Orlando Extended Metro Developments (Volusia/Brevard/East Polk)

jrs2

The end of an era? Another of Florida’s juice processing plants is closing, leaving the state with 7 compared with 30 two decades ago.

While our MSA counties long ago mostly left citrus behind, it still has an impact on parts of Polk. If these trends continue, we will see groves increasingly replaced with subdivisions. That, of course, will lead to more growth challenges along the I4 corridor.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-bz-orange-juice-squeeze-20190910-peaghi3ay5ebhml6o4mftanofa-story.html

From the Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058

Meanwhile, a new start-up industry in Central Florida: farmed oysters. Here’s a look at one company at Mosquito Lagoon:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/food-restaurants/os-et-oysters-farmed-florida-20190916-l3tylj5hsvbojgtthh4psmcmnu-story.html?outputType=amp

From the Sentinel 

*passes the cocktail sauce and horseradish to JFW*

Edited by spenser1058

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

*passes the cocktail sauce and horseradish to JFW*

Get with is Spenser. No more horseradish or cocktail sauce allowed. And you'll be sneered at by a heavily tatted and bearded server if you dare to ask for a cracker. No sir, these by-valve beauties get champagne vinegar mignonette or celery juice and lime, maybe a little essence of dashi foam. Keep you pinkie extended while slurping.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Of peaches and pigs...

Local business man sells Peach Valley Café to other local business couple who plan to expand Volusia location in Daytona and add NSB. They are also adding to their locations of Colt's Pig Stand.

https://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20190924/peach-valley-cafes-sold-could-expand-to-margaritaville

• Like 1

I missed this one until today but here’s the most recent update I could find on the proposed Hyatt Place where the old beachside Winn-Dixie was:

https://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20171115/new-smyrna-gives-push-to-hyatt-hotel-in-former-outback-shopping-plaza?template=ampart

According to Hometown News Volusia this week, it’s still a go.

17 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I missed this one until today but here’s the most recent update I could find on the proposed Hyatt Place where the old beachside Winn-Dixie was:

https://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20171115/new-smyrna-gives-push-to-hyatt-hotel-in-former-outback-shopping-plaza?template=ampart

According to Hometown News Volusia this week, it’s still a go.

Wasn't that an Albertson's?

6 minutes ago, codypet said:

Ah perhaps that one moved to the Wallace and 44 location then?  That one is still open.  Its days are probably numbered though as Publix across the street just tore down and rebuilt their location.

The beachside Winn-Dixie was I think the replacement for the old Julia St store downtown. That came after the first Publix in town at the beach.

Later on, growth started out on 44 and both Publix and Winn-Dixie had two locations in town for a while.

When I was a kid, the mainland strip for grocery stores was US1 South almost to Edgewater. There was an A&P and a Food Fair (Yankee chains, as my parents called them :-).

Back then, the only grocery store on the beachside was Hathaway’s Red & White On Flagler (I was probably 12 or 13 before the Publix opened).

Today, JFW will be thrilled to know there’s a Dollar General Market on S. Atlantic down past the 27th Street beach access.

To complete our NSB grocery journey, there was also a Food Lion on the west end of the North Causeway at one point.

(There was also a Kmart on 44 and there’s a Walmart out there. Sadly, NSB is still Targetless which seems odd to me given the demographics.)

5 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

The beachside Winn-Dixie was I think the replacement for the old Julia St store downtown. That came after the first Publix in town at the beach.

Later on, growth started out on 44 and both Publix and Winn-Dixie had two locations in town for a while.

When I was a kid, the mainland strip for grocery stores was US1 South almost to Edgewater. There was an A&P and a Food Fair (Yankee chains, as my parents called them :-).

Back then, the only grocery store on the beachside was Hathaway’s Red & White On Flagler (I was probably 12 or 13 before the Publix opened).

Today, JFW will be thrilled to know there’s a Dollar General Market on S. Atlantic down past the 27th Street beach access.

To complete our NSB grocery journey, there was also a Food Lion on the west end of the North Causeway at one point.

(There was also a Kmart on 44 and there’s a Walmart out there. Sadly, NSB is still Targetless which seems odd to me given the demographics.)

The Kmart is so bizarre to me now.  Wal-mart moved all the way out to I-95 which I understand what they were doing there.  But Seritage or whatever holding group has the land for that Kmart leased the whole parking lot to Wawa so that the building behind it has no parking anymore.  I don't know why they ended up doing that.  They basically leased part of the land and effectively made the rest of the land useless.

image.thumb.png.60270a763cb8177e157598be40ae0a5e.png

Daytona’s latest example of relocating sprawl from one road (US 92) to another (LPGA Blvd) is a Rooms To Go.

Perhaps more fruitful (especially for those pining for a return of condos) is that construction of MAX Daytona has begun on the border between Daytona Beach and DB Shores:

https://www.hometownnewsvolusia.com/business/volusia-business-news-economy-is-letting-the-days-go-by/article_c3738ec2-de21-11e9-95a6-8b8608b2c36f.html

From Hometown News Volusia 

Also a new Checkers in DeLand (because every neighborhood is dying for a Checkers!)

Edited by spenser1058

Should Port Canaveral emphasize space operations over cargo and cruise line activities? FL House Rep. Thad Altman wants to consider it. 

Port management is more sanguine:

https://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/09/21/altman-proposes-charter-change-port-canaveral-help-space-industry/2371949001/

From Florida Today 

On 9/29/2019 at 1:25 PM, spenser1058 said:

Should Port Canaveral emphasize space operations over cargo and cruise line activities? FL House Rep. Thad Altman wants to consider it. 

Port management is more sanguine:

https://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/09/21/altman-proposes-charter-change-port-canaveral-help-space-industry/2371949001/

From Florida Today 

no.  They need to cut a deal with a major cargo company and get that container shipping business rolling.   They got a decent deal with the automobiles...but the containers is big business...they gotta get that going and to do it, they need that rail line...

On 9/29/2019 at 11:16 AM, spenser1058 said:

Daytona’s latest example of relocating sprawl from one road (US 92) to another (LPGA Blvd) is a Rooms To Go.

Perhaps more fruitful (especially for those pining for a return of condos) is that construction of MAX Daytona has begun on the border between Daytona Beach and DB Shores:

https://www.hometownnewsvolusia.com/business/volusia-business-news-economy-is-letting-the-days-go-by/article_c3738ec2-de21-11e9-95a6-8b8608b2c36f.html

Also a new Checkers in DeLand (because every neighborhood is dying for a Checkers!)

Hmmm.  Is the one on 17-92 moving?  wow.  I bet you they're moving.

Max Daytona- well, hmmm.  I see their billboards.  Too bad marina Grande in HH isn't maxed out (no pun) with residents so that they can build the next two towers...

Edited by jrs2
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, jrs2 said:

no.  They need to cut a deal with a major cargo company and get that container shipping business rolling.   They got a decent deal with the automobiles...but the containers is big business...they gotta get that going and to do it, they need that rail line...

Hmmm.  Is the one on 17-92 moving?  wow.  I bet you they're moving.

Max Daytona- well, hmmm.  I see their billboards.  Too bad marina Grande in HH isn't maxed out (no pun) with residents so that they can build the next two towers...

They do need rail.  Cargo & people!

We call them Rally's.

Edited by HankStrong
  • Haha 2

On 9/29/2019 at 11:16 AM, spenser1058 said:

I'm not sure about moving all of the retailers off of US 92..  So far, Here's what's moved:

Burlington Coat

Barnes & Noble

TJ Maxx

Tuesday Morning

Ross

Hobby Lobby

Sams Club (from Beville)

Aside from leasing new locations, etc., is there an end game for US 92 other than that story about some retail being converted to office/ classroom space?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

I'm not sure about moving all of the retailers off of US 92..  So far, Here's what's moved:

Burlington Coat

Barnes & Noble

TJ Maxx

Tuesday Morning

Ross

Hobby Lobby

Sams Club (from Beville)

Aside from leasing new locations, etc., is there an end game for US 92 other than that story about some retail being converted to office/ classroom space?

Once everyone leaves and it’s dead as doornails they can add a drag strip to One Daytona on ISB!

The winner can stop at Krispy Kreme and collect their winnings in donuts.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Once everyone leaves and it’s dead as doornails they can add a drag strip to One Daytona on ISB!

The winner can stop at Krispy Kreme and collect their winnings in donuts.

...like an IHRA track like in Hogtown..

I wonder if ISC is telling CT to take those stores so that they can expand One Daytona and make it larger with more retail in the future.

That HD plaza is almost totally dead; it's HD and Dollar Tree and Buffalo Wild Wings and maybe one other place.  I saw Star Trek IV at the theatre that was there back in the day...

13 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

...like an IHRA track like in Hogtown..

I wonder if ISC is telling CT to take those stores so that they can expand One Daytona and make it larger with more retail in the future.

That HD plaza is almost totally dead; it's HD and Dollar Tree and Buffalo Wild Wings and maybe one other place.  I saw Star Trek IV at the theatre that was there back in the day...

I saw Star Trek II at the old Belleair Cinema!

I also went to Gatornationals with my brother once...

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

I saw Star Trek II at the old Belleair Cinema!

I also went to Gatornationals with my brother once...

so...while you were watching STII at the Bellaire Cinema, I was playing Tempest in it's lobby, and Popeye and Star Wars Arcade across the way at the Magic Shop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Daytona may wish the beachside would go away but Daytona Beach Shores (a separate city) is working to upgrade their piece of the peninsula:

https://www.hometownnewsvolusia.com/news/daytona-beach-shores-blossoming/article_f8f0126c-e3aa-11e9-9dc9-875c731704bb.html

Halifax Health is building an ER there; 2 stories.

Funny, in Ormond Beach, the hospital on A1A was taken over by Advent and they wanted a variance to rebuild it taller and the City nixed it.  Then, Advent bulldozed the site.  I bet you Halifax Health really wanted that ER on A1A especially to prevent Advent further flooding the market.  HH is also building the hospital off of I-4 in Orange City.  The ER is open but the hospital building is getting done little by little.

• Like 1