Economic Development

8 hours ago, Boomer136 said:

No, the body of your work makes me ask the question. I am glad you are learning about the community you have been critiquing.   I see you continually asking why Orlando doesn't have something or the other, when that something or other have obvious reasons why Orlando doesn't have them.  Economic Development.   Other things Orlando doesn't have much: Steel industry, coal mining, Steam Engine Yards. (I'm still not over loosing the train downtown.)

I'd rather have, right now, a Wozniak garage or three than a couple Toys 'R Us or Sears corporate headquarters.  And I think we have them.   Lake X has been resurrected, btw. Lots of specialized, even one of a kind businesses. That's what excites me. What is becoming, not what's been.

Seriously, at what point did I talk about Toys 'R' Us or Sears corporate HQs?  

Or coal or steel Jobs?

You are either intentionally misrepresenting what I have said or you are  clearly mistaken.

I report on tech Jobs...the innovative, forward-looking, high-wage jobs that constitute the fastest growing economic sector.

I am highly hopeful that Orlando has "a Wozniak garage or three."  But EVERY other city thinks that also.  That is a certainty.  I read an article that Waco, TX thinks it's the next great tech hotspot.  Doesn't make it true. The proof is in the results.  Other cities are well ahead of Orlando. No happy-talk or wishful thinking will change that.

This week alone:

Elon Musk just spoke at SxSW about innovation. In Austin. To people who travelled from around the world to talk about innovation. 

Harvard announced it's building a non-academic innovation campus  in Boston.  

A free-agent Fortune 500 tech company looking for a new HQ selected New Orleans.

Syracuse announced its getting hundreds of new Lockheed jobs (while Orlando is getting a couple dozen).

At the same time, Orlando got a tall amusement ride on I-Drive.

More minimum-wage Jobs and more catering to tourists.

I am curious...tell me why you think the next few Wozniak garages are in Orlando.  Again, I honestly hope you are right.  But I need proof - other than blind wishful thinking and lack of perspective. 

Edited by I am Reality

Good thing I didn't make the "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying..." reference of corporate HQS, mail rooms, steno-pools and other minimum wage jobs and the passing of that business model.  You'd really be scratching your head to when you said that, too.

Catering to tourists. That's a business model. I call theater selling seats to butts.  So yeah, making money off of tourists. How horrid.

As far as start-ups, do your own investment research, why should I help you? "Blind wishful thinking," no worse than being just plain blind. And because you fly high with your perspective, seems you're missing the details.

• Like 1

From our latest round of STEM jobs for Orlando, Lockheed Martin adds even more:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/brinkmann-on-business/os-bz-lockheed-martin-atmp-20180316-story.html

From the Sentinel

"But gosh, Mabel, how can that be? Everybody knows there ain't nobody in Orlando but tourists!"

(Did we mention Martin has been in town over 60 years now?)

14 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/brinkmann-on-business/os-bz-lockheed-martin-atmp-20180316-story.html

From the Sentinel

"But gosh, Mabel, how can that be? Everybody knows there ain't nobody in Orlando but tourists!"

1 hour ago, Boomer136 said:

Good thing I didn't make the "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying..." reference of corporate HQS, mail rooms, steno-pools and other minimum wage jobs and the passing of that business model.  You'd really be scratching your head to when you said that, too.

Catering to tourists. That's a business model. I call theater selling seats to butts.  So yeah, making money off of tourists. How horrid.

As far as start-ups, do your own investment research, why should I help you? "Blind wishful thinking," no worse than being just plain blind. And because you fly high with your perspective, seems you're missing the details.

Not a single fact.

15 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

From the Sentinel

We've already talked about the 500 jobs Lockheed jobs announced a few weeks ago. Old news.  The jobs are nice.  But if you think a single announcement of jobs from Lockheed keeps Orlando on pace with other cities, you are incorrect.

12 minutes ago, Boomer136 said:

Facts without analysis are useless except on Jeopardy. 

I can't respond to your talk about Toys 'R' Us and coal jobs.  You couldn't possibly be more off-topic. Fact...analysis...whatever you call it....I can't have a conversation with you.

Check back when you have something to offer,

St. Louis:  500 new jobs announced at World Wide Technology's to-be-constructed Integration Technology Center.

Pittsburgh:   Software firm GreyMatter announced it will triple its workforce in Pittsburgh. The firm also acquired Technical  Marketing Manufacturing this wk.

Silicon Valley:   Facebook announced it is building a new office building. The building will house 2,300 new jobs at FB's huge Menlo Park campus.

Montreal:  250 new jobs announced at a new $250 million Bitfarms computing-farm. Bitfarms already has 5 (five!!!) computing-farms in the Montreal-area for cryptocurrency-mining.

Minneapolis: 150 new jobs announced at 3D printing firm ProtoLabs.

OBJ reports music-tech firm Avid Technology may move its HQ to Orlando.

The possible move was first reported in 2015, when the Sentinel said an Orlando HQ move would bring 100 high-wage jobs to a 20, 000 sf space downtown.

This firm would be a good fit for the Creative Village (although I don't know if that is what it has in mind)

Microsoft-founder Bill Gates' $3 billion Water Street Tampa project got a commitment from Philadelphia-based DreamIt Ventures.  DreamIt is a tech accelerator that has helped 300+ software & health-tech companies over 10 years.

The only other DreamIt offices are Philadelphia & NYC. The firm wanted to establish a hub in the South.

Water Street Tampa's principals are Bill Gates' Cascade Investment LLC and Jeffrey Vinik (former head of the Fidelity Magellan fund, the largest fund in the world at the time).

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Interesting interview with Buddy at SXSW to bring more tech jobs to Orlando:

https://cheddar.com/videos/how-orlando-is-quickly-becoming-one-of-americas-biggest-tech-hubs

From cheddar.com

Is Dyer serious?  He doesn't know if the city eventually awarded Amazon HQ2 is actually a "winner"?   

Weak. 

Only losers rationalize things like that.

50k jobs and $5 billion in investment would have been nice, regardless of what the Mayor thinks. 

Another example for political malpractice.

We need some damn fight from our leaders.

Milwaukee: More news on the $10 billion FoxConn project. It will include a "science & tech park" that will research artificial intelligence, robotics, automation & the "internet of things."  FoxConn will hire 13k employees at the location, with a large office dowtown as well.

Minneapolis:  Digital-Key will hire 1,000 new employees as part of a $300 million expansion 

Ft. Worth, TX: HealthTech firm Smith & Nephew will hire 100 new employees. The company moved its North American HQ to Ft. Worth in 2015.

Austin: Tech firm Mystic got a $40 million investment to launch its new AI platform. Mystic's new technology will enable small devices (phones,  drones, smart watches, robots and cars) with artificial intelligence. 

Silicon Valley: Facebook has outgrown its Menlo Park campus and will construct a new campus in Sunnyvale for 5-6k employees.

On 3/20/2018 at 11:38 AM, I am Reality said:

Is Dyer serious?  He doesn't know if the city eventually awarded Amazon HQ2 is actually a "winner"?   

Weak. 

Only losers rationalize things like that.

50k jobs and $5 billion in investment would have been nice, regardless of what the Mayor thinks. 

Another example for political malpractice.

We need some damn fight from our leaders.

Yeah! Who cares about a brand new soccer team that completely paid for their stadium. Screw that brand new Performing Arts Center. UCF Downtown? SMALL TIME. 

Your obsession for Amazon HQ2 is like someone who got scorned by their High School crush.  

Maybe you should try running for office and make some change if it's bothering you so much. 

I was talking about Dyer's OWN comments about Amazon HQ2. 

He pretended like Orlando is better off without the HQ.

Any rationale person would strongly disagree (unless they are happy with a tourism-dominated economy)

Dyer didn't say anything about the soccer stadium or performing arts center in the Cheddar interview.

I don't know what that has to do with Dyer's Amazon comments.

But since you brought it up..,every city with a sports team (and some without) have sports stadiums. Teams leave if cities don't help finance stadiums.  In the case of the soccer stadium, it was privately financed.  Let's not congratulate Dyer for its construction.  In fact, I recall problems with arranging public financing that caused the Lions organization to fund it privately. 

I've never lived anywhere (large or small) that didn't have a performing arts center. Have you? 

I don't consider providing common venues particularly innovative.  

Let's put the brakes on the back-patting. It's not unusual. 

Edited by I am Reality

Miami: Startup accelerator 500 Startups selected Miami as its East Coast HQ. The firm was an initial investor in Credit Karma and Twilio.

Miami: The Kaufman Foundation identified Miami as the top city for startups in the nation.  Orlando is #22.

Omaha, NE:  Facebook announced a massive expansion of an under-construction data center. The revised plan is for over 2.6 million square feet. FB will hire "hundreds" of high-wage workers.

Richmond, VA: Fintech firm Paymerang obtained $26 million in new investments and will hire 100 new workers.

Chicago: HealthTech firm Tempus obtained $80 million in new investment. The billion-dollar company will hire 30 new employees per month for the foreseeable future.

Atlanta: Fiber-optics firm OFS Fitel is hiring 200 new employees.

47 minutes ago, Dale said:

I lived in Orlando 11 years. Moved to Charlotte in 2013.  Shortly thereafter Orlando decides to go bonkers. Seems like it's on every superlative list these days.

Ok, I will take the bait.

By what measure is being #22 going "bonkers"?

Smaller Austin is #2. What would be call that, if #22 is "bonkers"?

3 minutes ago, bqknight said:

Should everyone explain how that’s not an accurate depiction of a city again? 

The Kauffman Foundation Start-Up Survey is based on MSAs.

I didn't chose the methodology.

Look it up.

The Kauffman survey is no different than how the government and economists evaluate the economic health of cities.

I didn't chose their methodologies.

Look them up.

If you want me to repost my previous explanation of MSA, let me know.  I'd be happy.