Orlando Extended Metro Developments (Volusia/Brevard/East Polk)

jrs2

Thank goodness, the $5 million redo of the US1 and Canal St. intersection in NSB is finally getting underway.

As the gateway to downtown, it is really down at the heels (even worse than Orange Avenue and 50 in downtown Orlando when Mama B was still the big draw).

Not only will the streetscape make it look better, it’s also a traffic nightmare during much of the day right now.

https://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20190314/work-starts-monday-on-5m-overhaul-to-us-1-near-canal-st-in-nsb?template=ampart

From the News-Journal 

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

There they go again. Instead of using the hundreds (if not thousands) of acres in disrepair along ISB (US 92) and Ridgewood Ave. (US1) to spur the long-delayed renaissance of downtown Daytona, the suits are now seeking to pave over City Island Park.

It’s a true gem that should rival Boston’s “emerald necklace” or Manhattan’s Central Park If restored properly. That’s what would bring people back, not more concrete bunkers. (It’s historic, too - Jackie Robinson first played against an MLB team, breaking baseball’s color barrier, at City Island).

At one time, Beach St. was among the most attractive downtown shopping districts in the southeast. As usual, Daytona’s developers just don’t get it.

What’s even worse is that we can’t blame it on out-of-towners with no sense of place. Many of these guys are from Volusia but they are still locked into some some kind of 1960’s mentality when it comes to the core areas of the county’s east side.

https://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20190316/daytona-beach-looks-to-clear-way-for-private-development-on-city-island?template=ampart

From the News-Journal 

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/audience/david-whitley/os-ae-jackie-robinson-david-whitley-0131-story,amp.html

From the Sentinel 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_Island_(Daytona_Beach)

From Wikipedia 

Edited by spenser1058

Peabody Auditorium is celebrating its 100th anniversary this year, making it a half-dozen years older than Orlando’s Bob Carr.

That’s a bit of a misnomer, though, as the original burned and was rebuilt in the 1940’s. Nevertheless, it’s an amazing venue that has hosted everything from Elvis to the London Symphony.

Sadly, as the beachside declines, the Peabody finds itself in an ever rougher neighborhood. Just another example of the neglect foisted  on the peninsula by the local suits.

https://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20190319/daytonas-peabody-auditorium-celebrates-100-years?template=ampart

From the News-Journal 

• Like 1

Delaware North (who operates KSC’s tourist business for NASA) has announced construction of a new Courtyard by Marriott that will be the closet lodging to the KSC launch complexes.

As we get ready for the US to resume manned launches, several new lodging properties are coming online.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-bz-marriott-space-coast-20190321-story.html

From the Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

Hotel occupancy trending downward during Speedweeks and Bike Week at Daytona:

https://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20190323/hotel-bookings-took-steep-dive-for-bike-week-2019-is-areas-oldest-special-event-riding-off-into-sunset?template=ampart

They keep tearing down everything unique about the area and then are shocked, shocked! I tell you, that they’re attracting fewer new guests. 

Streamline and La Playa both up for auction - article notes Daytona Beach is one of the few places in Florida that beachside properties go for less than $2 mil/acre.

The suits have been promising restoration with their endless vistas of concrete for how many years now and it keeps getting worse. What’s the definition of insanity again?

https://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20190325/daytonas-la-playa-beach-resort-heads-to-auction-block?template=ampart

From the News-Journal 

12 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

They should've left DB alone around the Mainstreet/pier/boardwalk & beach area and let it keep that kind of seedy atmosphere that it had in the 70's and which gave it such charm. 

They could have restored it, just like South Beach. Imagine a homegrown, ubercasual Dave and Busters along with the ice cream, pizza and hot dog vendors. 

Refurbish the pier with an updated Space Needle and sky ride. Program the bandshell with nightly concerts including pop, indie rock and country (hey, this is NASCAR territory.) A few of the carnival games vetted to be fun and not a ripoff.

Restoring gems like the Sea Dip and some of the smaller ‘60’s motels. in short, encourage organic growth and rebirth.

They did none of that. Instead, they paved paradise and put up a parking lot.

And they’re shocked, shocked! I tell you that no one much liked what they did.

Meanwhile, NSB and DeLand Both did versions of what I’ve described and are more popular than ever. Do we detect a pattern here?

• Like 1

All those coquina structures they tore down between the boardwalk and the band shell gave the area a unique Coney Island feel. What total lack of respect they showed for the city's past. That's what happens when you have short-sighted money grubbers in local government.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

All those coquina structures they tore down between the boardwalk and the band shell gave the area a unique Coney Island feel. What total lack of respect they showed for the city's past. That's what happens when you have short-sighted money grubbers in local government.

Amen.

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

article notes Daytona Beach is one of the few places in Florida that beachside properties go for less than $2 mil/acre

Maybe I skimmed the article too quickly, but I did not see the note to that. What I did see was...

"Both the Streamline and the La Playa would only sell if the highest bidder were to at least match the respective sellers' "reserve price,""

and

"So far at least 200 prospective buyers have agreed to sign confidentiality agreements to place bids on the Streamline, said Sexton. "That's double what we typically target," he added.

Tim Davis of SVN said he would expect the La Playa to generate even greater interest."

Those comments sound like a seller(s) recognizing an overly exuberant market, and trying to capitalize on it. And an overly exuberant market responding in interest . As I've said, I've got business property in that area that I recently put on the market for about 30% above what I think is a reasonable price and it is generating interest

3 hours ago, JFW657 said:

They should've left DB alone around the Mainstreet/pier/boardwalk & beach area and let it keep that kind of seedy atmosphere that it had in the 70's and which gave it such charm. 

There is more than enough seedy charm there at this time and I don't think the local government added to it. I do see them currently trying to address the issue and, hopefully, improving the blight that has existed there for the past decade plus.

12 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Maybe I skimmed the article too quickly, but I did not see the note to that. What I did see was...

"Both the Streamline and the La Playa would only sell if the highest bidder were to at least match the respective sellers' "reserve price,""

and

"So far at least 200 prospective buyers have agreed to sign confidentiality agreements to place bids on the Streamline, said Sexton. "That's double what we typically target," he added.

Tim Davis of SVN said he would expect the La Playa to generate even greater interest."

Those comments sound like a seller(s) recognizing an overly exuberant market, and trying to capitalize on it. And an overly exuberant market responding in interest . As I've said, I've got business property in that area that I recently put on the market for about 30% above what I think is a reasonable price and it is generating interest

There is more than enough seedy charm there at this time and I don't think the local government added to it. I do see them currently trying to address the issue and, hopefully, improving the blight that has existed there for the past decade plus.

That note was in the linked article about the Streamline, I believe.

The idea that endless concrete high rises and a huge convention center were going to save the beachside has been going on since the mid ‘80’s. The capstone of the initial effort, the Marriott, in which they destroyed a good portion of the northern end of the broad walk, opened in 1988. They’ve continued down that path for 30 years now, building concrete canyons on the beach, letting the broad walk and the surrounding neighborhoods fall apart, and continue to be shocked that both occupancy and property values are declining.

Meanwhile, NSB and DeLand started from the bottom up by restoring neighborhoods and retail districts with plans that fit into the design and history of their respective neighborhoods.

The result? The second-tier towns in Volusia are doing better than ever while, Daytona, once the flagship of the region, is falling apart.

But, sure, let’s do the same things for the next 30 years and this time it will be different, right?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

I liked the old DB boardwalk & pier area of the 70's & 80's.

Daytona was a cool place back then.

Much less touristy.

• Like 1

Heard something to the effect that they're considering ending or moving bike week to February. Apparently competition from other bike events among other factors has attendance and hotel occupancy rates down. Trying to create a more "family friendly" atmosphere for spring break.

Before long they'll be calling in Dulltona Beach.  :yawn:

Or worse, Deadtona Beach.

5 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Heard something to the effect that they're considering ending or moving bike week to February. Apparently competition from other bike events among other factors has attendance and hotel occupancy rates down. Trying to create a more "family friendly" atmosphere for spring break.

Before long they'll be calling in Dulltona Beach.  :yawn:

Or worse, Deadtona Beach.

And then you can motor across FL 40 to Sloooooo-cala!

Just now, spenser1058 said:

And then you can motor across FL 40 to Sloooooo-cala!

Don’t worry, tho - they’ll build another 30-story high-rise with no pedestrian access from A1A and close off some more of the beach and that will fix everything!

Thank goodness, I decamped for NSB years ago. Flagler Avenue just gets better and better, as does downtown. Breakfast at Little Drug and dinner at JB’s Fish Camp - yummy!

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 8:08 PM, spenser1058 said:

That note was in the linked article about the Streamline, I believe.

Yes, I found the quote. It is oddly worded and was likely a sentence fragment that didn't include all the qualifiers. Yes, Daytona beach front, developable land runs about $2M/AC. However, most of the Atlantic coast property of the same type runs about $1M/AC. Palm Coast and NSB are slightly over $1M and Ormond is slightly under. In fact, Daytona property in that category is the highest along the FL coast until you get to Broward. There are several reasons for this, not the least of which is inventory and permissible land uses allowing developers to make a lot more money on their return.

I assume the quote from the article was only including Daytona as a comparison to other beach cities that develop in the same model such as the south Florida area, the Tampa coast and PCB to Destin in which land prices are slightly higher to way higher. I think the quote was intended to exclude the hundreds of little beachside, bed-room communities that dot the Florida coast and where development is rare.