TCC Visual and Culinary Arts Center

https://pilotonline.com/inside-business/news/arts/article_c174e30a-775d-51cb-ad46-b348db0c5590.html

This made me sad to hear:

”The larger of its two moves will take the Visual Arts Center from its current location on High Street in Portsmouth.

This will leave Portsmouth with no college-level degree program offerings; TCC, also will vacate its 33,000-square-foot building.

The studio is expected to be open in summer 2019 and the center is planned for completion in summer 2020.”

Great news for the arts district but man, Portsmouth just can’t catch a break. :(

• Sad 1

I hate that Portsmouth loses its TCC campus. Hopefully they gain something to fill its place. Maybe a studio of some sort. 

• Like 1

This is a great development and great design. So much more welcoming across Brambleton than that horrendous bus station. Adding students and a restaurant will be a great way to increase  foot traffic and finally link downtown to the Neon district. Kudos to TCC for being a great partner with the city.

• Like 1

Do we know if they're knocking down the bus station or incorporating the station into the new design at all? The station does have some history to it and has kind of a cool, funky design to it. 

• Like 1

It's only going to be two stories, (i presume with parking) on that tiny lot?  And students will have to cross the street from Hell, to get to any other campus buildings, or well, anything else. That's not exactly a step up from the Portsmouth campus, which was a pretty impressive three story building in the heart of downtown Portsmouth.

Although it sounds like they will be tearing down the bus station, i was hoping they wouldn't. That is a nice historic building that just needed a facelift.

• Like 1

I disagree. The Greyhound is a total eye sore and makes crossing Brambelton extremely uninviting. 

Thisbuilding is modern, will have a restaurant and has guaranteed foot traffic. The more people that have to cross Brambelton, the better for the Neon district and the more improvements the city will have to make to cross the street. This is a win all three at around, and IMO the best of all the announcements. Can't get rid of that bus station fast enough. 

• Like 1

I agree the Greyhound station is an eye sore and I don't any part should be kept. Yes it's old but that doesn't mean we should keep it. This will be a much more inviing building for the district, although I had hoped for another story or 2. I love the restaurant idea though. Maybe soon we can get a pedestrian bridge or 2 across Brambelton with art incorporated into them. 

• Like 1

On 3/12/2018 at 11:13 AM, Urbanlooker said:

I agree the Greyhound station is an eye sore and I don't any part should be kept. Yes it's old but that doesn't mean we should keep it. This will be a much more inviing building for the district, although I had hoped for another story or 2. I love the restaurant idea though. Maybe soon we can get a pedestrian bridge or 2 across Brambelton with art incorporated into them. 

The Feds won't allow a pedestrian bridge that close to the Federal Building, due to security issues. Brambleton is just  going to be a bigger, deadlier game of Frogger.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jeffconn said:

The Feds won't allow a pedestrian bridge that close to the Federal Building, due to security issues. Brambleton is just  going to be a bigger, deadlier game of Frogger.

Yeah, that whole area is hamstrung by the feds. However, simply following traffic and pedestrian lights go a long way to making crossing the street safer.