Orlando Extended Metro Developments (Volusia/Brevard/East Polk)

jrs2

There they go again - a response to  Volusia County’s ongoing efforts to cede the beach to the billionaires. It’s interesting that St. John’s County of all places, traditionally more conservative and whose tourism industry wasn’t sold to the public on the basis of beachfront access like Daytona’s has, is much more understanding of the concept.

https://www.news-journalonline.com/opinion/20191013/paul-zimmerman-volusia-county-beach-driving-advocates-are-right-to-be-suspicious

From the News-Journal 

Edited by spenser1058

In a surprise move Consolidated-Tomoka sold 2/3 control of their raw land holdings (5300 acres) in Volusia to an institutional buyer (Magnetar- sounds like an 80s video game). 

I think this quote from Magnetar very nicely lays out their approach... “We believe long-term results are predicated on developing repeatable investment approaches, powered by robust processes and infrastructure."... yeah, their gonna be tremendous stewards of the land,

https://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20191017/in-97m-deal-consolidated-sells-control-of-daytona-land-holdings

Meanwhile, "Get your motor runnin'"

https://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20191017/main-street-packs-em-in-on-1st-day-of-daytona-biketoberfest

A chilling look at just how incestuous the powers that run Daytona are. We’ve known this, of course and chronicled how it has led to disastrous leadership in the city over the last several decades.

Now, however, we don’t just have to guess. Instead an actual look behind the curtain. What’s even scarier is how we’ve seen folks in Orlando recently trying to do much the same thing.

https://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20191019/word-on-street--nascars-acquisition-came-after-chairman-of-insurance-giant-successfully-persuaded-france-family

From the News-Journal 

13 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

A chilling look at just how incestuous the powers that run Daytona are. We’ve known this, of course and chronicled how it has led to disastrous leadership in the city over the last several decades.

Now, however, we don’t just have to guess. Instead an actual look behind the curtain. What’s even scarier is how we’ve seen folks in Orlando recently trying to do much the same thing.

https://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20191019/word-on-street--nascars-acquisition-came-after-chairman-of-insurance-giant-successfully-persuaded-france-family

From the News-Journal 

I don't see how that is "chilling" or even where the impropriety is. Maybe you can explain it to me...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

For anyone that enjoys sterile, corporate groupthink, I imagine it’s ideal. It tends to suck the soul out of cities, however, just as it’s done in Daytona for three decades. Of course, to each their own.

I appreciate your thought provoking and well reasoned perspectives on corporate acquisitions, I guess I never would have thought of it that way. I assume all the business transactions you've been part of have been handled differently. From my perspective, company A wanted (had) to sell and company B wanted to buy. B made offer, A made counter, negotiations ensued, a deal was struck and money changed hands. In the end, one group of private investors with no government funding acquired the assets from another group of private, non-government funded investors. I guess it is "sterile" since not one of the investors from either side bothered to protest it. In the money-tainted, corporate groupthink world that is often called a "win/win"

19 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

What’s even scarier is how we’ve seen folks in Orlando recently trying to do much the same thing.

What, where? I must have missed that one also...

• Like 1

Possible 1 million sf Amazon distribution center coming to Deltona:

https://www.hometownnewsvolusia.com/news/commission-approves-rezoning-for-distribution-center/article_c1acd8e0-eeb7-11e9-9f9e-9b40e351721f.html

From Hometown News Volusia 

If it happens, it will be a big step in Volusia’s largest city finally being something other than a huge subdivision. They should put Gertrude Stein’s photo on the street signs: it’s the ultimate example of, “There’s no there there”.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Possible 1 million sf Amazon distribution center coming to Deltona:

https://www.hometownnewsvolusia.com/news/commission-approves-rezoning-for-distribution-center/article_c1acd8e0-eeb7-11e9-9f9e-9b40e351721f.html

From Hometown News Volusia 

If it happens, it will be a big step in Volusia’s largest city finally being something other than a huge subdivision. They should put Gertrude Stein’s photo on the street signs: it’s the ultimate example of, “There’s no there there”.

great for Deltona, bad for retail as a whole throughout the US...as Amazon grows...

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

great for Deltona, bad for retail as a whole throughout the US...as Amazon grows...

I’ll go by my own experience. I was at one point a total Jeff Bezos addict. I got started because of Kindle and even ended up with a Fire Phone at one point. I still subscribe to the Washington Post.

Other than that, I’ve detoxed from Amazon. Packaged goods from Target are often priced lower (their private labels are better), fresh and frozen items come from the Publix I walk to, the Nordstrom and LL Bean websites are better curated for clothes and my bike store is in College Park.

The media gets a hold of a meme and declares its latest trend unstoppable but retailers who recognize this is the 21st century will be fine. 

Amazon is not quite the juggernaut advertised (the prices have also increased once Wall St decided they really should make a profit). If Elizabeth Warren gets elected and makes them split AWS, they’ll be even less of a threat.

Finally, even though I have a Prime Visa that would get me discounts, Whole Foods really hasn’t impressed me. I think Hank’s friends at Kroger are doing a better job with Lucky’s.

The article in The Atlantic that noted the darlings of Silicon Valley who thought profits were just a diversion are having a bit of a rude awakening.

Amazon will be fine, just not the only game in town. Remember, they once said the same of A&P, Sears and Kmart. To his credit, Bezos acknowledges that all the time.

Treasure hunt stores (Marshall’s, TJ Maxx ) and dollar stores that don’t directly compete with Amazon are totally different animals that I really don’t much like so I’ll leave discussion of those to JFW. They are the up and comers of retail right now even if I fail to understand the attraction.

I get that some consumers may not have a choice but I’ve always lived by the motto of Stanley Marcus (the Neiman guy) that you should buy the best you can afford. Don’t buy a cheap mink, buy the best rabbit It’s how my parents raised me as well even if they never set foot in a Neiman-Marcus.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Thanks 1

Once famous Cocoa Beach restaurant Bernard’s Surf has been demolished and will be replaced by shops in repurposed shipping containers:

https://www.floridatoday.com/story/money/business/2019/10/16/cocoa-beach-new-shops-built-shipping-containers/3919238002/

From Florida Today

Majors Nelson and Healy would no doubt miss the Surf but this might be just the thing for a declining area of Atlantic Ave.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, orange87 said:

Good line here... "“This is conceptual,” DeBary Economic Development and TOD Director Roger Van Auker said, adding the figures may change. “This is not what it will be, but what it could be.”

Also the graphic notes that "some are still hopeful that (sunrail) will extend northward"... I think those hopes have been dashed on the rocks of Volusia County Gov't.

15 minutes ago, orange87 said:

image.thumb.png.79286d8f0114670258d14cbc06c44352.png

image.thumb.png.b9366b76a68117554fa19b15dcec94ed.png

image.thumb.png.b785b6ed3d319fefa664bee062553bb7.png

Construction has been under way for the last several months on a $100 million expansion on the AdventHealth Fish Memorial Hospital in Orange City. It's expected to be completed in late 2020.

https://www.yourpatienttower.com

I thought you would be taller... I mean it would be...

Anyway, sure beats the heck out of the old Fish.

On 10/31/2019 at 8:59 AM, AmIReal said:

Good line here... "“This is conceptual,” DeBary Economic Development and TOD Director Roger Van Auker said, adding the figures may change. “This is not what it will be, but what it could be.”

Also the graphic notes that "some are still hopeful that (sunrail) will extend northward"... I think those hopes have been dashed on the rocks of Volusia County Gov't.

I like the comments, all along the lines of "Take your unnecessary housing plans and your greedy profit motive and go somewhere else!!!"

On 11/5/2019 at 5:26 PM, AmIReal said:

I thought you would be taller... I mean it would be...

Anyway, sure beats the heck out of the old Fish.

Though in a kind of slick, shiny and new, but bland, generic and meh... kind of way. 

3 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I like the comments, all along the lines of "Take your unnecessary housing plans and your greedy profit motive and go somewhere else!!!"

Though in a kind of slick, shiny and new, but bland, generic and meh... kind of way. 

The problem is that DeBary's roads weren't meant for this kind of population growth. The traffic in DeBary is already getting pretty bad. If I remember correctly, over 7,000 new homes are scheduled to built in the city within the next couple years. DeBary's population could nearly double when all is said and done since the 2010 census. DeBary used to have the lowest mill rate in Volusia County ($2.63) and they recently voted to raise it 42% to $3.50. They did this to pay for an overhaul of their road infrastructure.