Orlando Extended Metro Developments (Volusia/Brevard/East Polk)

jrs2

51 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

So much for Aerion Supersonic, the multi-billion $ startup in Melbourne I was so surprised (and excited) to hear about a few month back. They have abruptly shut down- https://www.engadget.com/aerion-supersonic-shuts-down-jet-business-212025988.html

That’s a little surprising. My GE stock has been showing some signs of life lately because of picking up new contracts for engines.  Hard to figure out the world some days.

37 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Okay this is up in Jax but it is good win for state and that city.  Dun and Bradstreet moving HQ there with 500 jobs.

Dun & Bradstreet Relocating Corporate HQ To Jacksonville, Florida (businessfacilities.com)

I often have to chuckle about those who have little knowledge of Jax’s strengths in finance, shipping, logistics and the like (not to mention the military presence that is a huge secure base for the economy). I was told once by a poster on SSC that the city just didn’t matter, even though its growth has been quite solid for years. It’s culturally very different from most of peninsular Florida but, for a lot of reasons, it works. If only they hadn’t run off the Hollywood crowd in the ‘20’s (not to mention they swiped Orlando’s Nordstrom..!)

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 3

Good news at the Broadwalk? Hometown News Volusia is reporting plans have been filed for an amusement center at Ocean Avenue and Harvey Street in Daytona Beach.

There might even be a Ferris wheel - be still my heart. If the city gets serious about embracing its heritage and restoring the Broadwalk, I’ll take back everything bad I’ve ever said about Daytona, even if they are hellbent on creating sprawl along the Palmetto Curtain:

https://www.hometownnewsvolusia.com/business/volusia-business-news-volusia-county-is-getting-back-to-hospitable/article_8e42fe92-b70d-11eb-947d-db88b06924ae.html

• Like 1

23 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Good news at the Broadwalk? Hometown News Volusia is reporting plans have been filed for an amusement center at Ocean Avenue and Harvey Street in Daytona Beach.

There might even be a Ferris wheel - be still my heart. If the city gets serious about embracing its heritage and restoring the Broadwalk, I’ll take back everything bad I’ve ever said about Daytona, even if they are hellbent on creating sprawl along the Palmetto Curtain:

https://www.hometownnewsvolusia.com/business/volusia-business-news-volusia-county-is-getting-back-to-hospitable/article_8e42fe92-b70d-11eb-947d-db88b06924ae.html

I think this is where they were going to put a Marriott.  I guess covid killed that idea.  Shoot.  With only one tower of the planned two tower Protogroup project still not finished yet, with that financial backing, if they can't get it done, then what chance does a construction loan reliant company have?

As for the Boardwalk, I was in the arcade in the fall and they upgraded the games to where they are modern like the Daven Busters and Gametime facilities over by the Palmetto Curtain.  BTW, there is a bunch of land clearing going on along Williamson from Advent Health south to TTC by Tanger.

The Buc-ee's is pretty awesome for a gas station.  It's Wawa on steroids; it's the John Holmes of gas stations.  

New Wawa going in at Nova & Mason- good infill

Brown & Brown is looking good; no second and third towers/buildings yet.

New bridge at Silver Beach is nice; waste of money if you ask me.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

I think this is where they were going to put a Marriott.  I guess covid killed that idea.  Shoot.  With only one tower of the planned two tower Protogroup project still not finished yet, with that financial backing, if they can't get it done, then what chance does a construction loan reliant company have?

As for the Boardwalk, I was in the arcade in the fall and they upgraded the games to where they are modern like the Daven Busters and Gametime facilities over by the Palmetto Curtain.  BTW, there is a bunch of land clearing going on along Williamson from Advent Health south to TTC by Tanger.

The Buc-ee's is pretty awesome for a gas station.  It's Wawa on steroids; it's the John Holmes of gas stations.  

New Wawa going in at Nova & Mason- good infill

Brown & Brown is looking good; no second and third towers/buildings yet.

New bridge at Silver Beach is nice; waste of money if you ask me.

I want @jrs2to buy me a share of SAM (Boston Beer) for my birthday. Sadly it’s $1100 at the moment…

• Haha 1

Despite Ron’s “I’ll huff and I’ll puff and I’ll blow your house down”  blather that accomplished nothing (thanks, Guv!), cruises are coming back soon.

When they do, the Disney Cruise Line at Port Canaveral will have an updated terminal. Here’s some pics:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/florida-cruise-guide/os-pictures-redesign-of-disney-cruise-line-terminal-at-port-canaveral-20190122-photogallery.html

From The Sentinel 
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Reading about Deric Feacher, Daytona’s fascinating new city manager, who seems to be everything his outgoing predecessor (Jim Chisholm, who kept the job far too long - sound familiar?) was not, I found out about Feacher’s unceremonious dumping from the same job in Winter Haven. Not only the local press stood behind him but there was an incredible turnout the night he was fired (that’s unusual) supporting him. Anyway, it’s disquieting to find out the Winter Haven city commission is everything you hoped it wouldn’t be. And so it goes…

Edited by spenser1058

Affordable apartments may still be on for Midtown Daytona:

Hope still alive for new apartments on empty 2-acre lot in Daytona's Midtown neighborhood

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/news/local/volusia/2021/06/01/daytona-beach-property-targeted-for-affordable-housing-apartments/5261086001/

From The News-Journal 

On 6/1/2021 at 10:45 PM, spenser1058 said:

Lake Wales to become “a city in a garden” and tie the town in more closely with the verdant Bok Tower Gardens:

https://www.theledger.com/story/news/local/2021/06/01/lake-wales-revitalization-plan-envisions-a-city-garden/5200008001/

From the Lakeland Ledger 

SAVE THE TREES!

Interesting read. Thanks for sharing! I think Lake Wales is another inland town with great potential. It's biggest disadvantage in my opinion is that it seems/feels very disconnected and remote. It's one of those places that would be a boom town if it were on a commuter line like SunRail.

• Like 3

Today, we have a blast from @JFW657’s past - Bernard’s Surf. Scott J remembers those days and there’s even a comment from former Sentinel columnist Bob Morris (one of the reigning experts on anything to do with life in Central Florida):

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/5681-matchbook-memories-bernard-s-surf

57 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Today, we have a blast from @JFW657’s past - Bernard’s Surf. Scott J remembers those days and there’s even a comment from former Sentinel columnist Bob Morris (one of the reigning experts on anything to do with life in Central Florida):

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/5681-matchbook-memories-bernard-s-surf

Bob Morris.... a poor man's Rob Morse.

I think I ate at Bernard's Surf once on a double date with a girl I barely knew and a couple I didn't know at all. 

It was awkward.

And a long, long time ago.  

But the food was good. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Bob Morris.... a poor man's Rob Morse.

I think I ate at Bernard's Surf once on a double date with a girl I barely knew and a couple I didn't know at all. 

It was awkward.

And a long, long time ago.  

But the food was good. 

Rob sure did sling the attitude. Ironically, Bob (at least the last time I checked) was teaching a course at Rollins and living in WP. Not bad for a bubba.

On 6/2/2021 at 6:09 PM, spenser1058 said:

Affordable apartments may still be on for Midtown Daytona:

Hope still alive for new apartments on empty 2-acre lot in Daytona's Midtown neighborhood

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/news/local/volusia/2021/06/01/daytona-beach-property-targeted-for-affordable-housing-apartments/5261086001/

From The News-Journal 

they say the 2 acre parcel has been decaying for five years.  Um, that whole part of town has been decaying since Pitfall for Atari was on the store shelves at Zayre just up the street.

On 6/4/2021 at 9:37 PM, spenser1058 said:

Daytona Grande is open at long last:

Check out this article from Daytona Beach News-Journal:

Long delayed Protogroup hotel opens without fanfare. Here's a look inside

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/news/local/2021/06/04/protogroup-hotel-open-daytona-beach-but-many-amenities-not-ready/7541179002/

so I guess the land of Putin is pulling their $$$ out of the US and reinvesting in the Euro, Pound, and Yen I think.  I wonder of some of that $$$ was tied into this Protogroup project which caused these delays...  maybe not.  these guys had problems with their contractors at least a year before covid.  Dunno.  Just glad they met this threshold at least...

20 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

so I guess the land of Putin is pulling their $$$ out of the US and reinvesting in the Euro, Pound, and Yen I think.  I wonder of some of that $$$ was tied into this Protogroup project which caused these delays...  maybe not.  these guys had problems with their contractors at least a year before covid.  Dunno.  Just glad they met this threshold at least...

Their problem was a lack of experience. Some of it is the contractor but a builder is only as good as the owner. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jack said:

Their problem was a lack of experience. Some of it is the contractor but a builder is only as good as the owner. 

so, what's your take on the viability of this project to continue forward onto tower 2?

17 hours ago, jrs2 said:

so, what's your take on the viability of this project to continue forward onto tower 2?

I am not sure. I always avoided Daytona from an investment standpoint but I am starting to rethink that approach. The city needs to continue cleaning that city up. Some parts (as mentioned above) are just too rundown for their main drags. 

13 minutes ago, jack said:

I am not sure. I always avoided Daytona from an investment standpoint but I am starting to rethink that approach. The city needs to continue cleaning that city up. Some parts (as mentioned above) are just too rundown for their main drags. 

yeah.  I've noticed a bunch of development on LPGA, from Clyde Morris west; also on  Williamson.  As for the Nova Road corridor near Mason or 92, forget it.  It is ghetto.

there is the Wawa going up at Masonova.  And a few years ago Toyota built a dealer behind Krispy Kreme at 92/Nova.  Other than that, O-Reilly Auto parts on Nova?  Very sad.

92 from the bridge to A1A is horrible...and it shouldn't be...

I remember the corner with A1A had Shark Lounge and it was iconic in a seedy sort of way, but it was historic for the corridor.  Now, theres a couple of strip clubs near Grandview I think.

But, on A1A, Westgate Resorts, per that article from Spenser, bought the Americano.  This is huge b/c BlueGreen and a couple other timeshare companies already have a presence there.  Now, with Westgate having a presence on A1A , I think that's one more piece to really push things forward at least marketing-wise for A1A. 

Lord (not Jack Lord) knows that The City hasn't done squat in that department since dumping MTV and BET 25 years previously.

Demolition by neglect wins again, this time in Ormond Beach. A former church with some interesting architectural features (the story says it was built in ‘76 but it looks more like a ‘60’s design to me). 

Anyway, the city commission is opting to “pave paradise and put up a parking lot.

The 1950’s seem to be alive and well in Ormond.

Check out this article from Daytona Beach News-Journal:

Ormond Beach moves forward with converting church into parking lot near downtown

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/news/local/volusia/2021/06/07/ormond-beach-officials-opt-more-parking-historic-neighborhood/7455576002/