Orlando Extended Metro Developments (Volusia/Brevard/East Polk)

jrs2

6 minutes ago, WAJAS98 said:

Even though the mentioned trees specifically. I think what they were generally referring to was the natural landscape.

Have you driven in and around and through that part of Daytona where they plan to build this stuff?  There is nothing of value with regards to the natural landscape.  There is absolutely nothing.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Have you driven in and around and through that part of Daytona where they plan to build this stuff?  There is nothing of value with regards to the natural landscape.  There is absolutely nothing.

I have.  This is an aerial view to remind everyone what it looks like.  It's mostly forested with some temperate grasslands near the intersections.  Grasslands are just as natural as those forests are.

554148404_capture13.thumb.PNG.682d508587e742659390361b1e04c1f8.PNG

2 hours ago, WAJAS98 said:

I have.  This is an aerial view to remind everyone what it looks like.  It's mostly forested with some temperate grasslands near the intersections.  Grasslands are just as natural as those forests are.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=cfdcdf7370b84370554148404_capture13.thumb.PNG.682d508587e742659390361b1e04c1f8.PNG

Unless I read it wrong, they’re building along LPGA and not in the wooded area in the interior of where all those trees are.

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Hmmm.... the Palmetto Curtain is nothing? I know quite a few environmentalists who'd probably disagree with that. 

That's pretty much the original land cover in central Florida.

Well, I don’t see much of a Palmetto Curtain along LPGA Blvd between Clyde Morris and Williamson, where they are planning to build.

7 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Unless I read it wrong, they’re building along LPGA and not in the wooded area in the interior of where all those trees are.

Well, I don’t see much of a Palmetto Curtain along LPGA Blvd between Clyde Morris and Williamson, where they are planning to build.

That's for sure after Consolidated-Tomoka has been selling it off the last few years. They're not alone, of course. Samsula's headed the same way.

The Volusia County Council headed by amazing leaders like Pat Northey and Clay Henderson is long gone. In its wake are councilfolk who never met a developer's contribution they didn't greedily embrace. It's especially sad given their buddies on the Seminole County Commission have been showing some spine lately.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2018 at 10:48 PM, spenser1058 said:

That's for sure after Consolidated-Tomoka has been selling it off the last few years. They're not alone, of course. Samsula's headed the same way.

The Volusia County Council headed by amazing leaders like Pat Northey and Clay Henderson is long gone. In its wake are councilfolk who never met a developer's contribution they didn't greedily embrace. It's especially sad given their buddies on the Seminole County Commission have been showing some spine lately.

I’ve never heard the words amazing and Volusia County Council in the same sentence. Volusia and Daytona has been mis-managed and badly represented for decades. There has been a serious lack of talent running the show and it’s shown. The current council members are trying to get some semblance of growth going. If I were in that council, I would probably have to approve anything reasonable in front of me - Daytona needs it.  That’s just reality imo.  

Being able to show some spine is a luxury Volusia doesn’t have. 

Edited by leondecollao

Moon Express has received funding to expand on the Space Coast. The company, which specializes in lunar landers and has plans to mine the moon one day, moved to the area two years ago from CA and AL. More JOBS are expected.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/space/go-for-launch/os-moon-express-space-coast-20181003-story.html

From the Sentinel

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dale said:

Hearing that construction on this has been halted and that developers and workers have quit. Think it may be from the News-Journal.

seriously?  they were flying...maybe they aren't paying the contractor? Do you have a link to the article?

Edited by jrs2

Sorry for the previous drive by posting... I was heading out and didn't have time to follow up. I don't want to say this is a nothing, but anyone who has been involved in commercial development knows this is a fairly common occurrence.  If anything, it is unusual that Yates is fired as they are pretty highly regarded. This could go south quickly if Proto does not get a new GC in asap, but, again, this is not really unusual in this industry.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 2:11 PM, Dale said:

Hearing that construction on this has been halted and that developers and workers have quit.

"you didn't pay me"... "Yes I did"...

Typical story. Should have been topped out by holiday season, now will be delayed. Shame.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20181008/yates-protogroup-payments-were-late-on-daytona-beach-project

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AmIReal said:

"you didn't pay me"... "Yes I did"...

Typical story. Should have been topped out by holiday season, now will be delayed. Shame.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20181008/yates-protogroup-payments-were-late-on-daytona-beach-project

that GC needs to tread carefully b/c of who they are working for...and I'll leave it at that...

Well the good news is they have a new GC on the Protogroup project and permits should be issued today or Monday. The bad news is the GC seems very questionable.

https://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20181011/contractor-work-may-start-on-daytona-protogroup-hotel-by-monday

And less than a mile south of there the developer that revived the Streamline has begun developing additional contiguous lots. Unfortunately, he doesn't know what he wants the property to be when it is done.

https://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20181011/streamline-owner-embarks-on-plan-to-revitalize-daytonas-beachside

Big business news for central Florida. Harris, a Melbourne, Florida-based defense company and L3, a defense company based in New York will merge to form L3 Harris Technologies to create the sixth largest defense contractor in the U.S. L3 Harris Technologies will be headquarted in Melbourne, Florida.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Probably the most forgotten regional asset for Central Florida's economy is Port Canaveral. Despite that, it's growing apace and not just because of the cruise ship terminal.

Last year, the port had over $10 million in cargo revenue for the first time (a 6.9% increase.) Building the cargo business would be huge for the Orlando region if it continues.

Interestingly, the Brevard Zoo is still exploring the idea of an aquarium at the property which would be another addition to lengthen average stays on the Space Coast.

The article in the Sentinel also notes how far the port has come in just 65 years. It was originally created for military purposes and is on its way to becoming a full-service facility.

More cruisers, cargo push Port Canaveral to record revenue year
http://bit.ly/2PA4K1g

• Like 2