Orlando Extended Metro Developments (Volusia/Brevard/East Polk)

jrs2

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Wow! Daytona Beach International Airport is a nice clean smaller airport, but has struggled in the past to get airlines there. This is pretty big news for Volusia County. I think Volusia County has a lot of potential and is headed in the right direction.

Edited by orange87
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, orange87 said:

Wow! Daytona Beach International Airport is a nice clean smaller airport, but has struggled in the past to get airlines there. This is pretty big news for Volusia County. I think Volusia County has a lot of potential and is headed in the right direction.

So, JetBlue, I guess stopped receiving County incentives so they dumped the DAB to JFK route.

The good news is that American Airlines is picking up that route.

1 hour ago, orange87 said:

32 arrested in Daytona Beach on panhandling charges in 5 days

I'm happy to see something is being done there to address the problem. However, nearby cities such as New Smyrna and Ormond are sweating. Rumor is other cities are looking to write the same ordinance, but they are waiting for Daytona- or St Augustine who was the first to use this law as it is written- to defend it in court to see how it stands up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TBH, there are so many homeless shelters in and around downtown DB that offer a place to stay and a hot meal, there is no legitimate reason for anyone to panhandle for money around there.

I'm sure there are also cash-pay day labor services in the vicinity, where they can pick up not too strenuous minimum wage work a couple of days a week, to keep money in their pockets.

Of course, the shelters require them to be on the property by 5 pm and no alcohol or drugs. The ones who bother people for money probably prefer to hang around on the streets, partying all night.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

TBH, there are so many homeless shelters in and around downtown DB that offer a place to stay and a hot meal, there is no legitimate reason for anyone to panhandle for money around there.

I'm sure there are also cash-pay day labor services in the vicinity, where they can pick up not too strenuous minimum wage work a couple of days a week, to keep money in their pockets.

Of course, the shelters require them to be on the property by 5 pm and no alcohol or drugs. The ones who bother people for money probably prefer to hang around on the streets, partying all night.

Last time I went to Daytona Beach me and my family were approached by panhandlers every few feet it seemed like. It was absolutely out of control. Hopefully this new law works.

• Like 1

Consolodated-Tomoka announces "proposals" for the old First Baptist property and the parking lot south of the Ocean Center (spenser may get an answer to his question "Who want to live next to a convention center"). A few highlights to the story...

"The first, code-named “Project Delta,” is a redevelopment project that could bring 300 “luxury” apartments, a grocery store, street-front restaurants and shops and a parking garage to the downtown property Consolidated-Tomoka owns where First Baptist Church is currently located."

"The other, with the simple working title “Main Street Mixed-Use,” would redevelop a city-owned parking lot directly south of the Ocean Center convention complex. The project calls for building a high-rise that would include street-front retail, a parking garage and either apartments or condominiums, along with a covered pedestrian overpass connecting the Ocean Center and the Hilton."

"The company recently commissioned a nationally recognized architecture firm to create conceptual plans for both Project Delta and the Main Street mixed-use project."

Oh, and then the other shoe... 

"John Albright, the president and CEO of Consolidated-Tomoka, stressed that there are no guarantees that either project will be built."

“These renderings are just that — images that show potential developments which can, and most likely will, change depending on many factors,” he added.

Anyhoo… worth thinking about. The story includes drawings. Project Delta looks like Novel and the Main Street project has a visor.

https://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20190218/consolidated-tomoka-proposes-big-projects-to-revitalize-daytonas-downtown-beachside

• Like 1

On 2/19/2019 at 1:24 PM, AmIReal said:

Consolodated-Tomoka announces "proposals" for the old First Baptist property and the parking lot south of the Ocean Center (spenser may get an answer to his question "Who want to live next to a convention center"). A few highlights to the story...

"The first, code-named “Project Delta,” is a redevelopment project that could bring 300 “luxury” apartments, a grocery store, street-front restaurants and shops and a parking garage to the downtown property Consolidated-Tomoka owns where First Baptist Church is currently located."

"The other, with the simple working title “Main Street Mixed-Use,” would redevelop a city-owned parking lot directly south of the Ocean Center convention complex. The project calls for building a high-rise that would include street-front retail, a parking garage and either apartments or condominiums, along with a covered pedestrian overpass connecting the Ocean Center and the Hilton."

"The company recently commissioned a nationally recognized architecture firm to create conceptual plans for both Project Delta and the Main Street mixed-use project."

Oh, and then the other shoe... 

"John Albright, the president and CEO of Consolidated-Tomoka, stressed that there are no guarantees that either project will be built."

“These renderings are just that — images that show potential developments which can, and most likely will, change depending on many factors,” he added.

Anyhoo… worth thinking about. The story includes drawings. Project Delta looks like Novel and the Main Street project has a visor.

https://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20190218/consolidated-tomoka-proposes-big-projects-to-revitalize-daytonas-downtown-beachside

that parking lot next to Ocean Center- great idea, and if they can make it look nice, even better.

the land in downtown Daytona- hopefully they make it dense.  the grocery will get raided by all of the vagrants near there, though.

I've always wondered why Daytona Beach's population has remained the same for almost 30 years, always right around 61,000. You'd think a place with global name recognition right on the coast with warm weather and low cost of living would make it a place a lot of people would want to move to. Is it the crime and poverty that keeps people away?

31 minutes ago, orange87 said:

I've always wondered why Daytona Beach's population has remained the same for almost 30 years, always right around 61,000. You'd think a place with global name recognition right on the coast with warm weather and low cost of living would make it a place a lot of people would want to move to. Is it the crime and poverty that keeps people away?

Didn’t you make this comment like 3 days ago somewhere else? I’m getting a serious case of deja vu for some reason.

3 hours ago, orange87 said:

The population of Daytona proper is pretty misleading. Daytona is much larger than it seems - the population of the city including port orange, Ormond, holly hill, etc is close to 350,000 these days.  Keep in mind Daytona can’t grow north, south or east due to the boundaries with other cities and the sea. The past few years, the most robust population growth has been in Port orange which now sits at about 63k. 

17 hours ago, orange87 said:

I did. But someone in another thread told me to post it in this thread instead.

Yeah, sorry 'bout that.  I thought that Spenser1058 would chime in and give some historical insight...

But, yeah, Daytona proper, which has lots of land, hasn't grown much ala population, which is mainly in the core & LPGA; it's growth has been retail, industrial, etc.  Port Orange and Ormond Beach and rural NSB have seen a lot of growth for East Volusia County.

20 hours ago, orange87 said:

I read it.  interesting, except they don't say who manages the meters and who owns them, just like any foundation.  How much money actually goes to the homeless?  They don't analyze that at all.

• Like 1

A shame. Not the demolition- it has become necessary- but the neglect...

Daytona Beach issues emergency demolition order for historic hotel

The Lyndhurst Hotel has stood for 121 years in downtown Daytona Beach. But years of decay have left the structure in such bad shape that the city has condemned the property located near the northwest corner of Beach Street and Mary McLeod Bethune Boulevard.

https://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20190304/daytona-beach-issues-emergency-demolition-order-for-historic-hotel

• Sad 2

SpaceX crew capsule (unmanned test flight) successfully splashed down in the Atlantic. This takes us one giant step closer to a return to manned space flights from Brevard.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2019/03/08/homeward-bound-spacex-capsule-headed-splash-down-key-step-toward-human-spaceflight/

From the Washington Post 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The McHenrys, who’ve been updating NSB a little bit at a time, are at it again.

This time they’re turning a 1914 packing house downtown into an event venue.

https://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20190312/wedding-event-venue-in-store-for-former-nsb-citrus-packing-plant?template=ampart

From the News-Journal

Although the NIMBYs sometimes complain, each of their projects fits into their neighborhoods. If only they were in charge of fixing Daytona instead of the clueless suits who never seem to get it right.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1