Orlando Extended Metro Developments (Volusia/Brevard/East Polk)

jrs2

On 7/11/2021 at 1:47 PM, spenser1058 said:

Just up the road in Ormond, a significant downtown church (among whose visitors back in the day included John D. Rockefeller when he was in winter residence at The Casements) will get another hearing before they tear it down against the wishes of many residents.

I think it will still fall to demolition by neglect (it’s funny how real estate interests are ready to run the bulldozers when that’s how they’ll make their greedy bucks but are all too happy to casually overlook flaws when the existing structure may be sold), but at least the mayor (who voted to save it the first time) is trying to represent his constituents here.

Check out this article from Daytona Beach News-Journal:

Ormond Beach calls special meeting about former Riverside Church slated for demolition

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/news/local/volusia/2021/07/08/ormond-beach-mayor-calls-special-meeting-concerning-historic-church/7885201002/

I think it is done... https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/news/local/volusia/2021/07/14/ormond-beach-officials-stand-firm-demolishing-former-church/7943923002/

https://www.ormondbeachobserver.com/article/kent-littleton-persis-stand-by-decision-to-demolish-church-on-beach-street

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Brown & Brown, one of the longtime Daytona families, has been redoing much of the previously moribund downtown area.

They are now buying three more buildings and bringing 600 new jobs from a subsidiary elsewhere in the country:

Brown & Brown buys 3 downtown Daytona buildings for $14M; expected to bring 600 jobs

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/news/local/volusia/2021/07/16/brown-and-brown-buys-three-downtown-daytona-buildings-for-14-million/7979260002/

From The News Journal 

Between their new headquarters, these 3 buildings which is across from their old headquarters (which they still own, I think) plus the retail/ residential development going in where the the old church was demoed, the beach street and park revitalization plan and the future plans for City Island- this is busy few blocks. It would be so Daytona to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory- let's hope they have learned.

55 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

I think it is done... https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/news/local/volusia/2021/07/14/ormond-beach-officials-stand-firm-demolishing-former-church/7943923002/

https://www.ormondbeachobserver.com/article/kent-littleton-persis-stand-by-decision-to-demolish-church-on-beach-street

Between their new headquarters, these 3 buildings which is across from their old headquarters (which they still own, I think) plus the retail/ residential development going in where the the old church was demoed, the beach street and park revitalization plan and the future plans for City Island- this is busy few blocks. It would be so Daytona to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory- let's hope they have learned.

Hyatt Brown really seems concerned about his legacy, so I’m hopeful (it’s been an interesting comparison as we haven’t had any of our FFOs willing to step up to , for example, take over the Sentinel as has happened in other cities when there was a chance at local control - particularly ironic when you ponder just how huge a role Martin Andersen had in boosting Orlando’s fortunes, even if he was a shameless segregationist).

Anyway, the proof in the pudding will be if the Browns use their clout to restore and refurbish the Beach St. shopping strip to its former glory. If they don’t, you will have called it and they will have blown this key opportunity. It was once central Florida’s finest in terms of the variety of retail and its location overlooking the park and the Halifax.

Edited by spenser1058

On 7/16/2021 at 4:26 PM, AmIReal said:

I am confused about that residential/retail project along US92 in downtown Daytona that got delayed because "they couldn't make the numbers work."  I thought Consolidated Tomoka was spearheading it after they demo'ed the church and moved it out west.  They've got $$$.  So, how is that?

4 hours ago, jrs2 said:

I am confused about that residential/retail project along US92 in downtown Daytona that got delayed because "they couldn't make the numbers work."  I thought Consolidated Tomoka was spearheading it after they demo'ed the church and moved it out west.  They've got $$$.  So, how is that?

Consolidated Tomoka (now CTO Realty Growth) is the property owner. The developer/ builder they had under contract pulled out after doing due diligence. I think it will still happen as long as the economy holds up.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Consolidated Tomoka (now CTO Realty Growth) is the property owner. The developer/ builder they had under contract pulled out after doing due diligence. I think it will still happen as long as the economy holds up.

I sure hope so.  They cleared out, it seems two square blocks.

Do you know what the holdup has been with Protogroup and Tower II?  The first tower hotel finally opened a few weeks back.  They are still not completely done with the meeting rooms, restaurant(s), etc...but the lobby is functioning along Oakridge.

22 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

I sure hope so.  They cleared out, it seems two square blocks.

Do you know what the holdup has been with Protogroup and Tower II?  The first tower hotel finally opened a few weeks back.  They are still not completely done with the meeting rooms, restaurant(s), etc...but the lobby is functioning along Oakridge.

I believe I read there’s concern regarding some rusted rebar and the associated concrete which has been exposed to the elements for over a year and that could conceivably affect structural integrity .

After Surfside, the neighbors are antsy and the various folks involved for saying it’s all OK are passing the football around.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I believe I read there’s concern regarding some rusted rebar and the associated concrete which has been exposed to the elements for over a year and that could conceivably affect structural integrity .

After Surfside, the neighbors are antsy and the various folks involved for saying it’s all OK are passing the football around.

I noticed that over the past year.  How do you leave rebar exposed like that?  That should've been treated with something immediately, or there may be a product that destroys the rust. Dunno...

• Like 1

The Volusia County Council abandons a controversial parking plan at 16th Ave in New Smyrna in favor of a walkover dune access::

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/news/local/volusia/2021/07/21/new-smyrna-beach-parking-16th-avenue-walkover/8016680002/

From The News Journal 

“We’re NSB, New Smyrna Beach, not NSP, New Smyrna Parking.” Vice-Mayor Jake Sachs

Well, it’s about 30 years late but even the powers that be in Daytona finally get it about out of control special events.

In wake of Truck Meet mayhem, HAAA tourism board talks long-term vision for Daytona Beach

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/news/local/2021/07/22/daytona-beach-tourism-board-considers-long-term-plan-elevate-image/8032754002/

Now, of course, they’ll end up going too far the other way  and try to turn the beachside into the high falutin’ places on the lower Gulf. What is so hard about understanding what made Daytona tick for middle income folks in the ‘50’s and ‘60’s? Capitalize on that retro quality and you unlock something uniquely Daytona.

Ever wonder why NSB has been so much more successful at it than Daytona? It’s because the folks in government actually listened to the residents and visitors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Well, it’s about 30 years late but even the powers that be in Daytona finally get it about out of control special events.

In wake of Truck Meet mayhem, HAAA tourism board talks long-term vision for Daytona Beach

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/news/local/2021/07/22/daytona-beach-tourism-board-considers-long-term-plan-elevate-image/8032754002/

Now, of course, they’ll end up going too far the other way  and try to turn the beachside into the high falutin’ places on the lower Gulf. What is so hard about understanding what made Daytona tick for middle income folks in the ‘50’s and ‘60’s? Capitalize on that retro quality and you unlock something uniquely Daytona.

Ever wonder why NSB has been so much more successful at it than Daytona? It’s because the folks in government actually listened to the residents and visitors.

If they want to elevate their image, here's how to do it:

1.  Hard Rock Hotel- it opened a few years ago

2.  Protogroup Resort Tower 1- finish the project and market it heavily

3.  Westgate Resorts- take over Americano and start bringing that crowd over (in the works)

4.  attract more hotel chains as a result of these new developments to A1A... like Westin, etc.  Maybe make them condo/hotel combos

5.  make partnerships with companies like Brown & Brown to bring people down from up north and market the area to them.

6.  other things-- like ship out the panhandlers

• Like 1

On 7/23/2021 at 8:22 PM, spenser1058 said:

Don’t you wonder how fast these special events like the truck meet would have disappeared if they let them go marauding through Daytona Highlands or Margaritaville?

speaking about the subject of the Americano purchase by Westgate Resorts, I noticed that they didn't just buy the Americano with parking lot on it's north end, but it looks like that tract of land to the south as well.  The entire tract is fenced off all the way to Sunrise Beach Club.

That's good, right?  Westgate's got mula to spend...

39 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

speaking about the subject of the Americano purchase by Westgate Resorts, I noticed that they didn't just buy the Americano with parking lot on it's north end, but it looks like that tract of land to the south as well.  The entire tract is fenced off all the way to Sunrise Beach Club.

David Siegel and his wife make the DeVos clan seem like lovely folks by comparison so let’s not go there.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Haha 1

On 7/19/2021 at 2:39 PM, jrs2 said:

Do you know what the holdup has been with Protogroup and Tower II?

Besides the rusted rebar you mentioned there also appears to be lots of ownership financial issues. I suspect lawsuits will start flying soon. I don't have high hopes for Tower II anytime soon.

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

Yes, I agree. That's good.

48 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

David Siegel and his wife make the DeVos clan seem like lovely folks by comparison so let’s not go there.

Alright...when time permits...lay it on me...I don't know enough about either clan...but less about the wesgait people...

On 7/28/2021 at 6:34 PM, spenser1058 said:

uh oh...ya think a bunch of Daytona people moved there and are trying to Daytona NSB?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, jrs2 said:

uh oh...ya think a bunch of Daytona people moved there and are trying to Daytona NSB?

God, I hope not. As the article notes, a whole lot of folks just aren’t paying attention and the reticence reflects the political leanings of most NSB residents. The city government seems to be trying their darndest, so here’s hoping.

• Like 1

Though it’s heartening they’re at last tiptoeing in the right direction, it’s a bit comical that just about everyone in the county has recognized this problem for decades while the powers that be ignored it.

Otoh, Orlando folks have known we are relying on an economy too dependent on low wages for years but are still doubling down so I guess we really can’t say much.

It’s amazing just how prescient “Jaws” was about the tourism mentality.

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/news/local/2021/07/30/billie-wheeler-outlines-task-force-response-plan-daytona-truck-meet/5421470001/

From The News Journal 

Is the fate of the long-deteriorating Treasure Island resort in Daytona Beach Shores about to be determined?

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/news/local/2021/08/05/daytona-beach-treasure-island-resort-could-face-demolition/5486309001/

From The News Journal 

Edited by spenser1058

48 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Is the fate of the long-deteriorating Treasurs Island resort in Daytona Beach Shores about to be determined?

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/news/local/2021/08/05/daytona-beach-treasure-island-resort-could-face-demolition/5486309001/

From The News Journal 

I have been waiting to see what happens with this property along with everyone else for years. 

• Like 1