Orlando Extended Metro Developments (Volusia/Brevard/East Polk)

jrs2

Where is the largest collection of Frank Lloyd Wright architecture in one spot? Lakeland!

https://twitter.com/historycenterfl/status/1213433809800245249?s=21

As the tweet also notes, that led to spinoffs by prominent Wright disciples up the road in Orlando (think of the Orlando Public Library).

Road trip! Also, while you’re in Imperial Polk County (yep, that’s the legal name), detour south on US 27 to Bok Tower in Lake Wales. It’s hard to imagine fusing deco and gothic together, but it was done and it’s one of Florida’s most beautiful structures.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bok tower gardens

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

If I had to guess, I think the Deltona folks are likely to have switched toTarget/Walmart (Target is definitely upping its game by selling things like Levi’s that were previously not sold there.

The upwardly mobile folks are more likely to go to Altamonte or even down to Millenia.

Macy’s, which originally seemed to be escaping the Sears/JCP mall curse, has been backsliding along with Kohl’s as Le Tarjay has gotten its mojo back.

Meanwhile, I wonder if Macy’s at OFS is enjoying cheap rent and/or they’re picking up quick trips for cosmetics and stuff from the BP/AP crowd.

Edited by spenser1058

40 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Throwback Wednesday (especially for @JFW657 and @Dale:

Cocoa Beach’s Ill-fated Glass Bank:

https://youtu.be/GKNS-tb_koU

Notice how he pronounces Ramon’s (definitely not a native)...

Yeah, that building is one of the iconic images of my youth.

And the guy definitely did not grow up in Central Florida if he pronounces Ramon's like the name of this guy....

91a7Y54896L._SY445_.jpg

Rather than like the name of these guys....

Ramones_-_Ramones_cover.jpg

Someone should tell him, though I doubt he'd go back and overdub it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, JFW657 said:

The guy also didn't mention the cat that was living in the building and had to be rescued before the demolition.

Oh my. The other question I had is whether people who lived there ever mentioned “Orlando Avenue”. Whenever we were over there, I never heard anyone refer to the street name. It was just “520”.

OK I’m getting myself confused. I was thinking it was right there on the south corner of 520 just west of A1A. There was some kind of restaurant there and I was thinking that was Ramon’s.

So, Orlando Ave is that weird split thing A1A does.

I haven’t done Brevard in years - we had a condo in NSB so mostly went there. My dad worked in Brevard though so I used to ride with him sometimes. While on abandoned buildings, there was an old Food Fair/Pantry Pride up toward Cape Canaveral that just got left after the post-Apollo layoffs that just seemed creepy to me.

Some of the office buildings in that era were funky too, like out of an episode of Star Trek when they went to the planet where Captain Kirk’s brother Sam lived.

Not to mention all the mountains in Cocoa Beach we saw in the background of I Dream of Jeannie...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

OK I’m getting myself confused. I was thinking it was right there on the south corner of 520 just west of A1A. There was some kind of restaurant there and I was thinking that was Ramon’s.

So, Orlando Ave is that weird split thing A1A does.

I haven’t done Brevard in years - we had a condo in NSB so mostly went there. My dad worked in Brevard though so I used to ride with him sometimes. While on abandoned buildings, there was an old Food Fair/Pantry Pride up toward Cape Canaveral that just got left after the post-Apollo layoffs that just seemed creepy to me.

Some of the office buildings in that era were funky too, like out of an episode of Star Trek when they went to the planet where Captain Kirk’s brother Sam lived.

Not to mention all the mountains in Cocoa Beach we saw in the background of I Dream of Jeannie...

There was a movie theater right behind the glass bank that had originally been The Cocoa Beach Theater, but in the late 70's it became The Cocoa Beach Theater and Drafthouse. Used to go there a lot. The theater was next door to Brassy's Nightclub, a place that I had been to, but not very much. There was an ABC Liquor store and lounge right on A1A next to the bank, but hardly anybody ever went to the lounge.

Aaahhhhh..... memories.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

OK, turns out I’m not crazy. As I now recall, there were two Ramon’s. The original was on the 520 Causeway at A1A.

Ramon’s Rainbow Room was the second and was the one atop the Glass Bank.

I feel better now.

Many thanks to Instagram.

Yes, there was a Ramon's on that corner.

I thought you were only talking about the glass bank.

3 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Yes, there was a Ramon's on that corner.

I thought you were only talking about the glass bank.

It was weird. I remembered the glass bank and I remembered Ramon’s on that corner. It didn’t seem right the bank was there but I knew Ramon’s was, just the wrong Ramon’s. Early onset Alzheimer’s, I guess.

Edited by spenser1058

1 minute ago, spenser1058 said:

It was weird. I remembered the glass bank and I remembered Ramon’s on that corner. It didn’t seem right the bank was there but I knew Ramon’s was, just the wrong Ramon’s. Early onset Alzheimer’s, I guess.

Don't feel too bad. I grew up over there and though I've gone through that intersection to and from every possible direction countless times, I didn't outright remember there was a Ramon's there until you mentioned it.

I had a sense that there was a restaurant there with its name on the sign in a kind of fancy, cursive font that might have been Ramon's, but it didn't come firmly into my mind.

Possibly because in all those years, I only ate there once.

• Like 1

It’s hard to talk about Daytona without talking about NASCAR, whose founding France family has also controlled much of the city along with folks like the Browns.

NASCAR has seen declining fortunes recently which also impact Daytona.

What happened? Here’s one take:

https://youtu.be/nSKk6J20SsA

From Company Man

On 1/14/2020 at 4:42 PM, spenser1058 said:

AdventHealth buys 103 acres at FL 44 and I95 in Greater Samsula:

https://www.hometownnewsvolusia.com/news/adventhealth-buys-acres-in-nsb/article_f451f42c-33d8-11ea-a9d2-c3c76cb6f7a3.html

From Hometown News 

they don't like that Halifax Health built a new hospital off of I-4 near 472 near where the new Amazon distribution center is going.  They already built a Centracare near US 92 & Nova.  Hospital Wars...may make a fun reality tv show.

• Like 1