Economic Development

Ann Arbor:  Software development company Nexient is hiring 300 workers.

Austin:  Oracle founder Larry Ellison announced the new Austin campus will hire 10,000 new workers. Former estimates indicated that 3,000 employees would work at the campus.

Raleigh, NC:  Conduent (a business services provider) is establishing a "global technology & innovation hub".  The hub will start with 200 new employees.

San Francisco:  Samsara is hiring 250 new employees. The firm is a "leader in enterprise Internet-of-Things (IoT) systems."

Tampa:  Construction company Suffolk is establishing a Smart Lab that will specialize in virtual-reality applications and 3D modeling.  Suffolk has other Smart Labs in NYC, Boston, Miami, San Francisco and LA.

33 minutes ago, I am Reality said:

Ann Arbor:  Software development company Nexient is hiring 300 workers.

Austin:  Oracle founder Larry Ellison announced the new Austin campus will hire 10,000 new workers. Former estimates indicated that 3,000 employees would work at the campus.

Raleigh, NC:  Conduent (a business services provider) is establishing a "global technology & innovation hub".  The hub will start with 200 new employees.

San Francisco:  Samsara is hiring 250 new employees. The firm is a "leader in enterprise Internet-of-Things (IoT) systems."

Tampa:  Construction company Suffolk is establishing a Smart Lab that will specialize in virtual-reality applications and 3D modeling.  Suffolk has other Smart Labs in NYC, Boston, Miami, San Francisco and LA.

This is an Orlando forum...why are we having an RSS feed of other cities job openings?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, bqknight said:

This is an Orlando forum...why are we having an RSS feed of other cities job openings?

Perhaps you haven't read any of my previous posts. I prefer an informed discussion when talking about economic development here.  That means being informed about what is going on elsewhere.

If Austin is getting 10k Oracle jobs, Orlando is not.

It's a zero-sum game. 

Please feel free to post high-wage job openings here in Orlando.  

I do.

The more good-paying local job openings...the better.  Bring them on.

1 hour ago, I am Reality said:

Perhaps you haven't read any of my previous posts. I prefer an informed discussion when talking about economic development here.  That means being informed about what is going on elsewhere.

If Austin is getting 10k Oracle jobs, Orlando is not.

It's a zero-sum game. 

Please feel free to post high-wage job openings here in Orlando.  

I do.

The more good-paying local job openings...the better.  Bring them on.

This is a forum about Orlando. Not the ENTIRETY of the rest of the USA. Other places are going to get jobs. We don't need a Google Alerts feed of that. You're talking to yourself. 

17 minutes ago, bqknight said:

This is a forum about Orlando. Not the ENTIRETY of the rest of the USA. Other places are going to get jobs. We don't need a Google Alerts feed of that. You're talking to yourself. 

Don't tell me what to write or not. 

Ignore it if you prefer.

I ignore alot of things on here.

It's not hard.

Try it.

3 minutes ago, I am Reality said:

Who the hell are you to say that?

Seriously...where the hell do you get off? 

I list some freaking jobs and I get attacked?

Again, ignore what you don't like.

It's rather simple.

Try it.

I know better.

Than to get worked up.

Over a snit.

That we couldn't pry.

From your soft, damp hands.

2 hours ago, Dale said:

... or fun.

You surely have tons of "fun" over at "520 Church St - 12 Story Residential Approved". 

What's more "fun" than "520 Church St - 12  Story Residential Approved", after all????

I forgot you are so much "fun".

My bad.

If you find my posts uninteresting, kindly ignore them.

I ignore stuff all the time.

For example, I can't handle the nutty, off-the wall, kooky "fun" over at "520 Church Street - 12 Story Residential Approved".

Or the laugh-riot comments about the Colonial Pedestrian Overpass.

I laugh until I hurt.

So I ignore them.

It's super easy.

Try it.

Austin:  Pharmaceutical company Merck will soon open its 4th global innovation hub.  The innovation center will employ 600 new workers, with an average wage of $85k/yr.  Merck has other innovation hubs in Singapore, the Czech Republic and New Jersey.

Memphis:  SYNNEX Corp will hire 600 new employees.  SYNNEX is a Fortune 500 company that offers data servers, cloud storage and network solutions for clients.

Tampa:  A joint venture between Siemens & Chromallay Gas Turbines selected Tampa for its HQ.   The company - called Advanced Airfoil Components - will hire 350 workers. AAC will develop next-generation gas turbines.

Denver:  Software firm Xactly is hiring 250-350 new employees.

Las Vegas:  Scientific Games is moving its global HQ to Las Vegas and is hiring 300 new employees.

Las Vegas:  Cascade FinTech is hiring 300 new employees.

By my count, today's list includes 2,500 new high-wage tech jobs (and 3 new HQ/hubs) that passed over Orlando.  All cities are roughly the same size or smaller than Orlando (with the arguable exception of Tampa)

Why is Orlando getting passed over? 

Edited by I am Reality

Why is Orlando getting passed over? 

Austin- Merck! Heck yeah, that is a great get. I'd love to have them here. This deal was announced over a year ago and the main reason Austin was chosen was the Dell Medical School program and their ties to Merck’s mission. The $7 million from the State and City didn’t hurt.

Memphis- SYNNEX is a CA  based company and has had a  MS facility for over a decade. This is a "relocation" of their present location about 30 minutes up the road. The old building is being converted to manufacturing. The TVA, MDA, both cities involved, the county, the state and Entargy are providing financial assistance for the expansion.

Tampa- Airfoil. Chromeallay (a Sequa company, owned by The Carlyle Group) is out of West Palm and this project was definitely going to be in the I-4 corridor (out of state locations weren't really considered even if the Gov said otherwise). Chromally already had 2 plants operating in the Tampa area so locating this joint venture there made sense. Tampa Hillsborough EDC, the county, Florida Dept of Economic Opportunity, Enterprise Florida and the FHTCC put together the tax assistance package and it didn't hurt that a military base (primary customer) was in the neighborhood. BTW, Siemens has locations throughout the I-4 corridor from Space Coast to Bay Area including half a dozen (nearly 4000 employees) here in Orlando.

Denver- Xactly is CA based, but already had a sizable location in Denver. Xactly was acquired last year by Vista Equity Partners who happens to be located in... wait for it... Denver (that would be R. Smith of Vista EP, who drove this expansion and has done the same with several of his other holdings). Xactly gets an $11 million package from the city to make the expansion and stroke the new investors ego. Bingo...!!!

Las Vegas- Scientific Games is a gambling company. I think Vegas was a good strategic decision on their part.

Las Vegas- Cascade FinTech’s only location, to the best of my knowledge, is in Vegas. It makes sense to hire new employees there.

Edited by AmIReal