Orlando Extended Metro Developments (Volusia/Brevard/East Polk)

jrs2

14 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

We knew they changed the name - the big enchilada will be if they get the nod as the HQ. My understanding is we’re not gonna get it but it would be huge if it happens.

I'd wager it goes to New Mexico given that Los Alamos is nearby and there can certainly be a lot of cross pollination (not that Los Alamos ever reveals what they are working on...)

• Like 1

Another Legoland expansion - it’s really kind of amazing how this park that’s off the beaten path has finally found a path to success again. There’s definitely something to be said for deep pockets.

It probably doesn’t hurt that all those retirees in Polk County (with a population over 700k) have a spot close by to take the grandkids when they visit..

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2020/12/16/legoland-florida-is-planning-its-biggest-expansion-yet-heres-what-it-might-be

From Orlando Weekly 

Edited by spenser1058

A great day for environmentalism in Central Florida.ADeBary's Plan to Save 170 acres on St. Johns River Gets Blessing From State PanelDeBary's Plan to Save 170 acres on St. Johns River Gets Blessing FromAAADAAnknhdkndkndkdnkdnkDeBary's Plan to Save 170 acres on St. Johns River Gets Blessing From State Panel

DeBary's Plan to Save 170 acres on St. Johns River Gets Blessing From State Panelhttps://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/news/2020/12/22/debary-s-plan-to-save-170-acres-on-st--johns-river-gets-blessing-from-state-panel

Edited by orange87

• 2 weeks later...

Crabby’s Beachwalk Bar & Grill is buying the Crow’s Nest on S. Atlantic Ave. in NSB. 

It’s just south of Flagler Avenue. Crow’s Nest was definitely meh so glad to see this is getting a multimillion dollar refurb.

https://www.hometownnewsvolusia.com/business/growing-restaurant-chain-putting-down-roots-in-new-smyrna-beach/article_b8482d60-409e-11eb-b38a-f7a1bf5ee3ee.html

From Hometown News Volusia 

The macy’s at Volusia Mall will close by April. Given it’s the chain’s only store in Volusia or fast-growing Flagler Counties, it’s a little surprising.

Fortunately, you’ll still have 3 Dillard’s at the mall to shop in.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/macys-to-close-store-at-daytonas-volusia-mall-by-end-of-april/ar-BB1cy1pL

From msn and The News-Journal 

5 minutes ago, codypet said:

@spenser1058 You just know JCPenney is next.  Its literally going to be the Dillards mall soon.

Given all the reasons  I’d never set foot in a Dillard’s store, I should be thankful I’m not living in Daytona, I suppose.

in any event, did you know Jacksonville is the largest MSA in the US without a Macy’s?

Edited by spenser1058

19 minutes ago, codypet said:

Shoot I remember back when Millenia was going to be the first Macy's in the region.   It was a big deal at the time.  Then Burdine's got acquired and it kinda felt the novelty wore off.

The funny part is that eliminating the regional brands was a big factor in wounding macy’s. And they knew better: in Dade County, for example, where macy’s and Burdines both competed, the sales/sf at Burdines ran circles around macy’s. In Chicago, the nation’s third-largest city, war almost broke out when they replaced the Marshall Field name with macy’s (even though Field’s had been owned by Target and others for a couple of decades).

Kroger definitely knows better. When they buy a regional chain, they leave the original name on it (Harris Teeter, for example, a beloved brand in the Carolinas).

Edited by spenser1058

54 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

The funny part is that eliminating the regional brands was a big factor in wounding macy’s. And they knew better: in Dade County, for example, where macy’s and Burdines both competed, the sales/sf at Burdines ran circles around macy’s. In Chicago, the nation’s third-largest city, war almost broke out when they replaced the Marshall Field name with macy’s (even though Field’s had been owned by Target and others for a couple of decades).

Kroger definitely knows better. When they buy a regional chain, they leave the original name on it (Harris Teeter, for example, a beloved brand in the Carolinas).

Yea they went so far as to pull the  Kroger name from the Raleigh area in favor of keeping Harris Teeter when I lived up there.  I was annoyed that their loyalty cards weren't interchangeable. 

Winn Dixie got a lesson in that when they acquired Goodings.  But history repeated itself when they acquired Sweetbay.

• Like 1

DeBary to sell 20 acres near SunRail station for future mixed-use downtown

A 26-year-old Volusia County city wants to build its first downtown as its population continues to grow. 

The city of DeBary plans to sell roughly 20 acres near its SunRail station for a future mixed-use urban core called DeBary Main Street by late 2020 or early 2021, City Manager Carmen Rosamonda told Orlando Business Journal. The city, which hasn't hired a broker, wants to sell the land to a developer to build out its vision of shops, apartments and more in a walkable area. 

Several smaller cities around Central Florida are looking to redesign their downtown areas, but DeBary may be alone in that it wants to create a new space from what is now mostly vacant land. The city may work with Team Volusia — the Daytona Beach area's economic development group — to offer incentives for future development, Rosamonda said.

Article: https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2020/09/18/debary-to-sell-land-for-new-downtown.html

screen-shot-2020-09-17-at-23208-pm*750xx.png

Edited by orange87
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, orange87 said:

DeBary to sell 20 acres near SunRail station for future mixed-use downtown

A 26-year-old Volusia County city wants to build its first downtown as its population continues to grow. 

The city of DeBary plans to sell roughly 20 acres near its SunRail station for a future mixed-use urban core called DeBary Main Street by late 2020 or early 2021, City Manager Carmen Rosamonda told Orlando Business Journal. The city, which hasn't hired a broker, wants to sell the land to a developer to build out its vision of shops, apartments and more in a walkable area. 

Several smaller cities around Central Florida are looking to redesign their downtown areas, but DeBary may be alone in that it wants to create a new space from what is now mostly vacant land. The city may work with Team Volusia — the Daytona Beach area's economic development group — to offer incentives for future development, Rosamonda said.

Article: https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2020/09/18/debary-to-sell-land-for-new-downtown.html

screen-shot-2020-09-17-at-23208-pm*750xx.png

DeBary never really had a downtown - it was mostly just a wide spot in the highway so this makes sense. I think they’ll have a challenge competing with (Delightful!) DeLand and Sanford, both of which have successful authentic and historic downtowns, but the devil’s in the details, I guess. Batter up!

6 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

DeBary never really had a downtown - it was mostly just a wide spot in the highway so this makes sense. I think they’ll have a challenge competing with (Delightful!) DeLand and Sanford, both of which have successful authentic and historic downtowns, but the devil’s in the details, I guess. Batter up!

DeBary will have one ENORMOUS advantage though. The DeBary Sunrail Station is literally right next to where this will be.

Edited by orange87
  • Like 3

Florida's first Bucee's is coming soon. This Texas based and Texas size auto travel center is something else.  (No big trucks allowed)  100 plus gas pumps, the cleanest restrooms on the highway, great food, great gifts.  How do I know all this I have been to 10 or so of their Texas locations.  This will do great right on I-95 in Daytona.  When I am driving out in Texas I make sure to plan my stops around them.  One just opened in Georgia, coming soon to NC, SC, TN too. 

Buc-ees – Buc-ee's Beaver has the Fun Stores (buc-ees.com)

If you don't like this place I will buy you a bag of Beaver Nuggets and send them to you.   I am jealous you are getting one way before NC or SC does. 

I-95 and LPGA Blvd. 

Gas station Buc-ee's hiring for Daytona Beach location, pay is between $14 and $15 (fox35orlando.com)

IMG_0524.JPG

IMG_0526.JPG

IMG_0527.JPG

• Like 2

5 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Space Force HQ goes to Huntsville, not Brevard:

Alabama beats out Florida’s Space Coast for U.S. Space Command headquarters
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/space/os-bz-space-force-command-alabama-florida-20210113-r6zyxdx3tvd7blyzg7tocqzqua-story.html

From The Sentinel 

Not saying Florida is the most well-educated state, but compared to Alabama, I'd think they may struggle to find enough qualified people in Alabama. Not sure most people would be thrilled to move to Alabama to work there.

7 minutes ago, orange87 said:

Not saying Florida is the most well-educated state, but compared to Alabama, I'd think they may struggle to find enough qualified people in Alabama. Not sure most people would be thrilled to move to Alabama to work there.

That’s true of most of Alabama but not Huntsville. There are more STEM folks per square inch than in most of the country. It’s also the one part of the state that’s growing.

The Nazi rocket geniuses that we brought over after WWII sat up shop in Huntsville and it’s been growing the business ever since.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

That’s true of most of Alabama but not Huntsville. There are more STEM folks per square inch than in most of the country. It’s also the one part of the state that’s growing.

The Nazi rocket geniuses that we brought over after WWII sat up shop in Huntsville and it’s been growing the business ever since.

Yes Huntsville is a great high income highly educated city.  they don't call it Rocket City for nothing.  I think Florida was hurt by being too close to the coast.  I do think they were looking something more inland.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Yes Huntsville is a great high income highly educated city.  they don't call it Rocket City for nothing.  I think Florida was hurt by being too close to the coast.  I do think they were looking something more inland.  

Alabama politicians also run circles around our local Congress folks on military things. In the Senate, Rick Scott’s too new and Marco spends all his time running for prez.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Alabama politicians also run circles around our local Congress folks on military things. In the Senate, Rick Scott’s too new and Marco spends all his time running for prez.

I don't really think it came down to political influence.  Yes, Shelby in AL always carries his weight, but the other Senator was either Jones ( a 1-term Dem who just lost) or Tubberville (who was sworn in last week). I know political oriented people like to think all decisions revolve around politics, but sometimes good decision making takes place outside the political realm. Huntsville was likely the best option... all things considered.

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Back in the 90's, I worked in the design department of a Nashville based trade show and museum exhibit company. 

When I first started there, I worked for a guy who used to be in charge of the design department at the Space and Rocket Center museum in Huntsville. He designed interactive, simulator type exhibits for them. His wife was from there and after they moved back and he resumed his old job at the museum, eventually she became the editorial cartoonist for the Huntsville newspaper.

She was really good.

Won some national awards, I think.

He offered me a job there but I didn't want to move to Alabama.

My "connection" to Huntsville.

5 hours ago, orange87 said:

Generally yes, but Huntsville is a huge area for aerospace and, specifically, space. People will locate there to work on those projects in spite of the location.

• Like 2