Orlando Extended Metro Developments (Volusia/Brevard/East Polk)

jrs2

33 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

They lost the biggest and best race date of the year. Think. Lol

Yes, July 4 has pretty much been considered the biggest date on the NASCAR calendar except the February 500.

I thought it was interesting in terms of Daytona tourism that the two pillars of the industry have shown significant slippage lately.

But one more tall tower of concrete on the beachfront and a couple on the river taking out park space downtown will solve all the problems just like they have for the last 30 years!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HankStrong said:

They lost a race.

They gained a different race on a less favorable date and lower attendance expectations.

Been going to a race at Daytona every year since 1992, and I can tell you this- making this race the last race of the regular season, while i'm sad it won't be on July 4th weekend anymore, just helped the attendance numbers IMMENSELY. That race absolutely never sells out, and while it likely won't still, it's got a much better chance of doing so and will put thousands of more butts in seats. Absolutely no doubt about that.

• Like 1

I wonder if the passing of the torch to the France kids, especially Brian, has signaled the end of an era in Daytona history. It took a while but it appears a lack of vision (not to mention Brian’s personal problems) created a vacuum that no one else in Daytona has filled.

In Orlando, where we have a strong-mayor system, we’ve been remarkably successful in generating new leaders as required. 

Daytona doesn’t have that (a weak Volusia County Council hasn’t helped,either), in part because the France family (along with others like the Browns) enjoyed being the rulers of the roost. 

Today, not much of anyone is in charge and it shows.

2 minutes ago, Xander said:

Been going to a race at Daytona every year since 1992, and I can tell you this- making this race the last race of the regular season, while i'm sad it won't be on July 4th weekend anymore, just helped the attendance numbers IMMENSELY. That race absolutely never sells out, and while it likely won't still, it's got a much better chance of doing so and will put thousands of more butts in seats. Absolutely no doubt about that.

If that were the case, why did they never seek to move to the end of the season diring the salad days? I hope you’re right but it looks like a move made from weakness, not from strength.

8 minutes ago, Xander said:

I have to wonder if having it in August when the heat and humidity is even worse and more intense than on July 4th, along with people getting ready to send their kids back to school will result in the increased attendance you're predicting.

Not to mention the increased possibility for tropical storms and hurricanes around that time of year.

Guess we'll see one way or the other.

8 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

I wonder if the passing of the torch to the France kids, especially Brian, has signaled the end of an era in Daytona history. It took a while but it appears a lack of vision (not to mention Brian’s personal problems) created a vacuum that no one else in Daytona has filled.

In Orlando, where we have a strong-mayor system, we’ve been remarkably successful in generating new leaders as required. 

Daytona doesn’t have that (a weak Volusia County Council hasn’t helped,either), in part because the France family (along with others like the Browns) enjoyed being the rulers of the roost. 

Today, not much of anyone is in charge and it shows.

If that were the case, why did they never seek to move to the end of the season diring the salad days? I hope you’re right but it looks like a move made from weakness, not from strength.

Because there was never a playoff system in racing back in the day. Trust me- i'm not a fan of NASCAR changing everything under the sun as they frequently do, but I really think it makes sense. Daytona is the flagship track for the sport. It's a win-win for them; they will get more people to the track for the second race date, the race itself will hold a lot more importance, and it'll make national headlines for a lot more reasons than just being on July 4th weekend, which I think is really smart. I never liked the fact that the July race hasn't ever mattered as much as the Daytona 500 because of the significance of what that place IS to the sport. Now, it's a LOT more important. 

I think it works.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I have to wonder if having it in August when the heat and humidity is even worse and more intense than on July 4th, along with people getting ready to send their kids back to school will result in the increased attendance you're predicting.

Not to mention the increased possibility for tropical storms and hurricanes around that time of year.

Guess we'll see one way or the other.

Anybody that would choose to not go to Daytona for the July race is likely not going to go to an August race to begin with, haha. It's oppressively hot during both times of the year. However, more people will go because of the significance the race has on the championship now.  The weather is not any less rainy in August than it is in July, and the peak of hurricane season is closer to the date they moved it to, which is a bit of a gamble, but it's one we live with here in FL.

Edited by Xander
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JFW657 said:

They lost the biggest and best race date of the year. Think. Lol

I don't follow NASCAR, but in the articles quoted both the NASCAR family and the tourist leaders seem quite pleased with this outcome. NASCAR gets a much better and more significant race and tourism gets another event weekend added to the calendar.  It had always seemed odd to hold that event in a beach town that is going to sell out for the holiday. It would be like holding Pride week during spring break or Christmas- times when the parks are already full.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AmIReal said:

I don't follow NASCAR, but in the articles quoted both the NASCAR family and the tourist leaders seem quite pleased with this outcome. NASCAR gets a much better and more significant race and tourism gets another event weekend added to the calendar.  It had always seemed odd to hold that event in a beach town that is going to sell out for the holiday. It would be like holding Pride week during spring break or Christmas- times when the parks are already full.

So, who is this "NASCAR family" of which you speak?

These folks maybe?

nascarfamily.jpg

They look like wonderful folks! 

Sorry, I tried to resist. I really did!! :unsure:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

So, who is this "NASCAR family" of which you speak?

Yes, J&J and their offspring (seen above) are sweet folks, but they have  no controlling interest in the enterprise. I apologize for not be more clear for the less informed. I assumed everyone was familiar with the "NASCAR family"... the real decision makers (seen below) . In the future, I'll be more specific (which you all will rue).

Nascar family.jpg

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Yes, J&J and their offspring (seen above) are sweet folks, but they have  no controlling interest in the enterprise. I apologize for not be more clear for the less informed. I assumed everyone was familiar with the "NASCAR family"... the real decision makers (seen below) . In the future, I'll be more specific (which you all will rue).

I know who Bill France & family are.

I was just kidding around.

41 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Did you watch the video report I linked?

saw it.  wow.  that's pretty big.  that would have to be the first of many projects.  now, they already have built a couple of projects there over the past 10-15 years.  Now Brown & Brown is building their thing.  And if this gets built, that would be a great follow up.  And if they include a grocer as well, then, wow.

80% chance of launch tonight at the Cape of Elon Musk’s Falcon Heavy and its first commercial payload.

All that talent folks like Mr. Musk and Jeff Bezos supposedly can’t find in Central Florida will be hard it work to make it a go at the world’s busiest launch point.

The launch window is from 6:35-8:32pm.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/space/os-bz-falcon-heavy-launch-wednesday-20190410-story.html

From the Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058

32 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Comings and goings at One Daytona

I'm shocked Hy's Toggery stores still exist at all. I thought it was seriously outdated in the Gov Square Mall in Tallahassee and the old Panama City Mall... and that was nearly 40 years ago.