I am Reality

Economic Development

"Combined company to be named “L3 Harris Technologies” and headquartered in Melbourne, Florida"
"
The combined company, L3 Harris Technologies, Inc., will be the 6th largest defense company in the U.S. and a top 10 defense company globally, with approximately 48,000 employees and customers in over 100 countries."

https://seekingalpha.com/pr/17299592-harris-corporation-l3-technologies-combine-merger-equals-create-global-defense-technology

• Like 2

We don't always lose out on these deals, thankfully. When book publisher HBJ bought Sea World, William Jovanovich moved the HQ to a new building across from Shamu. It was one of the odder mixes of corporate culture ever witnessed.

I have a friend that works for L3 in NY, wonder if she'll be moving back to Central Florida with this merger? 

Edited by HankStrong

Just heard a report on the news that a major restaurant chain in NC, is moving their HQ to Orlando, possibly downtown.

Didn't catch all the details, but will look for them a update.

5 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Just heard a report on the news that a major restaurant chain in NC, is moving their HQ to Orlando, possibly downtown.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/consumer/os-bz-foodfirst-brio-bravo-headquarters-orlando-20181107-story,amp.html

Downtown, no less. The CEO is an OG alum and has a house on Lake Virginia.

• Thanks 1

Sears is closing 40 more stores (including Kmarts.)

Interestingly, the Oviedo Mall store soldiers on and may well be the last Sears standing.

While I fully understand the Florida Mall store continuing on, I don't get Oviedo.

It has never been a great success as a mall (it battled in the beginning with Simon's Waterford Lakes project fighting for anchors - most believed only one of the two would ever open.)

Is that Sears really selling lots of stuff or does its continuation have more to do with the value (or lack of value) of the building it's in?

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/11/08/this-map-shows-where-sears-is-closing-stores-next.html

From CNBC

Edited by spenser1058

16 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Sears is closing 40 more stores (including Kmarts.)

Interestingly, the Oviedo Mall store soldiers on and may well be the last Sears standing.

While I fully understand the Florida Mall store continuing on, I don't get Oviedo.

It has never been a great success as a mall (it battled in the beginning with Simon's Waterford Lakes project fighting for anchors - most believed only one of the two would ever open.)

Is that Sears really selling lots of stuff or does it's continuation have more to do with the value (or lack of value) of the building it's in?

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/11/08/this-map-shows-where-sears-is-closing-stores-next.html

From CNBC

It probably has to do with tiny rent payments.

• Thanks 1

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 4:46 PM, JFW657 said:

So, you're saying that a company in the most amazing region of the entire US which encompasses the great states of North AND South Carolina, is moving to stupid Florida?

Unpossible!

Hehehehe.  End sarcasm.

• Haha 2

Owner of Brio and Bravo moving to CNL2 but I don’t think that’s what you are referencing.  They are from Ohio 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

Owner of Brio and Bravo moving to CNL2 but I don’t think that’s what you are referencing.  They are from Ohio 

Yep, from Columbus. The Buckeyes just weren't doing it for them anymore - they're ready to Charge On! with the Knights. *giggles*

1 hour ago, Jernigan said:

Yes, that's right. I didn't read Spencer's linked article closely enough to pick up on that. The report I saw on the news was regarding a company currently HQ'd in NC, but knowing the quality of our local reporting, they probably got it wrong.

I don't think I heard it wrong, but that's possible too.

Either way, downtown is getting a new corporate HQ. :thumbsup:

Edited by JFW657
  • Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 3:56 PM, JFW657 said:

Yes, that's right. I didn't read Spencer's linked article closely enough to pick up on that. The report I saw on the news was regarding a company currently HQ'd in NC, but knowing the quality of our local reporting, they probably got it wrong.

I don't think I heard it wrong, but that's possible too.

Either way, downtown is getting a new corporate HQ. :thumbsup:

awesome news along with the 750 jobs added at LM. Give credit where credit is due. Good job ORL and OC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Scott J gives us more details about the Brio HQ relocation to Downtown Orlando (in the same building as Red Lobster, natch.)

Scroll down to the last paragraph for a look at all the restaurant companies that call the Orlando area home. It reminds me a lot of Nashville's success on that front in the early '80's.

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/4558-brio-bravo-parent-moves-headquarters-to-downtown-orlando