Orlando Extended Metro Developments (Volusia/Brevard/East Polk)

jrs2

First Turnbull Creek land buy to take place next week for NSB preservation:

https://www.hometownnewsvolusia.com/news/new-smyrna-beach-readies-for-land-buy/article_59b9a634-c2a0-11e9-8214-3b630f3b5b6d.html

From Hometown News Volusia 

Leaks, mildew and bugs at Merritt Square Mall: is it long for this world?

https://amp.floridatoday.com/amp/207487500

From Florida Today (paywall)

The beachside may be a mess but the ocean itself off Volusia and Flagler Counties is in pretty good shape relative to other beaches around the country. Kudos for keeping it clean!

https://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20190824/thousands-of-beach-closures-in-us-but-few-in-volusia-flagler

From the News-Journal 

I know that the City of Daytona Palmetto Scrubs is trying hard to cut itself off from the beachside, but so far as I know tourism still pays the bills for a large chunk of the town’s residents.

In light of Dorian, the notion of moving DIS’ summer race to the end of August as the NASCAR regular season finale is problematic:

(1) The period around Labor Day is one of the most active for the Atlantic hurricane season, certainly more so than July 4;

(2) Unlike the good ol’ days. many school systems across the country now start school in mid- to late August instead of after Labor Day.

These two things are likely to reduce occupancy for the summer race.

Consolidated-Tomoka probably doesn’t much care and the France family has been out of touch for years, but someone needs to consider how this will affect more than a bit of the local livelihood starting in 2020.

https://www.frontstretch.com/2019/09/04/2-headed-monster-does-daytona-make-sense-as-the-regular-season-finale/

From Frontstretch

41 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

I know that the City of Daytona Palmetto Scrubs is trying hard to cut itself off from the beachside, but so far as I know tourism still pays the bills for a large chunk of the town’s residents.

In light of Dorian, the notion of moving DIS’ summer race to the end of August as the NASCAR regular season finale is problematic:

(1) The period around Labor Day is one of the most active for the Atlantic hurricane season, certainly more so than July 4;

(2) Unlike the good ol’ days. many school systems across the country now start school in mid- to late August instead of after Labor Day.

These two things are likely to reduce occupancy for the summer race.

Consolidated-Tomoka probably doesn’t much care and the France family has been out of touch for years, but someone needs to consider how this will affect more than a bit of the local livelihood starting in 2020.

https://www.frontstretch.com/2019/09/04/2-headed-monster-does-daytona-make-sense-as-the-regular-season-finale/

From Frontstretch

The new Marriott at One Daytona has a very cool bar on its lobby level.  It abuts the balcony and the glass walls are retractable...not that you would want that humidity coming in...but...people do dig on outdoor atmosphere and all.

• Like 1

Hurricane effects on the Volusia and Flagler economies:

https://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20190907/dorian-takes-multi-million-dollar-bite-out-of-tourism-in-volusia-and-flagler?template=ampart

So, of course, it makes perfect sense to move the speedway’s summer race to Labor Day weekend, historically near the peak of Florida’s hurricane season. Who needs the peninsula? We’re the Daytona Palmetto Scrubs now!

https://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20190907/dorian-takes-multi-million-dollar-bite-out-of-tourism-in-volusia-and-flagler?template=ampart

From the News-Journal 

Is this a paradox or an oxymoron?

Volusia cities, county leaders discuss ‘Smart Growth’ today

https://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20190909/volusia-cities-county-leaders-discuss-smart-growth-today

If we assume county leaders is actually a metaphor for developers, then "county leaders" and "smart growth" could be viewed as mixed metaphors since combining the two leads to a ridiculous outcome.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Cocina 214 closed it's doors in August on the beach.  It was replaced by Crabby's.  I was there yesterday and Crabby's was packed.

4Rivers will replace Oklahoma Joe's by November at One Daytona.

The break between Cocina 214 and the developer seemed pretty amicable. It was my understanding they were able to just walk away. That's unusual and is an indicator of how badly Tomoka are wanting to make this work.

4R for OK Joe may seem like a swap of equals, but I gotta assume the locals in Daytona know/ possibly like 4R and therefore may support it. Daytona, much like Orlando, has very poor choices in BBQ (not that 4R ups the game much)

How is the One Daytona space doing? I know they've had early turnover, but that is normal. Are they getting good crowds?

17 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

The break between Cocina 214 and the developer seemed pretty amicable. It was my understanding they were able to just walk away. That's unusual and is an indicator of how badly Tomoka are wanting to make this work.

4R for OK Joe may seem like a swap of equals, but I gotta assume the locals in Daytona know/ possibly like 4R and therefore may support it. Daytona, much like Orlando, has very poor choices in BBQ (not that 4R ups the game much)

How is the One Daytona space doing? I know they've had early turnover, but that is normal. Are they getting good crowds?

Bass Pro is always busy.  the cinema is always super busy.  PF Chang's is always busy.  Jeremiah's Ice is always busy.  GameTime gets crowds; MidiCi has crowds; the Burger place too; Rock Bottom may not be doing so hot; Miami Grille seems to be getting some crowds- it's the newest spot; Guitar Center has business.  The Marriott opened up about a month and a half ago; they say the bar is packed on Fridays and Saturdays.

4R should bring big crowds; Apparently lots of Daytonans drive to Longwood for their BBQ, so there is a demand.

They are also building out a 3 story apartment complex near the cinema, and a second 4-story apartment building next to the parking deck.  That should bring a total of 300-400 residential units on site.

7 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Bass Pro is always busy.  the cinema is always super busy.  PF Chang's is always busy.  Jeremiah's Ice is always busy.  GameTime gets crowds; MidiCi has crowds; the Burger place too; Rock Bottom may not be doing so hot; Miami Grille seems to be getting some crowds- it's the newest spot; Guitar Center has business.  The Marriott opened up about a month and a half ago; they say the bar is packed on Fridays and Saturdays.

4R should bring big crowds; Apparently lots of Daytonans drive to Longwood for their BBQ, so there is a demand.

They are also building out a 3 story apartment complex near the cinema, and a second 4-story apartment building next to the parking deck.  That should bring a total of 300-400 residential units on site.

Hmmmm, if they’re driving to Longwood for their ‘cue, I wonder if that’s enough to convince the Census Bureau to add Volusia to our MSA!?! That would get us within shouting distance of the Top 20 by next year (and we’ll wave as we blow by Charlotte once and for all :-).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HankStrong said:

Really? I'm not crowning 4R the king of BBQ because they aren't, but they are so much better than anyone else in this region.

Put them in a real BBQ town and they don't fare as well, but here?  They are excellent.

Yeah, I think that was my point. The bar just seems set fairly low since they are considered the best. My knock is less on the quality of the meat (it is passable), but their sauces are not very good and their sides- which I know plenty of people like- are terrible.

40 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Yeah, I think that was my point. The bar just seems set fairly low since they are considered the best. My knock is less on the quality of the meat (it is passable), but their sauces are not very good and their sides- which I know plenty of people like- are terrible.

It really depends on what side you get.  Some of them are dead bang on, and others fall flat.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HankStrong said:

Really? I'm not crowning 4R the king of BBQ because they aren't, but they are so much better than anyone else in this region.

Put them in a real BBQ town and they don't fare as well, but here?  They are excellent.

yeah...I try to stick to vegetarian diet myself, so, I'm not a good judge.  my main thing is the location driving demand and bringing in crowds which benefits the entire complex.

19 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Oddly, I think their sauces are a strong point.

But I agree on the sides with you and Codypet.  Some are great, some are bad.

Look out Wawa (and 7 Eleven) Buc-ee's convenience stores are coming to Central Florida....

bucees.jpg

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2019/09/10/delayed-central-florida-buc-ees-finallyreveals.html

Apparently, Buc-ee's is sort of the Walmart Super Center equivalent of gas station convenience stores.

First one going up in Volusia County, then I expect, greater Orlando.

Planning on bringing 200 jobs to the area.

And a ton of high cholesterol...

920x920.jpg

AR-304299999.jpg

0319-bucees-food-2-600x0-c-default.jpg

katyday.jpg

https://www.buc-ees.com/index.php

• Like 2

Apparently, if there’s anything to the kerfuffle over their entry into Alabama, they’re quite the low-price leader on gas. It would have to be Top Tier, though and I’m guessing they won’t be close to downtown given the size.

Oh well, I’ll just keep dreaming the Shell at 50 and Hyer is resurrected from the dead.

Edited by spenser1058

2 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Apparently, if there’s anything to the kerfuffle over their entry into Alabama, they’re quite the low-price leader on gas. It would have to be Top Tier, though and I’m guessing they won’t be close to downtown given the size.

Oh well, I’ll just keep dreaming the Shell at 50 and Hyer is resurrected from the dead.

I think saw them referred to somewhere as a "travel center", so I'm guessing they tend to locate right off of interstate highways.

I suppose that would probably mean around Sanford, Lake Mary, down towards I-Drive, Disney etc.

• Thanks 1