Orlando Extended Metro Developments (Volusia/Brevard/East Polk)

jrs2

Good news for the beachside - the Nautilus Inn at 1515 S Atlantic Ave. in DB has a new management group and a multi-million dollar reno is coming to the 99-room hotel in August:

https://www.hometownnewsvolusia.com/business/business-briefs-march-5-2021/article_790deea4-7853-11eb-8a11-7f6df08de934.html

From Hometown News Volusia 

On 3/7/2021 at 11:54 AM, spenser1058 said:

Oh boy! The Daytona Buc-ees opens March 22 at I-95 and LPGA Blvd.:

https://www.hometownnewsvolusia.com/business/buc-ees-opening-march-22-in-daytona-beach/article_3f11d394-7d05-11eb-ab34-4baf244978b7.html

From Hometown News Volusia 

Funny driving to and back from Atl this weekend.  That Macon Buccees was weirdly dead both times.

"Project Kraken" (this party seems to like that reference for some reason).

Space Florida is working to bring an unnamed spacecraft manufacturing firm to Brevard. The firm would supposedly invest $300M and create 2100 jobs by 2025 with average salaries of $84k.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/03/18/space-florida-attempts-to-lure-mystery-firm-to-bre.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_11&cx_artPos=0#cxrecs_s

48 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Biden reported to pick Nelson to head NASA...

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/space/os-ne-bill-nelson-nasa-20210318-cfek662lebfa5brj2aiw5i3r7u-story.html

and I can only wonder why the hell...

Bill Nelson was not only an astronaut but also worked on committees engaged with space issues in Congress for decades. He’s also a Brevard native and will do everything possible to bring home the bacon for NASA and the county. Awesome choice.

Edited by spenser1058

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Bill Nelson was not only an astronaut but also worked on committees engaged with space issues in Congress for decades. He’s also a Brevard native and will do everything possible to bring home the bacon for NASA and the county. Awesome choice.

I'm well aware of his past and current involvement and support in the space program though I thinking bringing home the bacon to his home town is a political job that should not be in his job description. I think he was a fair Senator and is a really nice fellow I just think there were much better choices out there. He does have very direct ties to the President- and that is good- but I feel he would have been best staying in his current advisory roll.

I find it odd you rail against Mayor Dyer for being too old and out of step to run this city, but you're ok with a man 16 years his senior running the most technologically dependent organization in the Federal Government. 

4 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

I'm well aware of his past and current involvement and support in the space program though I thinking bringing home the bacon to his home town is a political job that should not be in his job description. I think he was a fair Senator and is a really nice fellow I just think there were much better choices out there. He does have very direct ties to the President- and that is good- but I feel he would have been best staying in his current advisory roll.

I find it odd you rail against Mayor Dyer for being too old and out of step to run this city, but you're ok with a man 16 years his senior running the most technologically dependent organization in the Federal Government. 

The difference is Bill Nelson is passionate about NASA and will actively engage in taking us into space and making the case for the Space Coast. The only thing Orlando’s mayor is passionate about is his billionaire Buddies. 

Not everyone who’s older is ready for the pasture, as Gus Malzahn and President Biden have recently shown us. Then there are those like Buddy who are following  John Land and Earl K. Wood and are just collecting a check.

4 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

The difference is Bill Nelson is passionate about NASA and will actively engage in taking us into space and making the case for the Space Coast. The only thing Orlando’s mayor is passionate about is his billionaire Buddies. 

Not everyone who’s older is ready for the pasture, as Gus Malzahn and President Biden have recently shown us. Then there are those like Buddy who are following  John Land and Earl K. Wood and are just collecting a check.

Pretty weak reasoning, even by your standards.

• 2 weeks later...

Between 2016-19 the International Palms Resort and Conference Center in Cocoa generated 2,155 calls to law enforcement. Plans are now in the works to raze it and build a $300M 4-star Westin.

The rendering looks cool- https://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/2021/03/28/cocoa-beach-brink-approving-300-m-westin-luxury-resort-international-palms-site/7036301002/

316156af-4cdf-4ebf-9a9b-b305fb2886e5-Westin_Cocoa_Beach_Approach_-_Gensler.jpg?width=660&height=372&fit=crop&format=pjpg&auto=webp

Just heard on the news that Volusia County is considering selling the naming rights to various sections of the beaches in order to offset the loss of revenue if they do away with beach driving fees.

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/news/local/volusia/2021/04/06/volusia-proposal-sell-beach-access-naming-rights-delayed-after-budget/7099940002/

That could result in some interesting names....

Coca Cola (Coke) Beach

Pepsi Beach

Budweiser Beach

McDonald's Beach

Tide Beach

Amway Beach

Hawaiian Tropic Beach

Camping World Beach

Standard Oil Beach 

NASCAR Beach

• Like 1

Daytona Beach has had bad governance for a long, long time (I think this is true of all of Volusia County), but I have some hope things may be changing... a little. They elected better local representatives and have a new incoming City Manager. The News Journal listed what they see as needing immediate attention; strengthen relations with other local governments, fix mid-town (the area around BCC), address the blight on beachside, manage growth in the exploding LPGA area and overhaul personnel... That all sounds great, but there was no indication on how to pay for any of the above.

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/opinion/editorials/2021/04/11/five-big-challenges-daytonas-new-city-manager-deric-feacher-beachside-midtown-lpga-chisholm/7167876002/

• Like 2

Another manned launch by SpaceX and NASA next Thursday on the Space Coast:

https://www.wesh.com/amp/article/spacex-nasa-go-for-launch-crew-3/36137997

From WESH

Four astronauts will be heading to the ISS.

Cue Ron Paul, please, manned flight... IT’S HAPPENING again, right in @JFW657 ‘s old stomping grounds.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/12/2021 at 9:05 PM, AmIReal said:

Daytona Beach has had bad governance for a long, long time (I think this is true of all of Volusia County), but I have some hope things may be changing... a little. They elected better local representatives and have a new incoming City Manager. The News Journal listed what they see as needing immediate attention; strengthen relations with other local governments, fix mid-town (the area around BCC), address the blight on beachside, manage growth in the exploding LPGA area and overhaul personnel... That all sounds great, but there was no indication on how to pay for any of the above.

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/opinion/editorials/2021/04/11/five-big-challenges-daytonas-new-city-manager-deric-feacher-beachside-midtown-lpga-chisholm/7167876002/

Daytona Beach's city government for the most part has sucked for thirty years.  They kicked out the money making tourism and bankrupted dozens of hotels, restaurants, gift shops, etc...  They kicked out MTV and later kicked out BET.  They killed the Boardwalk.  Yet, they've been paying $$$ for new bridges at Seabreeze, Broadway, and the latest at Silver Beach, thus dismantling the draw bridges.  So many millions of dollars spent.  

• 2 weeks later...