Orlando Extended Metro Developments (Volusia/Brevard/East Polk)

jrs2

On 6/29/2018 at 8:05 PM, spenser1058 said:

I keep hoping that the same folks who bring the London Symphony over periodically will knock some sense into the good ol' boys whose ideas of urban redevelopment are stuck in the 1960's. No doubt it's wishful thinking. Thankfully, (Delightful!) DeLand and the Coronado Crowd in NSB are holding the fort at some of Volusia's towns.

There's also a move afoot to take back Ormond, but it long ago got so paved over by asphalt that I'm not how much there is left to save.

And so it goes.

I think the last Daytona Beach International Festival (LSO folks) took place in 2009.

• 2 weeks later...

Mike Bianchi is suggesting that third-generation scion Brian France's wanderings among the New York elite is affecting NASCAR.

Could it also be why Daytona seems to be drifting so aimlessly these days? There was a time not much got done in East Volusia without the approval of the France family. We may be seeing a vacuum in "the vision thing" (to quote Poppy Bush) if Brian's interest lie elsewhere.

Sadly, such a thing is not unusual. Whether it's Dano Davis losing Winn-Dixie or the Bancrofts abdicating the Wall Street Journal to Rupert Murdoch, we often see families with great success in their industries fade as control passes to the heirs.

In Daytona's case, this might be a great time to rethink a lot of things, starting with a woefully ineffective city government.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/nascar/os-sp-nascar-fans-bianchi-0707-story,amp.html

• Like 1

Attendance declined as much as half at the Coke Zero Sugar 400 race in Daytona over Independence Day, reflecting continuing woes in NASCAR popularity. That also led to occupancy challenges with local hotels, more so on the mainland than beachside.

Something I was unaware of was that some Speedway grandstands were removed as part of the Daytona Rising project. 

It appears the flagship Daytona 500 race continues to sell out (whether that's because of fewer seats available wasn't clear.)

http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20180713/nascar-daytona-numbers-continue-to-sag?template=ampart

From the News-Journal

Edited by spenser1058

8 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Attendance declined as much as half at the Coke Zero Sugar 400 race in Daytona over Independence Day, reflecting continuing woes in NASCAR popularity. That also led to occupancy challenges with local hotels, more so on the mainland than beachside.

Something I was unaware of was that Speedway grandstands were removed as part of the Daytona Rising project. 

It appears the flagship Daytona 500 race continues to sell out (whether that's because of fewer seats available wasn't clear.)

http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20180713/nascar-daytona-numbers-continue-to-sag?template=ampart

From the News-Journal

it rained around 7pm the night of the race.  I drove by there at 6:30pm or so and the storm clouds were en force.  not sure how that affected gate ticket purchases versus people just ditching b/c of the rain.

• Thanks 1

Non-stop service from Toronto? DBIA is trying to convince Sunwing. There's been more life in Daytona's little airport of late, which can only be good for tourism and finally diversifying the economy:

http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20180717/daytona-officials-to-make-pitch-to-canadian-airline?template=ampart

From the News-Journal

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Non-stop service from Toronto? DBIA is trying to convince Sunwing. There's been more life in Daytona's little airport of late, which can only be good for tourism and finally diversifying the economy:

http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20180717/daytona-officials-to-make-pitch-to-canadian-airline?template=ampart

From the News-Journal

That's great news if they can get consistent ridership to Toronto.  JetBlue to JFK if pretty successful thus far, so further strengthening service to the NE is a plus.  It's like a slow rollout of sorts...  I know for years the Canadian Spring Break was a thing in DB...as of late there must have been a resurgence for them to court Sunwing… ya know...

• Like 1

David Needleman, the guy who started JetBlue, Morris Air, Azul Air Brazil, and WestJet (and has been with Southwest and TAP Air Portugal) is starting a new US budget airline called Moxy (at least for now) and wants to fly to underserved airports.

https://airlineweekly.com/hes-baaaack-stop-what-youre-doing-jetblue-founder-david-neeleman-wants-to-launch-a-new-u-s-airline/

He signed an order for 60 Airbus A220-300s yesterday (until like a week or two ago those were Bombardier CS300s)

A couple articles mentioned Central Florida airports like Daytona, Sanford, and Melbourne as possible options.

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 11:27 AM, spenser1058 said:

Mike Bianchi is suggesting that third-generation scion Brian France's wanderings among the New York elite is affecting NASCAR.

Could it also be why Daytona seems to be drifting so aimlessly these days? There was a time not much got done in East Volusia without the approval of the France family. We may be seeing a vacuum in "the vision thing" (to quote Poppy Bush) if Brian's interest lie elsewhere.

Sadly, such a thing is not unusual. Whether it's Dano Davis losing Winn-Dixie or the Bancrofts abdicating the Wall Street Journal to Rupert Murdoch, we often see families with great success in their industries fade as control passes to the heirs.

In Daytona's case, this might be a great time to rethink a lot of things, starting with a woefully ineffective city government.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/nascar/os-sp-nascar-fans-bianchi-0707-story,amp.html

I just learned a new word:  "scion".

So, wouldn't you think that if NASCAR starts changing towards the more well heeled crowd, then wouldn't they want to consider putting a roof over the grandstands ala Orlando Soccer Stadium?  I mean, they've already pumped a half-bil into the Speedway already.  How much could that cost, $100M?

3 hours ago, jrs2 said:

I just learned a new word:  "scion".

So, wouldn't you think that if NASCAR starts changing towards the more well heeled crowd, then wouldn't they want to consider putting a roof over the grandstands ala Orlando Soccer Stadium?  I mean, they've already pumped a half-bil into the Speedway already.  How much could that cost, $100M?

I guess it probably depends on how much stuff they do in the summer. The 400 used to be a bear when it was in the daytime on July 4, but switching to nighttime solved that problem. 

Over the years, they've been doing more and more non-racing events so maybe it's time to put a lid on it. It's always been considered a key part of any Olympic bid for the region so it sure couldn't hurt.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, orange87 said:

The city of Daytona Beach has so much potential. It has the world's most famous beach. It has one of the most famous race tracks (Daytona International Speedway). And once these two buildings get finished, Daytona will begin to have a somewhat decent coastal skyline. They just need to find a way to take advantage of the city's potential.

If you translate this into Orlando terms it's:

Beach = Disney

Speedway = Universal

Coastal skyline = International Drive

I'm thinking of the Orlando tourism slogan ... "you don't know the half of it".   In Daytona there is only the one half.    The city itself is non-existent.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cwetteland said:

If you translate this into Orlando terms it's:

Beach = Disney

Speedway = Universal

Coastal skyline = International Drive

I'm thinking of the Orlando tourism slogan ... "you don't know the half of it".   In Daytona there is only the one half.    The city itself is non-existent.

We've talked a lot about diversifying Orlando's economy and making sure, despite Rich Crotty's efforts, that "Downtown Orange County" never became a thing.

A lot of people pushed back when Harris Rosen and his consigliere Ted Edwards and their merry band of hoteliers and old-school tourism execs like Dick Nunis tried to claim dominion over anything in the region that didn't have to do with heads in beds. In a lot of ways, it's worked, although there's still more to do.

Daytona Beach is the living proof of what happens when that effort is not made.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

A bigger, better Broadwalk? Sing it with me, "Fairytales can come true, it can happen to you..."

Perhaps the worst part of this is that the Volusia County Council, one of the best run counties in Florida  in the days of Pat Northey and Clay Henderson, have become a laughingstock. When the movie is made, we'll call it, "The Bubbas Strike Back."

http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20180719/bigger-boardwalk-for-daytona-beach-reality-or-fairy-tale?template=ampart

From the News-Journal

36 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

A bigger, better Broadwalk? Sing it with me, "Fairytales can come true, it can happen to you..."

Perhaps the worst part of this is that the Volusia County Council, one of the best run counties in Florida  in the days of Pat Northey and Clay Henderson, have become a laughingstock. When the movie is made, we'll call it, "The Bubbas Strike Back."

http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20180719/bigger-boardwalk-for-daytona-beach-reality-or-fairy-tale?template=ampart

From the News-Journal

Hmmm.  Okay:

Miami Beach has a winding walkway that connects from the north end of the Ocean Drive strip and continues many many blocks north, surrounded on both sides by foliage.  Walk, roller blade, cycle, whatever- it's very nice.

The idea in Daytona could work, but that means they would have to close down the Seabreeze beach approach, b/c Hard Rock is a few more blocks to the north.  

• Like 1

The good news is that, while West FL 44 is turning into a sprawl nightmare and more thought needs to be given to redeveloping US1 (hello, Volusia, empty car dealerships are not attractive!), New Smyrna Beach's efforts along Canal St. downtown and in Coronado on the beachside are to be applauded. 

Given some estimates that NSB is destined to be the county's largest city eventually (if Deltona were your largest city, wouldn't you be desperate for someone else to take the crown?), one supposes we can leave Daytona to another couple of decades of meh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Dale said:

Saddens me because Daytona Beach was the city of my youth. It seemed like a fairlyland for an impressionable lad.

Grown up, wizened, perhaps a little jaded ... Daytona Beach can only surprise me. My expectations are meager.

So here's the "momentum" projects:

1.  Speedway got a major facelift; looks purdy...

2.  ISC built One Daytona which is still opening in phases; Cobb 12 is super busy and I hear is the nicest cinema in CFLA. PF Changs, Guitar Center, Bass Pro, etc...

3.  ISC is redeveloping Volusia Point Plaza and incorporating it into One Daytona

4.  Volusia Mall is currently building a 6 outparcel section of new restaurants

5.  Brown & Brown will break ground on their DB HQ in downtown late 2018; it should be transformative

6.  Protogroup is building it's two tower condo hotel resort at Oakridge & A1A; it will be Daytona's tallest and probably larger than the neighboring Wyndham 2-tower resort.

7.  Desert Inn became Hard Rock hotel.  I think they're getting traction now...the valet lot was close to full and the visitor lot was half full plus.

8.  Tanger opened up a couple years back

9.  Tomoka Town Center next to Tanger is u/c; a very large plaza (Dave n Busters coming)

10.  Bucky's 100 pump Texas gas station mecca will be built near Tanger.  Isn't that so Daytona?  or Bithlo...

11.  Landshark & Cocina 214 opened up on the beach near A1A & US 92 (ISB)

12.  Trader Joes Distribution Center opened near Tanger a couple of years ago.

13.  Jimmy Buffett Villages-like community u/c off LPGA west of I-95

14.  US 92 & SR 400 & I-95 interchanges and overpasses undergoing I-4 Ultimate-like work.

15.  I-4 from SR 44 to I-95 was widened a couple years back; US 92 interchange redone

16.  Daytona Screamer's Park, with 2 rides, opened just south of Main St.

17.  Daytona Country 500 on it's 2nd or 3rd year; good concert festival momentum

18.  Sunwing may come by end 2018 to DAB

19.  US-1 median beautification in Holly Hill and other portions (sides of the road still look like...you know what)

20.  CEO Gamer Tournament was at Ocean Center this year; may return annually depending on whether OCCC undercuts Ocean Center.

21.  Embry Riddle Research Park- two buildings built already

22.  ERAU new campus buildings

23.  Daytona State- new Student Union/ main building u/c

24.  Halifax Health new location u/c at 472 & I-4

25.  Major brand name hotels/ resorts- over the past decade, consumer confidence has returned to A1A with several brands taking over hotels and hanging their shields; also a few timeshares as well.  Blue Green, Exploria, Residence Inn, Hilton garden Inn, Best Western, Hyatt Place, etc...

• Thanks 1