Orlando Extended Metro Developments (Volusia/Brevard/East Polk)

jrs2

17 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Brought to you by the folks that @spenser1058refers to as the "good ol' boy regime" and the "cronies".

Actually, the ultimate good ol’ boy city manager who stayed in office far too long and made a hash of Daytona for decades, wasn’t happy at all with the idea. He wanted condos to take up much of the park space.

He was also the one who decided the WWII-era rec center at City Island was too far gone to be restored. As soon as he finally left , local citizens are falling all over themselves to make something amazing of the historic facility and the City Council can’t offer enough “huzzahs!”

Meanwhile, back on Beach St, It was a legacy project for the Browns, for which I’ve commended them previously, even as I’m still less than thrilled with some of the other Brown & Brown proposals along Ridgewood.

Hyatt Brown and his wife show that when powerful people think of something more vital and lasting than their pocketbooks, and who revel in their ties to the community instead of doubling down on profits with lowest common denominator dreck, good things happen.

It would be splendid to see more of that from our FFO’s in Orlando, although the Little Old Ladies of Eola and folks like the now departed but never forgotten Harriett Lake have made a good start.

Edited by spenser1058

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Actually, the ultimate good ol’ boy city manager who stayed in office far too long and made a hash of Daytona for decades, wasn’t happy at all with the idea. He wanted condos to take up much of the park space.

He was also the one who decided the WWII-era rec center at City Island was too far gone to be restored. As soon as he finally left , local citizens are falling all over themselves to make something amazing of the historic facility and the City Council can’t offer enough “huzzahs!”

Meanwhile, back on Beach St, It was a legacy project for the Browns, for which I’ve commended them previously, even as I’m still less than thrilled with some of the other Brown & Brown proposals along Ridgewood.

Hyatt Brown and his wife show that when powerful people think of something more vital and lasting than their pocketbooks, and who revel in their ties to the community instead of doubling down on profits with lowest common denominator dreck, good things happen.

It would be splendid to see more of that from our FFO’s in Orlando, although the Little Old Ladies of Eola and folks like the now departed but never forgotten Harriett Lake have made a good start.

The Mayor was always supportive of the plan and even if the manager was not, it was actually the board who dragged this thing on for so long. This project was originally discussed in '99/2000 and got its 1st "plan" sometime around 2002. It kept getting presented to the board, but they wouldn't approve it other than the infrastructure work that was done (which fortunately it was done or this project would not have happened). Fortunately, the Browns put up the money and Mayor Ritchey was able to push the project through. 

The condo discussion wasn't along the esplanade but was on City Island and Halifax Harbor Island.  I think those ideas may still be options if they ever get the ownership of City Island figured out. There are also a few condo proposals on Beach St. which I think will happen someday.

New neighbor: Massive Amazon robotic center taking shape in Daytona Beach

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/business/real-estate/2022/09/15/daytona-amazon-robotic-fulfillment-center-anticipates-late-2023-opening/7942418001/ 

From The News Journal 

It’s interesting to ponder, almost forty years later, just how long it will take to remove the stench of the special events years foisted on DB by the good ol’ boys:

Daytona Beach gets a nod in new American Express ad. Is it good or bad for our reputation?

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/news/local/2022/09/14/daytona-beach-american-express-ad-cameo/8032087001/

From The News Journal 

• Like 1

I've always wondered why Orlando and Volusia and/or Brevard never capitalized on each other's reputations and joined forces in terms of getting people to visit the areas. Specifically, it seems like Cocoa could make a killing advertising itself as Orlando's beach and Orlando could boost its own brand by associating itself with the Space Coast beaches. With regards to marketing, it's a no-brainer really. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Uncommon said:

I've always wondered why Orlando and Volusia and/or Brevard never capitalized on each other's reputations and joined forces in terms of getting people to visit the areas. Specifically, it seems like Cocoa could make a killing advertising itself as Orlando's beach and Orlando could boost its own brand by associating itself with the Space Coast beaches. With regards to marketing, it's a no-brainer really. 

Like this?

File:Orlando's Closest Beach.jpg - Wikipedia

• Like 2

Sunglow Pier in Daytona Beach Shores has lost another 200’ to Ian - it seems the 1960 pier gets shorter every year:

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/weather/hurricane/2022/10/02/daytona-shores-sunglow-pier-shortened-again-tropical-storm-ian/8140580001/

From The News Journal 

Popular seafood restaurant Crabby Joe’s on the pier was also gutted by Ian.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Sunglow Pier in Daytona Beach Shores has lost another 200’ to Ian - it seems the 1960 pier gets shorter every year:

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/weather/hurricane/2022/10/02/daytona-shores-sunglow-pier-shortened-again-tropical-storm-ian/8140580001/

From The News Journal 

Popular seafood restaurant Crabby Joe’s on the pier was also gutted by Ian.

a lot of places got hammered.  Sunglow; Flagler Pier, businesses, motels, signage, windows, roofs...tragic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

a lot of places got hammered.  Sunglow; Flagler Pier, businesses, motels, signage, windows, roofs...tragic.

Interestingly, the Flagler city manager says they’ll try to reopen their pier asap but that it will be replaced by a concrete version next year (they’re anticipating a 75 -25% match from the Feds).

The good news is the iconic A-frame which says “FLAGLER BEACH” in huge letters on both sides, will be retained. It includes a restaurant, a bait shop (don’t get confused!) and restrooms.

Meanwhile, there’s a big hole in A1A southbound from the storm. It was, ummm, just fixed following a previous storm. Great job , FDOT!

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/weather/hurricane/2022/10/03/flagler-beach-pier-damaged-in-tropical-storm-ian-may-reopen-before-its-demolished-next-year/8166289001/

From The News Journal 

Daytona’s Main Street Pier is also closed but apparently didn’t get hit as badly as the other two.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Interestingly, the Flagler city manager says they’ll try to reopen their pier asap but that it will be replaced by a concrete version next year (they’re anticipating a 75 -25% match from the Feds).

The good news is the iconic A-frame which says “FLAGLER BEACH” in huge letters on both sides, will be retained. It includes a restaurant, a bait shop (don’t get confused!) and restrooms.

Meanwhile, there’s a big hole in A1A southbound from the storm. It was, ummm, just fixed following a previous storm. Great job , FDOT!

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/weather/hurricane/2022/10/03/flagler-beach-pier-damaged-in-tropical-storm-ian-may-reopen-before-its-demolished-next-year/8166289001/

From The News Journal 

Daytona’s Main Street Pier is also closed but apparently didn’t get hit as badly as the other two.

Main St Pier was reinforced underneath in a few places, especially at it's tip; if you lean over the side like Leonardo DiCaprio in Titanic you could see cross bracing with shiny stainless steel bolts.

Jax Beach Pier believe it or not is currently being replaced with a concrete pier adjacent to it.  as of last year it was u/c

A1A- they had reinforced it with big boulders b/c of prior erosion.  I was told low tide was at the sea walls in DB and DBS and caused them to collapse; I even asked wondering how those boulders fared against the elements...   Now we know.

If sea walls even collapse, then there ain't a whole lot FDOT could do to prevent this from happening...ya know?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Good news! The kitchen at The Breakers in NSB is up and running again (the bar opened Friday). No credit cards yet, though.

Also, the Funky Pelican at the Flagler Beach Pier is open again.

More to come…

the Crabby Joes building at Sunglow Pier- only half of it remains...  what a disaster.

I saw a time lapse of Ft, Meyers from a webcam at a specific location near the condo towers.  the water came up to the level of the tops of the palm trees. it was one of the most disturbing things I have ever seen.  it was at least 8' above the level of the street.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

A couple of newsy bits without much detail at this point:

• “Hey, they're doing it for the Macy's property, why not Sears, too. A developer is proposing redevelopment of the old Sears building and adjacent land at Volusia Mall in Daytona Beach into a five-story multifamily residential development with 295 dwelling units. Buildout anticipated in 2024.”

• “Plans were submitted to for a 15.25-acre Surf Park facility with a restaurant venue, rental cabins and retail shop on West Indian River Boulevard in Edgewater.”

From Hometown News Volusia 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

@jrs2, I’m confused. Isn’t Mims in Brevard County?

“Officials brought cases of water, meals ready-to-eat, also known as MREs, and bags of pet food to Volusia County Fire Services Station 37 in Mims where residents were able to pick up supplies.”

From The News Journal 

Hmmm.   I thought it was...

22 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

@jrs2, I’m confused. Isn’t Mims in Brevard County?

“Officials brought cases of water, meals ready-to-eat, also known as MREs, and bags of pet food to Volusia County Fire Services Station 37 in Mims where residents were able to pick up supplies.”

From The News Journal 

The official city limits are in Brevard, but the mailing addresses of Mims extend into Volusia. Remember Volusia makes that odd extension southward and runs below SR46.  I think the nearest fire station to Mims is the one on Lake Harney, which is a Volusia station.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

A couple of newsy bits without much detail at this point:

• “Hey, they're doing it for the Macy's property, why not Sears, too. A developer is proposing redevelopment of the old Sears building and adjacent land at Volusia Mall in Daytona Beach into a five-story multifamily residential development with 295 dwelling units. Buildout anticipated in 2024.”

• “Plans were submitted to for a 15.25-acre Surf Park facility with a restaurant venue, rental cabins and retail shop on West Indian River Boulevard in Edgewater.”

From Hometown News Volusia 

didn't somebody post that the Sears they were talking about was not Volusia Mall's Sears?  I'm confused...

Flagler County beaches face 'critical erosion' following Tropical Storm Ian

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/weather/hurricane/2022/10/06/flagler-county-still-assessing-damage-caused-tropical-storm-ian/8195560001/ 

From The News Journal 

The thing is, I’ve rarely been to Flagler when it didn’t look like it was facing critical erosion. It’s always struck me as “perpetually scruffy”. May God help them if it’s worse now.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Flagler County beaches face 'critical erosion' following Tropical Storm Ian

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/weather/hurricane/2022/10/06/flagler-county-still-assessing-damage-caused-tropical-storm-ian/8195560001/ 

From The News Journal 

The thing is, I’ve rarely been to Flagler when it didn’t look like it was facing critical erosion. It’s always struck me as “perpetually scruffy”. May God help them if it’s worse now.

their beach "was" gorgeous, in that, a steep drop off, narrow, but loaded with orange crushed shells that you just sink into when walking on it.  I hope it's not destroyed...sounds like it might be.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, codypet said:

Going back to the double drive thru concept.:tw_lol:

All politics aside (really; after all, I sometimes start jonesing for Cracker Barrel but CFA, other than the sweet tea, is just meh), I just don’t get the cult of CFA. There are so many places with better-tasting chicken, both chains and indies.