Orlando Extended Metro Developments (Volusia/Brevard/East Polk)

jrs2

We had already discussed the closing of the Sears at the Oaks Mall in Gainesville. Now, the drumbeat moves closer with this announcement that the store at SearsTown in Titusville will also go dark this summer.

Ironically, as Brevard gets its groove back, the north end of the county is still feeling the retail apocalypse (we've also discussed the demise of Miracle City Mall in T'ville previously.)

https://m.sfgate.com/technology/businessinsider/article/Sears-is-closing-more-stores-and-selling-others-12825378.php

From SFgate.com

• Like 1

Shame.  on a related note, the Sears Auto Center demolition having finished a couple of months back at Volusia Mall, the steel structure of the first of six restaurant outparcels/wing at Volusia Mall in front of Sears is already up as of last night.

So hopefully, the infusion of these new eateries at the Mall will help in boosting the clientele.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The Smyrna Dunes Park renovations are complete and open again. It's the only dog-friendly beach area on the NSB side of Ponce Inlet. So load up Fido in the Escape and head on over.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20180613/nsbs-smyrna-dunes-park-renovations-open-to-plenty-of-fun?template=ampart

From the News-Journal

• Like 1

North Causeway marina deal on city-owned property fails in NSB. Personally, I'd like to bring back the Publix proposal (although I don't know if this would be an addition or replacement for the Indian River Village store.)

http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20180613/dead-in-water-nsb-refuses-to-extend-deadline-for-marina-deal?template=ampart

From the News-Journal

• Like 1

I rode up to Daytona this past weekend and had a burger at the place in One Daytona. I am not too impressed with the development - it's a small-scale theme center that'll be nice add-on to a race or beach trip, but by no means a destination in itself. 

I was also interested to learn that One Daytona patrons are charged a 1% fee on top of tax which goes, presumably, to the developers.

35332469_10108187757046092_6061955530639802368_n.thumb.jpg.b800b8b459e14bc6d0cdee6944787874.jpg

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, smileguy said:

I rode up to Daytona this past weekend and had a burger at the place in One Daytona. I am not too impressed with the development - it's a small-scale theme center that'll be nice add-on to a race or beach trip, but by no means a destination in itself. 

I was also interested to learn that One Daytona patrons are charged a 1% fee on top of tax which goes, presumably, to the developers.

35332469_10108187757046092_6061955530639802368_n.thumb.jpg.b800b8b459e14bc6d0cdee6944787874.jpg

very interesting, the EAF.

One Daytona is not as large as I-Drive 360 or Pointe Orlando or Colonial Towne Park ala number of establishments.  But for Daytona, based on it's retail history, it's obviously  is a big deal.  I hear the Cobb Cinema there is the best in CFLA.  You are correct; if you are going to go eat or go out, it is a great location. 

The Orlando Eye and Madam Tassaud's are the two major draws at I-Drive 360 (add Starflyer now).  One Daytona has the Speedway (3-4 events per year) and Bass Pro and Cobb Cinema as the major draws (PF Chang's and Guitar Center probably come in next); no rides or "attractions."  Not sure how many shop at the Lilly Pulitzer store.  But Jeremiah's Ice and that Burger place are usually busy too.  So is the Italian Restaurant.  One hotel is already open and the larger one should open in 3 months; that will be a pivotal piece of the puzzle when it opens.

That being said, as it is now, the place is usually packed.  

They also redid Volusia Pointe Plaza and are integrating it into the overall complex; major face lift and some restructuring; night and day.  First Watch is there.  They're also  going to build apartments east of the cinema as well.

What they are planning to do, is that when Oklahoma Joe's BBQ opens up, and it's sister opens at Ace Cafe Orlando, they will host rallys that travel between both locations.  I think Joe's will be the busiest place there when it opens.  But Gametime (Dave & Busters-like chain) will be another huge draw when it opens.

That being said, I personally think that they will expand it when they gage how big of a draw it can become.

Now, that being said, it has or will have stiff competition from Tanger because Tanger is usually full, and they are building a large SC on the property adjacent to it (and a SAM's) which will not only have several restaurant out parcels, but also a Dave n Buster's (to compete with Gametime).  The Tanger center is about 2 miles north off of Williamson & LPGA Blvd.

• Like 1

Does Volusia Mall still have three Dillard's? I hope not, because I've been reading the Dillard family is buying back stock instead of investing in the chain and there are rumors they'll be headed down the same path as Sears before too long, even as Macy's, Kohl's and Target are rebounding.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Does Volusia Mall still have three Dillard's? I hope not, because I've been reading the Dillard family is buying back stock instead of investing in the chain and there are rumors they'll be headed down the same path as Sears before too long, even as Macy's, Kohl's and Target are rebounding.

Yes.  3 Dillard's.  And they were not very happy with the Mall when it renovated the interior; their protest was that they should renovate the exterior to get more people in.  However now, they are building out a few more restaurant outparcels in front of the Sears.

If Dillard's closes, that will be a major black eye there.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

That was exactly that did in Sears.  Eddie Lampert buying back stock and letting the stores die.  Sears in 2005 had a chance at surviving if investment came and it was able to adapt.   Not with that guy at the wheel.  If Dillards is buying stock back and doing the same thing, its going to be the same death spiral.  

• Like 2

Interesting article on just how active SpaceX plans to be at the Cape. Also note that Cape Canaveral is the "busiest private launch center."

An industry where we're #1 and with good paying jobs to boot. Who knew?

SpaceX hopes to launch 4,000 satellites, mostly from Florida, NASA report says
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/space/os-bz-spacex-satellites-cape-20180614-story.html

From the Sentinel

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

This has the potential to be huge. Tomoka Land is buying the First Baptist Church property in downtown Daytona Beach which is close to the new headquarters Brown and Brown is building. I think it's safe to say downtown Daytona hasn't seen this much activity in decades. It will be amazing to watch what happens.

One thing that concerns me is the fate of First Baptist's sanctuary (the church is moving to the 'burbs, as good Baptists are wont to do), which is close to 65 years old. It would be a tragedy to lose that landmark.

Now if they could do something about the decrepit former car dealerships along ISB. Here's hoping.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20180629/consolidated-buys-first-baptist-site-in-downtown-daytona?template=ampart

From the News-Journal

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This has the potential to be huge. Tomoka Land is buying the First Baptist Church property in downtown Daytona Beach which is close to the new headquarters Brown and Brown is building. I think it's safe to say downtown Daytona hasn't seen this much activity in decades. It will be amazing to see what happens.

One thing that concerns me is the fate of First Baptist's sanctuary (the church is moving to the 'burbs, as good Baptists are wont to do), which is close to 65 years old. It would be a tragedy to lose that landmark.

Now if they could do something about the decrepit former car dealerships along ISB. Here's hoping.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20180629/consolidated-buys-first-baptist-site-in-downtown-daytona?template=ampart

From the News-Journal

The nitwits who run that town need their heads examined. Or their butts kicked. As with the coquina structures in the boardwalk area, they are erasing their history.

From the article:

The property on North Palmetto Avenue has been the church's home since 1900.

...the aging church building and other older structures would be torn down to make way for a new development,...

"I trust their (Consolidated-Tomoka's) vision even without knowing exactly what it is," said Jack White of the Jack White Land Co., who brought the availability of the First Baptist property to Albright's attention a year ago. White and his wife Kelly, a Realtor and City Commissioner, have been longtime proponents of efforts to revitalize downtown Daytona Beach where they live and own several historic commercial buildings.

"Growing up (as a worshipper) at First Baptist, I love the church," White said of the congregation's desire to raise funds to build a new larger campus on Tomoka Farms Road.

So, the guy behind all this is the owner of a land development company as well as commercial property in the same vicinity, which would stand to greatly increase in value as a result of the development he's pushing, while his wife is a realtor and on the city council. Says he grew up worshipping at the historic old church and now, for what looks a lot to me like the sake of his own personal enrichment, is pushing to see it demolished to make room for some ugly, tacky, cheesy looking new modern apartment buildings. 

Oh well.

I keep hoping that the same folks who bring the London Symphony over periodically will knock some sense into the good ol' boys whose ideas of urban redevelopment are stuck in the 1960's. No doubt it's wishful thinking. Thankfully, (Delightful!) DeLand and the Coronado Crowd in NSB are holding the fort at some of Volusia's towns.

There's also a move afoot to take back Ormond, but it long ago got so paved over by asphalt that I'm not how much there is left to save.

And so it goes.

The current building was built in the 1950's, not 1900. The church chose to buy their new property nearly a decade ago and sell the current location, knowing it would be torn down. Although it is a beautiful building and will be missed, I believe it would have been more incumbent on the church to protect it than the new owners or the City.

I keep hoping that the same folks who bring the London Symphony over periodically will knock some sense into the good ol' boys whose ideas of urban redevelopment are stuck in the 1960's. No doubt it's wishful thinking. Thankfully, (Delightful!) DeLand and the Coronado Crowd in NSB are holding the fort at some of Volusia's towns.

There's also a move afoot to take back Ormond, but it long ago got so paved over by asphalt that I'm not how much there is left to save.

And so it goes.

well, Daytona has a non-good 'ole boy black mayor, Derrick Henry; maybe he can stop it's demolition, unless he's a good 'ole boy too...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

well, Daytona has a non-good 'ole boy black mayor, Derrick Henry; maybe he can stop it's demolition, unless he's a good 'ole boy too...

There's still a big racial divide in Daytona. Since the city is  plurality African-American, a black can be elected (especially as the B-CC community is strong about voting). Unfortunately, Daytona does not have a strong mayor form of government (like Orlando, for example.)  

As a result, power in the city lies  elsewhere. What happens with 7 commissioners is it is very difficult to form a consensus that challenges the wishes of families like the Browns or Frances (city managers also have to be vetted by the powers that be.)

All in all, it's a perfect formula for making sure the city doesn't change much (and it hasn't in decades.) 

I worked for a mayoral candidate back in the '90's in Daytona whose goal was to upset the status quo. It didn't end well due to behind the scenes maneuvers and no one has tried since to lead the city in a different direction. (If anyone wants specifics, just send me a message and I'll respond. What happened isn't appropriate for the forum.)

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

I drove by the Baptist church.  I can't believe they're gonna tear it down.  Is nothing sacred to these people?

Regarding the Tomoka Town Center project, it is quickly taking shape; façade is going up...outparcels are being built out...the only project at all similar would be the Orlando Premium Outlets near Disney and the new plaza u/c behind it and bordering Dale Carter Blvd.  or whatever it's called.  I think Dale played for UT 25 years ago.

• Like 1