Orlando Extended Metro Developments (Volusia/Brevard/East Polk)

jrs2

13 hours ago, AmIReal said:

I don't really think it came down to political influence.  Yes, Shelby in AL always carries his weight, but the other Senator was either Jones ( a 1-term Dem who just lost) or Tubberville (who was sworn in last week). I know political oriented people like to think all decisions revolve around politics, but sometimes good decision making takes place outside the political realm. Huntsville was likely the best option... all things considered.

Shelby was other worldly when it came to bringing home the bacon. 

The investment made previously no doubt led to them winning the headquarters. 

• Like 1

“sometimes good decision making takes place outside the political realm”. That’s of course why businesses spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on political contributions every year - they think it has no effect.

In this case, it was just the government involved. If you don’t think politics matter, take a look at Naval Training Center -Orlando. Oh wait, we can’t. Even though it was widely acknowledged Orlando had better facilities and the weather was more conducive to training here, Chicago won out because its clout in Congress and with the Clinton administration was better than that of  Bill “I saved your Navy base” McCollum. 

Of course, the reason NTC-Orlando existed in the first place was because of a “little” gift LBJ gave to his good buddy  from the Texas hill country, Martin Andersen (then owner/publisher of the Sentinel and one of the most powerful folks in Orlando during the ‘50’s and ‘60’s).

Oh, and back to space. Do you think some great rule of logic dictated that Mission Control is located hundreds of miles away in Houston instead of at KSC? Nope, it was old-fashioned pork barrel politics.

To this day, NASA operates in states across the country just like Amtrak operates the Sunset Limited with precious few riders through several states. Why? To engender support from the folks in Congress from as many states as they can.

Edited by spenser1058

1 hour ago, jack said:

Shelby was other worldly when it came to bringing home the bacon. 

The investment made previously no doubt led to them winning the headquarters. 

Shelby certainly was a force and no doubt still does well for his constituents, but at nearly 90 years old I don't think he has the influence he has had. Out of the five states on the short list (FL, AL, TX, NM, CO) it seems like a purely political decision would have favored FL or TX. Heck, Cruz of TX chairs the Science and Space Committee.

Politico has a pretty good take on it- https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/13/colorado-lawmakers-space-command-headquarters-459066

Shelby, btw, chairs the appropriation committee... which is always useful.

Edited by AmIReal

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

“sometimes good decision making takes place outside the political realm”. That’s of course why businesses spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on political contributions every year - they think it has no effect.

In this case, it was just the government involved. If you don’t think politics matter, take a look at Naval Training Center -Orlando. Oh wait, we can’t. Even though it was widely acknowledged Orlando had better facilities and the weather was more conducive to training here, Chicago won out because its clout in Congress and with the Clinton administration was better than that of  Bill “I saved your Navy base” McCollum. 

Of course, the reason NTC-Orlando existed in the first place was because of a “little” gift LBJ gave to his good buddy  from the Texas hill country, Martin Andersen (then owner/publisher of the Sentinel and one of the most powerful folks in Orlando during the ‘50’s and ‘60’s).

Oh, and back to space. Do you think some great rule of logic dictated that Mission Control is located hundreds of miles away in Houston instead of at KSC? Nope, it was old-fashioned pork barrel politics.

To this day, NASA operates in states across the country just like Amtrak operates the Sunset Limited with precious few riders through several states. Why? To engender support from the folks in Congress from as many states as they can.

Surprisingly, this is a very good overview of why NASA is in most places.

Why does Huntsville have so much space and aerospace in the first place? Politics.

Edited by WAJAS
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

What will the space program look like in the Biden administration? The Tampa Bay Times takes a look:

https://www.tampabay.com/news/florida-politics/2021/01/14/floridas-space-industry-thrived-under-trump-what-does-biden-have-planned/

Space has always done better when its not a partisan topic. I personally appreciate Biden's lack of comment during the election cycle, but at this point I would expect some more details on his policy going forward. Based on the official policy's, I expect they'll continue Artemis but push the landing to a more reasonable 2028. That's where it was for most of Trump and Obama.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A local doctor and businessman wants to revitalize ISB on the beachside:

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/business/real-estate/2021/01/24/plans-aim-revitalize-east-isb-intersection-daytonas-beachside/4219769001/

From The News-Journal 

The fact he grew up in the area and has been successful with other developments locally is a plus (even if what he’s planning might not be what I’d do, it would be a huge improvement).
The plan (not his) to widen ISB along that stretch is a complete folly. The last thing needed to revitalize that blighted area is more asphalt. Fortunately, it looks like the money won’t be available for that debacle for years.

I wasn't aware there is a Melbourne based company that had raised $300M in VC money to build supersonic, business passenger jets. Apparently there is and they recently broke ground on their new HQ, the 110+ acre Aerian Park in Melbourne, right next to Orlando Melbourne International Airport. 

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/as2-supersonic-jet-florida-hq/index.html

Edited by AmIReal

1 hour ago, AmIReal said:

I wasn't aware there is a Melbourne based company that had raised $300M in VC money to build supersonic, business passenger jets. Apparently there is and they recently broke ground on their new HQ, the 110+ acre Aerian Park in Melbourne, right next to Orlando Melbourne International Airport. 

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/as2-supersonic-jet-florida-hq/index.html

I didn’t even know there were startups working on supersonic flight. I just lost my last thirty minutes reading about the space and companies in it....thanks for sharing the link.  

There’s been a lot of activity in avaiation along Florida’s Atlantic Coast which grew up during and after WWII. Pratt & Whitney has a big facility in Palm Beach County, Piper Aircraft is located in Vero Beach and ERAU is a growing flight and aeronautics school in Daytona. It was a selling point to bring NASA to what became the Space Coast. 

That presence would also lead to Martin coming to Orlando and GE to Daytona at one point. Later, of course, Martin would spin off expertise in simulation and optics that would lead to tie-ins with FTU/UCF (Seminole County also had firms like General Dynamics). Additional spin-offs would be seen with Harris and FIT in Melbourne.

An old line we learned in Urban Economics was that “Hollywood didn’t make LA, aeronautics did. Hollywood made LA interesting.”  The same may be said about Central Florida’s tech industries and the theme parks. While everyone was watching Mickey, the well-paying jobs were in another industry altogether.

It’s worth noting that Walt’s original plans for Florida and the original EPCOT planned to tie in to that expertise. What we ended up with after his death where tourism would devour the local economy was not what local leaders thought they were buying into.

Yeah, supersonic commercial flight has been in the cards again for a few years now, but don't expect anything that will directly effect us for about a decade at least.

Look into the X-59 plane, its testing low-sonic boom supersonic aerofoil design, which is necessary for supersonic commercial travel over land.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/17/2021 at 8:20 PM, orange87 said:

Fox 35 Orlando just called DeBary "Orlando's hottest new suburb!"

DeBary.png

Article: https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/debary-looks-to-build-downtown-amid-growth-in-popularity

It has been years since I drove 17-92 from Deland heading to Lake Jessup, but I made the trek last week. Wow, I seriously couldn't get my bearings for where I was while passing though Debary as it has changed so much

12 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

It has been years since I drove 17-92 from Deland heading to Lake Jessup, but I made the trek last week. Wow, I seriously couldn't get my bearings for where I was while passing though Debary as it has changed so much

DeBary is reinventing itself. That's for sure. It still has to shake it's reputation as a sleepy old semi-rural southern country town from people who haven't been there recently.

1 hour ago, orange87 said:

That is surprising, but good on them. Those type of accolades go far in setting the direction of a transitioning community.

There is a 156 mile corridor that runs through Volusia and Seminole called the River of Lakes Heritage Corridor. It is one of 27 Florida designated Scenic Highways. In mid- Feb the US DOT named the corridor to the official list of 184 America's Byways, eight of which are in Florida. 

The designation allows the corridor to apply for US funds to promote and maintain the route - they previously could only access State funds. From the Beacon, “Now we can apply for and obtain [federal] grants for such things as marketing, upkeep and brochures,” Sullivan told The Beacon in a phone interview. “All of that can bring us more ecotourism to show off the St. Johns River, our bike trails and springs, and our natural beauty."

https://www.beacononlinenews.com/business/federal-designation-could-boost-west-volusia-tourism/article_1267b282-75df-11eb-b141-1b60d5007640.html

Florida's list of bi-ways https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/byways/states/FL

• Like 2

Former Backstreet Boy developing condo complex at Cocoa Beach - will @JFW657 be its first groupie as it rises in his home county?

Howie Dorough of Orlando’s Backstreet Boys is developing a luxury condo complex
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/real-estate/prime-property/os-ne-howie-dorough-backstreet-boys-cocoa-beach-condos-20210302-fjpofzr6bzaudb3nfmalfoxj4e-story.html

From The Sentinel 

Kinda ugly looking thing.

Even if I had the money and wanted to move back over to that area, I wouldn't buy one there.

Besides, I always hated those guys.

BTW, here's a link to a non-paywall article about it....

https://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/2021/03/01/backstreet-boy-howie-d-breaks-ground-surf-35-m-cocoa-beach-condominium-complex/6814138002/

• Like 1

On 3/2/2021 at 10:06 PM, spenser1058 said:

Former Backstreet Boy developing condo complex at Cocoa Beach - will @JFW657 be its first groupie as it rises in his home county?

Howie Dorough of Orlando’s Backstreet Boys is developing a luxury condo complex
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/real-estate/prime-property/os-ne-howie-dorough-backstreet-boys-cocoa-beach-condos-20210302-fjpofzr6bzaudb3nfmalfoxj4e-story.html

From The Sentinel 

Quite the gamble on Cocoa Beach. 

8 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

Quite the gamble on Cocoa Beach. 

It definitely has been but Port Canaveral and its cruise business is growing (or is likely to post-COVID) plus the space business is bringing in new employees plus will be ramping up tourism as manned launches resume. Heck, they’ll also want to wander over to the birthplace of @JFW657! All in all, I’d take the bet although I still prefer NSB myself.

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

It definitely has been but Port Canaveral and its cruise business is growing (or is likely to post-COVID) plus the space business is bringing in new employees plus will be ramping up tourism as manned launches resume. Heck, they’ll also want to wander over to the birthplace of @JFW657! All in all, I’d take the bet although I still prefer NSB myself.

Good points — considering that Daytona has pretty much turned its back on being anything other than a backdrop for NASCAR and bike week, perhaps Cocoa or another larger beach city can fill that void. 

• Like 1

I’m intrigued by Daytona. The Browns are leaving a legacy downtown (whether good or bad will depend on if they keep the unique strip along Beach St.), the old guard at City Hall is retiring and NASCAR is going to be so busy saving itself they won’t have a lot of time to fiddle with the city.

The county council chair gets the beach and some other locals are interested in it (finally). The default setting is still tilted to developers building up the palmetto scrubs but it’s more hopeful than it’s been in decades. I look forward to watching it.