Orlando Extended Metro Developments (Volusia/Brevard/East Polk)

jrs2

Daytona Beach is buying additional property at FLA1A and US 92 (ISB) to facilitate a cleanup of the area and a roundabout.

It's not how I would have done it but this intersection has needed help for ages.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20180418/city-of-daytona-buys-land-to-help-with-east-isb-overhaul?template=ampart

From the News-Journal

May have already been discussed...

The FL legislature passed a law allowing private beach owners to prohibit public access to their beaches.

This law more specifically prohibits local ordinances that would currently allow for public access.

The new law goes into effect this summer and will affect 60% of FL beaches.

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Daytona Beach is buying additional property at FLA1A and US 92 (ISB) to facilitate a cleanup of the area and a roundabout.

It's not how I would have done it but this intersection has needed help for ages.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20180418/city-of-daytona-buys-land-to-help-with-east-isb-overhaul?template=ampart

From the News-Journal

Ah, The Shark Lounge...never been, but a Daytona classic...  How would you fix that intersection?  That strip from A1A to the bridge is just for the most part...dead.

Edited by jrs2

1 hour ago, I am Reality said:

May have already been discussed...

The FL legislature passed a law allowing private beach owners to prohibit public access to their beaches.

This law more specifically prohibits local ordinances that would currently allow for public access.

The new law goes into effect this summer and will affect 60% of FL beaches.

curious to see how this may play out...

14 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

curious to see how this may play out...

As discussed previously, Volusia and St Johns are grandfathered out. Flagler is trying to pass something that will pass muster before the deadline.

No word on Brevard.

As long as our Central Florida is safe, I'm content. 

Meanwhile, we just have to get some environmentally aware folks back in Tallahassee. Come on, November!

Edited by spenser1058

2 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

As discussed previously, Volusia and St Johns are grandfathered out. Flagler is trying to pass something that will pass muster before the deadline.

No word on Brevard.

As long as our Central Florida is safe, lady content. 

Meanwhile, we just have to get some environmentally aware folks back in Tallahassee. Come on, November!

The people in Tallahassee are endlessly disappointing. 

It's just another example of preemption that terrorizes local officials.

The state leaders do not believe in local governance and want to micro-manage everything. 

I've talked to local government officials that feel  powerless to preemption. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jrs2 said:

Ah, The Shark Lounge...never been, but a Daytona classic...  How would you fix that intersection?  That strip from A1A to the bridge is just for the most part...dead.

I will respond on that because the answer really requires some talk about the whole beachside. For now, let me just say that the sea of asphalt at that intersection is the antithesis of anything aesthetically pleasing that a vacation destination should aspire to. The north end of I-Drive by comparison would be an improvement and that's scary to even think about.

spenser1058, while thinking about your redesign of the area take into account the Beachside Redevelopment Board and their specific ideas for that intersection:

NEEDS:

Landscape

Hardscape

Medians

Lighting

Crosswalks

Updated Signals

Underground Utilities 

POLICY:

Enhance Code Enforcement

Provide for Façade Grants

Enhance Policing

Incentives for Residential Redevelopment

Quarterly Meetings with Neighborhood Groups

They have allocated $750,000 for design and estimate $23,200,000 for total budget.

Plans are also indicated for all of the other beachside gateways.

https://www.volusia.org/core/fileparse.php/6081/urlt/BRC_Recommendations_Draft_03-19-18.pdf

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AmIReal said:

spenser1058, while thinking about your redesign of the area take into account the Beachside Redevelopment Board and their specific ideas for that intersection:

NEEDS:

Landscape

Hardscape

Medians

Lighting

Crosswalks

Updated Signals

Underground Utilities 

POLICY:

Enhance Code Enforcement

Provide for Façade Grants

Enhance Policing

Incentives for Residential Redevelopment

Quarterly Meetings with Neighborhood Groups

They have allocated $750,000 for design and estimate $23,200,000 for total budget.

Plans are also indicated for all of the other beachside gateways.

https://www.volusia.org/core/fileparse.php/6081/urlt/BRC_Recommendations_Draft_03-19-18.pdf

This would be a solid start. Think they're serious ?

I don't know, Dale. I'm sure the participants that spent a year developing the recommendations are serious and I know the city staff is talking differently than they have in the past. On the other hand, where do they get the money. The entire project proposes $85 million in spending. If they would start with seriously ramping up policing, code enforcement and collection of levied fines it would be a great start. Make the land use changes to muni-code the committee recommends, spend big on the ISB-A1A gateway and really tightly focus on University to Silverbeach (which is what they have proposed), I think they could have a mighty nice 2 mile stretch of tacky tourist nirvana. 

I should have included this...

Blighted Corridor: Daytona’s East ISB is broken. Can $25.75M fix it?

http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20170404/blighted-corridor-daytonas-east-isb-is-broken-can-2575m-fix-it

part of a 5 part series.

I have to say a particular reporter over in that area (Zaffiro-Kean) is covering their economic mess really well.

19 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Port Canaveral begins construction of a new $150 million cruise terminal to supplant the old Terminal 3. It will provide support for up to 4000 jobs.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/brinkmann-on-business/os-bz-port-canaveral-terminal-20180427-story.html

Fromm the Sentinel

The 4,000 jobs are associated with a larger $2.6 billion proposal. 

The proposal calls for a 3 new cruise terminals.   Only 1 terminal is being constructed right now. 

The proposal also calls for a transportation system to the rest of the region, a fishing village, restaurants, and a conference center.  

More apartments proposed for SR 44 in New Smyrna Beach:

http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20180428/new-smyrna-oks-divisive-apartments-on-sr-44?template=ampart

From the News-Journal

It's been noted there's more construction going on in NSB than anywhere else in Volusia right now. That's really going to change the calculus of which community has the power in Volusia if it continues.

Sadly, Samsula is on its way to being paved over and the Palmetto Curtain will be nothing but a memory before we know it. Hopefully, slaw rasslin' is forever!

• Like 1

Construction is expected to start this summer on a 289-unit luxury apartment complex near the Sunrail station in DeBary. This is the first stage of the $180 million DeBary Town Center which will also include a senior living facility, stores, eateries and at least one small grocery store. Additional pedestrian trails and manmade lakes would also be part of the development.

Edited by orange87
  • Like 2

Public meeting in NSB to discuss whether recent growth should be managed. Attendance is expected to be heavy so they're moving over from City Hall to the Brannon Center.

Will sprawl continue to rule the roost as the city grows out to Samsula or can residents dial it back?

http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20180430/too-much-growth-officials-weigh-future-of-new-smyrna-beach?template=ampart

From the News-Journal

• Like 1

On 4/28/2018 at 6:55 PM, spenser1058 said:

More apartments proposed for SR 44 in New Smyrna Beach:

http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20180428/new-smyrna-oks-divisive-apartments-on-sr-44?template=ampart

From the News-Journal

It's been noted there's more construction going on in NSB than anywhere else in Volusia right now. That's really going to change the calculus of which community has the power in Volusia if it continues.

Sadly, Samsula is on its way to being paved over and the Palmetto Curtain will be nothing but a memory before we know it. Hopefully, slaw rasslin' is forever!

Really? What kind of construction? 

I'm not too familiar with what's being built in NSB right now, but by comparison, over the past 2-3 years, Daytona has seen the construction of:

Tanger Outlets, One Daytona, Speedway redo, Trader Joe's Distribution Center, a retail plaza at US 92 across from Daytona State, the two restaurants on the beach (Cocina 214 & Landshark), Desert Inn redo to Hard Rock, ,  the Protogroup 27 & 31 story hotel condos u/c, the Brown & Brown HQ complex in downtown Daytona u/c, and those two condo buildings u/c in DBS you mentioned above. 

Also, the redo of Volusia Point Plaza, an enormous plaza across from Tanger that's u/c.  That plaza will have an  urban apartment complex at it's SE edge along Williamson, and One Daytona will also feature an apartment complex at it's NE edge.  Those haven't broken ground yet.  But, the sales center for the Margaritaville community has and I believe a few models are already built west of I-95. 

Bellair Plaza  off A1A was redone a couple of years ago and they brought in Marshall's (from Volusia Pointe) and Tuesday Morning.  Houligan's built a new restaurant by DAB.  Cheddar's opened up last year at Volusia Mall.  It followed Bahama Breeze and Olive Garden from a year prior to that.  And Volusia Mall tore down Sears Auto Center and they are building a 6 restaurant wing at the Mall's SE quadrant.  There are scattered large riverfront houses u/c along John Anderson and Halifax.  Also, Embry Riddle has at least 2-3 new buildings that went up in that time span with a major one u/c.  Daytona State is building a new Student Union/Offices building u/c as well.  Toyota built a new dealership at US 92 & Nova about 2 years back.  There a community off of 415 called something like Daytona West or Town West with new houses u/c.  

The Orange Ave/ Silver Beach Bridge is also being redone and u/c.  I think there was a new community built at Pelican Bay the past 2-3 years as well.  There is a new community being built off of SR 40 between Nova Rd & US1.  And there are about a dozen or more hotel properties fenced off due to Irma damage that are being renovated or converted.  

I don't know.  Daytona is much more urban and larger than NSB, and there's too much being built in Daytona right now for NSB to even be able to keep pace let alone surpass it.  It's like Universal vs WDW; Universal's growth is impressive, but WDW is also spending $1B in expansions. 

Also, Halifax Medical Center is building another hospital off of 472 in West Volusia.  The ER has been up and running for about a year now and the hospital tower is on it's 3rd level.

Slaw rasslin' is forever if I have anything to say about it!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

The N-J story I read was referring to several big projects off FL 44. It apparently included some pretty big subdivisions and I think the stat was based on permits pulled.

gotcha.  so they must be developing that corridor heavily out to I-95.

In Volusia per DBNJ, "In the first three months of 2018, 64 building permits were issued countywide for new commercial developments, the most in a single quarter since the first three months of 2008 when developers got the green light to proceed on 85 projects."

Housing starts are the highest they've been since 2007.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20180505/construction-notebook-birds-eye-views-of-developments-as-builders-pick-up-pace

And they may get their girl back if "displayed in an appropriate venue where she can be seen — as well as protected and taken care of."

http://www.news-journalonline.com/opinion/20180505/our-view-help-bring-our-girl-home

In a move that could potentially be huge, the News-Journal reports the France family is exploring a potential sale of NASCAR.

Left unanswered for now is whether ISC would also be up for sale. That would hit even closer to home as that's the entity that controls Daytona International Speedway along with several other tracks.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/sports/20180507/report-france-family-exploring-sale-of-nascar?template=ampart