Orlando Extended Metro Developments (Volusia/Brevard/East Polk)

jrs2

Spencer1058 said:

In fact, when I was a kid after seeing those I kept bugging my parents to take me to the mountains in Cocoa. They tried to convince me it was only water or palmetto scrubs over there but I wasn’t convinced. Surely NBC would never lie, right?

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wellllll..... there were a few things other than just water and palmettos over there back then.

I believe there was even a paved road or two!!!!

A grocery store as I recall....

Indoor plumbing even!!!! :D

Edited by JFW657
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Taking the long view: The State of Florida and France have agreed to preserve a shipwreck located off Cape Canaveral that sank in 1565 (the year St. Augustine was founded):

https://amp.news4jax.com/news/florida/france-florida-agree-to-preserve-ancient-shipwreck

From WJXT

Just something to remember next time you’re told Central Florida has no history...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Taking the long view: The State of Florida and France have agreed to preserve a shipwreck located off Cape Canaveral that sank in 1565 (the year St. Augustine was founded):

https://amp.news4jax.com/news/florida/france-florida-agree-to-preserve-ancient-shipwreck

From WJXT

Just something to remember next time you’re told Central Florida has no history...

It is funny, though.  To Americans, “ancient” is 1565; to Europeans and the Chinese, it’s a waaaay different standard.  We’re talking Pythagoras, beyotches!

Just now, spenser1058 said:

I went to the Sears in the Sanford mall out of curiosity. The whole first floor of what was once a two floor Sears was vacant, and the second floor had almost nothing in stock, and what little they did have in stock was way overpriced.

• Thanks 1

ABC GMA plugged 50 years of the space industry with ongoing events on the Space Coast in 2019.  After coming through Orlando this holiday season, I saw nothing to suggest anything was planned.

There has been discussion here why Orlando and Brevard do not have better connections (whether it be physical, economic, social) to the port and the space coast.  This sounds like a great opportunity to raise local awareness of all that is planned for 2019 in Brevard.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

ABC GMA plugged 50 years of the space industry with ongoing events on the Space Coast in 2019.  After coming through Orlando this holiday season, I saw nothing to suggest anything was planned.

There has been discussion here why Orlando and Brevard do not have better connections (whether it be physical, economic, social) to the port and the space coast.  This sounds like a great opportunity to raise local awareness of all that is planned for 2019 in Brevard.

Brevard native JFW is on it!

• 3 weeks later...

I knew that Del Webb was planning to do retirement communities in the area and one is already up and running in Davenport, which is in Polk County.

Imagine my surprise to see two new locations that popped up:

(1) Between WG and WDW;

(2) In St. Cloud (Osceola County).

Of course, I’m not sure how large these might be. If we’re talking something on the scale of The Villages, it would of course change demographics and voting patterns in both Orange and Osceola counties.

Both counties currently have relatively young populations and vote a deep shade of blue.

Contrast that with Lake County with its older than average and heavily Republican voting presence.

Stay tuned...

https://www.delwebb.com/homes/florida/the-orlando-area?cmp=OLA_DelWebb_DIV_The-Orlando-Area_North-Florida_ONGOING

On 1/30/2019 at 11:38 AM, spenser1058 said:

Of course, I’m not sure how large these might be. If we’re talking something on the scale of The Villages, it would of course change demographics and voting patterns in both Orange and Osceola counties.

I've heard the Villages (proper) is running out of land... I'd expect the retirement communities to move south... going more north is too far from the airport.

Edit; Upon googling, turns out the villages managed to get another 1127 acres from Leesberg

Edited by aent
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1