Orlando Extended Metro Developments (Volusia/Brevard/East Polk)

jrs2

So, West Volusia is just past the St. Johns but isn't part of the MSA on record, but really is in practice.  Same with Brevard and East Polk.   That's the purpose of this thread.

Former Desert Inn, gutted, and redeveloped into The Hard Rock Hotel Daytona.

20180306_122506.jpg

20180306_122711.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HankStrong said:

That's a sweet looking Jeremiah's! 

What's even better about it is that the central road through the complex splits to the left and righ leaving a long island in the center.  That's where Jeremiah's is.  There's a bunch of seating there too.  Great ambiance.

• Like 1

Here is a couple of renderings of the Protogroup twin hotel/condo resort going up on A1A right where the Seabreeze Bridge/ Oakridge hits A1A, about a block and a half north of the Ocean Center.  I also took a photo of the construction progress at Oakridge & A1A.

20180306_122937.jpg

Daytona-Beach-Convention-Hotel-Condominiums.jpg

AR-605059143.jpg

AR-605066594.jpg

Edited by jrs2
  • Like 1

jrs2, is that where the beach approach was that ran under the old Plaza? I had heard it was toast and hated to lose it (when I was a kid it seemed amazing a road could run under a building like that right on to the beach.)

I loved the shot above of the refurbished Streamline. Kudos to the Frances and all involved with restoring it. Sadly, in true France fashion, I have heard reports they are not embracing diversity and it's now the opposite of gay-friendly. I'm hoping that's an overreaction.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

jrs2, is that where the beach approach was that ran under the old Plaza? I had heard it was toast and hated to lose it (when I was a kid it seemed amazing a road could run under a building like that right on to the beach.)

I loved the shot above of the refurbished Streamline. Kudos to the Frances and all involved with restoring it. Sadly, in true France fashion, I have heard reports they are not embracing diversity and it's now the opposite of gay-friendly. I'm hoping that's an overreaction.

To my knowledge, the beach approach under The Plaza is still there; if it's closed, maybe only temporarily.  But I may be wrong b/c we've had two big hurricanes in two years and The Plaza took a beating.  To illustrate, they still hadn't fixed the damage from Matthew when Irma hit.  Now it's being fixed, which is weird timing-wise.

This project oddly enough, as part of their deal with the City agreed to build a parking garage at the NW corner of A1A and Oakridge (the Seabreeze Bridge EB lanes) to offset the loss of beach parking on the beach in front of this project.  

I heard that the Streamline has been renovated majorly on the interior.  It would be a shame if that was true about not being gay-friendly.  Shows you how much I know; I didn't even realize the France family was behind it.

Edited by jrs2
  • Like 1

Daytona is such an odd duck of a town. It should have everything going for it, with movers and shakers like Hyatt Brown's family and the Frances. With ERAU, B-CC, UCF's local campus and DSC, there should be plenty of talent to help the place boom. Not to mention the 5th Circuit DCA improbably located there confirming the clout that existed.

Nevertheless, the powers that be have been clannish and done everything they could to defeat progress. It's a shame. I read an article this week in the N-J that NSB is pulling more building permits than the other towns in Volusia. Amazing.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2018 at 10:49 AM, Dale said:

Weren't there rumors that Protogroup is going to be taller than originally announced ?

Dale, I'm not sure, but tower 2 will be the tallest in DB, taller than Peck Plaza.  Here's Peck Plaza after Hurricane Matthew; built in the 1970's:

1007495765-FL_DAY_A1A-HOLES-59.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dale said:

Man, are they still repairing Peck Plaza ?

They were still repairing The Plaza Resort & Spa at Seabreeze & A1A when Irma hit.  Now, they've done repairs and remodeling en force since Irma.  Weird.  It's like repairs stalled prior to Irma as if they knew Irma would form and hit.  Or, maybe the insurance company was slow in paying.  But still, if they kept the same insurance company, it would've been 2 separate claims.  I don't know.  It's looking nice presently.  I'll snap some photos when I get a chance.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dale said:

Thanks, the beach still has a ways to go, but developments like Protogroup, Hard Rock and the couple of hotels planned should add much-needed sheen to that stretch.

Damn, Dale...you're making instant texting obsolete!  You're on top of this mamma jamma!

16 minutes ago, Dale said:

Sorry, grew up in DB. Much as I'd like to disown it, I get all tingly when I see signs of life. :)

Amen, brotha.  My emotions are as follows when I hear about new stuff getting built there:  First, disbelief and shock because I've been conditioned to expect nothing new happening there.  Second, excitement.

Here's a good one:  The Volusia Mall just razed the Sears Auto Center and the entire tract from the closest entrance to US-92, and east to the edge of the property, is fenced off.  They are planning to build a 6 restaurant expansion of the actual mall.  As of last month, 3 restaurants were already signed.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20180102/

http://www.newsdaytonabeach.com/wndb-news/volusia-mall-redevelopment-project-to-feature-bonefish-grill-more/

Bonefish Grille & Metro Diner & The Casual Pint Craft Beer Market (first in Fla) so far.

AR-180109561.jpg

Edited by jrs2

Very nice as the mall has been looking long-in-the-tooth for ages now.  Improvements like these, along with One Daytona and the speedway are turning that stretch into a stimulating drive.

LPGA going bonkers.

Downtown is already quaint, add Brown and Brown.

Stuff happening beachside ... I'm slightly giddy.

• Like 1