said:

LOL. Attacks on YOUR education. If you aren't a troll, which I think you are, you must be a real "down to Earth" dude. 

Don't ever let facts get in the way of your cheerleading.

(those pesky facts can be a real beotch sometimes)

And yes, I am just as shocked, disgusted, and disappointed that I had to read/explain the rankings.

And yes, I will not allow somehow who can't even read a freaking college rankings-report  DESIGNED TO BE READ BY HIGH-SCHOOLERS denigrate the schools I went to. 

Poor guy probably STILL thinks he paid tuition for a Top 15% school.  

This is Orlando for you. 

In an effort to get off the college talk, because I come from one of THE most pompous universities in the nation, and even I find this discussion meaningless.

--

In regard to the 2700/300 low-wage vs high-wage jobs that Universal brought up.  @I am Reality , I understand that you find the imbalance between the two and deficit the biggest concern facing the region.  I don't agree, but that's fine, we can have different viewpoints.  Then, I ask, if we were to somehow artificially limit tourism so help make up that deficit, are you in favor of implementing a state income tax since we will have less tourists funding services for us?

38 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

In an effort to get off the college talk, because I come from one of THE most pompous universities in the nation, and even I find this discussion meaningless.

--

In regard to the 2700/300 low-wage vs high-wage jobs that Universal brought up.  @I am Reality , I understand that you find the imbalance between the two and deficit the biggest concern facing the region.  I don't agree, but that's fine, we can have different viewpoints.  Then, I ask, if we were to somehow artificially limit tourism so help make up that deficit, are you in favor of implementing a state income tax since we will have less tourists funding services for us?

That is a really great question.  

First of all, I am not proposing artificially limiting development by the theme parks.  I am simply saying we don't need to take pro-active measures to build them up anymore. They already own the land and aren't going anywhere.  There is no need to treat them hostilely.  At the same time, there is no reason to roll-over and give them everything they want, 

As for your question, I wouldn't say I am for a state income tax now.  But it's something that should be discussed.  Texas doesn't have one and has attracted all kinds of great jobs.  So I see the value in not having one. On the other hand, FL has not had the same experience.

Sometimes, you get what you pay for.  

Today, Nashville is voting for a $5.5 billion light rail system.  If passed, a handful of taxes would be raised - including the local sales tax.  (They already pay 9 or 10% for local sales tax...so it's no small deal. )

But that's how these things typically go.  There are no free rides in life.  

I used to hate, hate, hate paying a city-wage tax up north.  But it was a necessary evil,  And it certainly hasnt slowed the development of great-paying jobs there.

Having said that, I would look at other options as well.  

For example, I have always wondered if the impact fees are too low.  Where exactly do our impact fees even go if we have a chronic traffic/transit problem and the schools are chronically underfunded?

Edited by I am Reality

2 hours ago, I am Reality said:

Don't ever let facts get in the way of your cheerleading.

(those pesky facts can be a real beotch sometimes)

And yes, I am just as shocked, disgusted, and disappointed that I had to read/explain the rankings.

And yes, I will not allow somehow who can't even read a freaking college rankings-report  DESIGNED TO BE READ BY HIGH-SCHOOLERS denigrate the schools I went to. 

Poor guy probably STILL thinks he paid tuition for a Top 15% school.  

This is Orlando for you. 

Excuse people for being prideful in their school. You're more than welcome to be proud of yours but don't disparage others for theirs. It's not a cute look, anywhere in life. 

But - I have a question for you then. Well 2. 

1. What have you done to help Orlando grow? How involved are you if there are all these problems you're so passionate about?

2.You claim to have gone to a Top 25 school, have a great job being a lawyer and do quite well. Why not run for office? You want change, go make change. 

30 minutes ago, bqknight said:

Excuse people for being prideful in their school. You're more than welcome to be proud of yours but don't disparage others for theirs. It's not a cute look, anywhere in life. 

But - I have a question for you then. Well 2. 

1. What have you done to help Orlando grow? How involved are you if there are all these problems you're so passionate about?

2.You claim to have gone to a Top 25 school, have a great job being a lawyer and do quite well. Why not run for office? You want change, go make change. 

I have no problem if you are proud of your school.  I honestly think it's great.  Just don't make things up or misrepresent things about it (especially at the expense of other schools).  And UCF cannot be off-limits if we are talking about ways to improve the city.  

As for your questions, I am am just a private citizen.  I admit, I have not done anything to make things better for the local economy.  I think Dyer has actually done an admirable job, especially making the city as inclusive as it is.  I love his sustainability efforts.  But for the most part, I am disillusioned with most politicians anymore.  I feel like the problems (locally, statewide, and nationally)  are too big for one person to handle.

I also no interest in running for politics.  My viewpoints are obviously not mainstream.  I never expected that my viewpoints would be controversial with you guys.  It's been eye-opening. 

My politics probably aren't mainstream either.  (I was a Bernie guy).  

If you can't be proud of your own school, the biggest real economic question is:

What about all those foam "WE'RE #1" things you put on your hand at sporting events?  If you're school isn't #1 and they only have to make those for one actual school in the nation, how many people are going to lose their jobs in the supply chain?

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, I am Reality said:

I have no problem if you are proud of your school.  I honestly think it's great.  Just don't make things up or misrepresent things about it (especially at the expense of other schools).  And UCF cannot be off-limits if we are talking about ways to improve the city.  

As for your questions, I am am just a private citizen.  I admit, I have not done anything to make things better for the local economy.  I think Dyer has actually done an admirable job, especially making the city as inclusive as it is.  I love his sustainability efforts.  But for the most part, I am disillusioned with most politicians anymore.  I feel like the problems (locally, statewide, and nationally)  are too big for one person to handle.

I also no interest in running for politics.  My viewpoints are obviously not mainstream.  I never expected that my viewpoints would be controversial with you guys.  It's been eye-opening. 

My politics probably aren't mainstream either.  (I was a Bernie guy).  

I never misrepresented it. I talked about how UCF is an incredible asset to the city and that it has improved and grown incredibly over the past 30 years. I stated:

How do you expand on UCF? 

How about, that’s exactly what they’ve been doing. Hitt was an incredible asset to UCF and hopefully it continues with Whitaker. UCF was nothing. It was a directional, commuter school. 

The amount it’s grown and also improved is amazing. UCF, for what it is, is top notch. It just can’t compete with legacy schools that have endowments UCF could only dream of. Maybe one day but that’s a long, long time away. 

UCF is doing pretty much everything right. No - it is not a top notch school - and likely never will be. UCF is a state run school - and is pretty much systematically kept "at bay" by the likes of UF and FSU, meanwhile, UCF continues to find ways to strive. 

When it comes to your other points - it has nothing to do with your "viewpoints" - it's how you deliver them. You're condescending and have no foresight or imagination. You're blind to the growth of the city by focusing SOLELY on the negative. There will always be issues - with every city - everywhere in the world. 

...and with that, I bid you adieu, I will not be responding to anymore of your posts. 

14 minutes ago, bqknight said:

I never misrepresented it. I talked about how UCF is an incredible asset to the city and that it has improved and grown incredibly over the past 30 years. I stated:

UCF is doing pretty much everything right. No - it is not a top notch school - and likely never will be. UCF is a state run school - and is pretty much systematically kept "at bay" by the likes of UF and FSU, meanwhile, UCF continues to find ways to strive. 

When it comes to your other points - it has nothing to do with your "viewpoints" - it's how you deliver them. You're condescending and have no foresight or imagination. You're blind to the growth of the city by focusing SOLELY on the negative. There will always be issues - with every city - everywhere in the world. 

...and with that, I bid you adieu, I will not be responding to anymore of your posts. 

Spare me the self-righteousness.

You called me "liar", said I "bring no solutions",  said I "have an extremely dreary sense of reality" and called be a "troll."

Mirrors buddy.  Mirrors. 

But I agree...I think it best we not comment on each other. 

This is an interesting new niche for Orlando to specialize in: creating social entrepreneurs. It's the type of thing we could excel in given our depth in customer service and stands to be popular with millennials.

Push to make Orlando a hub for social enterprise gets boost with first class of entrepreneurs
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-omnimodal-transportation-entrepreneurs-win-accelerator-20180325-story.html

From the Sentinel

Reality will be happy to know Scott Maxwell is turning up the heat on some of his issues for the campaign season.

I've debated some of this stuff with Scott over the years and don't always agree but he almost always lights a fire under the powers that be when he zooms in on a topic.

So, look for there to actually be valuable issues talked about for a change.

Fired up for campaign season? Great. But don't get trolled
http://bit.ly/2FyaMGD

From the Sentinel

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Reality will be happy to know Scott Maxwell is turning up the heat on some of his issues for the campaign season.

I've debated some of this stuff with Scott over the years and don't always agree but he almost always lights a fire under the powers that be when he zooms in on a topic.

So, look for there to actually be valuable issues talked about for a change.

Fired up for campaign season? Great. But don't get trolled
http://bit.ly/2FyaMGD

From the Sentinel

That is exciting.

Scott Maxwell should be commended for leading the public debate about wages.  As you can tell, it is a contentious issue.

Maxwell has really put his neck on the line.  He is also one of the few people with clout to be heard.

Thanks Spenser.