Orlando Extended Metro Developments (Volusia/Brevard/East Polk)

jrs2

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 3:12 PM, spenser1058 said:

Probably the most forgotten regional asset for Central Florida's economy is Port Canaveral. Despite that, it's growing apace and not just because of the cruise ship terminal.

Last year, the port had over $10 million in cargo revenue for the first time (a 6.9% increase.) Building the cargo business would be huge for the Orlando region if it continues.

Interestingly, the Brevard Zoo is still exploring the idea of an aquarium at the property which would be another addition to lengthen average stays on the Space Coast.

The article in the Sentinel also notes how far the port has come in just 65 years. It was originally created for military purposes and is on its way to becoming a full-service facility.

More cruisers, cargo push Port Canaveral to record revenue year
http://bit.ly/2PA4K1g

That last president of PC, Walsh, was really pushing cargo.  Then he insulted some constituents and had to step down.  The new guy I think put the kaibosh on a rail connection for now which is hurting cargo expansion at PC.  The $10M is great.  I think the auto terminal helped with that.  But containers haven't taken off yet...I wish they would expand the container business...

wow.  2008 revenues was $46M and 2018 revenues is over $100M.  

Edited by jrs2
  • Like 1

JFW, I know you have The Right Stuff and were in Brevard back in the day. Are you old enough to remember the Eau Gallie-Melbourne consolidation in '69 or ever hear anyone talk about it? It doesn't seem to fit with the narratives of places like Nashville or Jax at the time, or with the Atlanta-Buckhead or NYC-Brooklyn combos.

I'm doing a paper on municipal mergers and before I go digging into Today's tombs, I'm looking for info.

Thanks for any words of wisdom!

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, jrs2 said:

Has this progressed any since my last photog

Some, but not much. If I get over there this week I'll try to get a photo.

Meanwhile, this may explain some of the delay.

https://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20181117/daytona-beach-hotel-developers-activities-catching-irs-attention-lawsuit-reveals

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Some, but not much. If I get over there this week I'll try to get a photo.

Meanwhile, this may explain some of the delay.

https://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20181117/daytona-beach-hotel-developers-activities-catching-irs-attention-lawsuit-reveals

My bad.  The photo I posted was new; I just couldn’t tell if it had progressed any since probably the prior couple of weeks or so.

On 10/7/2018 at 9:06 PM, jrs2 said:

20181007_170715.jpg

For quick reference

It's finally happening: manned space flights are returning to the Space Coast in 2019.

This is huge not only for the space industry but also Brevard County tourism, both giving significant boosts to the local economy.

It's also something that sets Central Florida apart as there are only a handful of places in the world where humans access space. Before we were known for theme parks, the region was famous for NASA's Mercury, Gemini and Apollo programs.

This time it's not just NASA but a host of private companies including famous entrepreneurs like Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos participating.

Save the date: SpaceX will test its crew spacecraft in a January Space Coast launch
http://bit.ly/2FwZhVe

From the Sentinel

• Like 1

On 11/22/2018 at 1:25 PM, spenser1058 said:

An in-depth on changes and additions coming to Port Canaveral, the world's second largest cruise port:

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/2067707002

From Florida Today

Of interest: the port's getting a harbor crane to handle things like SpaceX boosters. Just one of the things that makes our port unique.

Interesting stuff.  Carnival's new largest which is uc will come here and be based at the new Terminal 3 also uc.  No mention of a rail connection for cargo, though.  Seems off the table for now...

• Like 1

On 11/2/2018 at 8:43 PM, spenser1058 said:

JFW, I know you have The Right Stuff and were in Brevard back in the day. Are you old enough to remember the Eau Gallie-Melbourne consolidation in '69 or ever hear anyone talk about it? It doesn't seem to fit with the narratives of places like Nashville or Jax at the time, or with the Atlanta-Buckhead or NYC-Brooklyn combos.

I'm doing a paper on municipal mergers and before I go digging into Today's tombs, I'm looking for info.

Thanks for any words of wisdom!

Just saw this a minute ago.

I do remember the consolidation of Eau Gallie and Melbourne, but inasmuch as I was only 12 y/o at the time and was more into football, basketball and the girls I went to jr high school with than municipal development issues, I couldn't give you much in the way of insightful commentary on it.

I'm sure you'll do just fine with it nonetheless.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Just saw this a minute ago.

I do remember the consolidation of Eau Gallie and Melbourne, but inasmuch as I was only 12 y/o at the time and was more into football, basketball and the girls I went to jr high school with than municipal development issues, I couldn't give you much in the way of insightful commentary on it.

I'm sure you'll do just fine with it nonetheless.

JFW, junior high heartbreaker of the Space Coast!

• Haha 1

On 11/1/2018 at 11:29 AM, HankStrong said:

I fully credit Jeannie, Tony Nelson, and Roger Healey.

Nah. They only actually filmed one episode of the show there. I think it was the one where Tony and Jeanie finally got married.

I think I recall a beach scene or two that was supposed to be Cocoa Beach and you could see the Southern California mountains in the distance. :shades:

0fef9637bc89512be1eed5dc8aac4b75--barbar

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Or are those the famed Florida Mountains???

In fact, when I was a kid after seeing those I kept bugging my parents to take me to the mountains in Cocoa. They tried to convince me it was only water or palmetto scrubs over there but I wasn’t convinced. Surely NBC would never lie, right?

Edited by spenser1058