Fantasy Wish List for Uptown

jb4563

Which of the following things do you wish Charlotte had that it doesn't in Uptown?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following things do you wish Charlotte had that it doesn't in Uptown?

• Waterfront (River, Bay, Major Lake)
    • Historic District (like Old Salem)
    • Historic Houses (on the level of Charleston/Boston)
    • Major Retail (like Nordstrom, Belk's, Saks)
    • Central Retail (like Underground Atlanta)
    • Market (like Park Place Market, Seattle)
    • Major Tourist Draw (like CNN Center or World of Coca-Cola)
    • Major University (full campus)
    • Major Park (like Central Park or Stanley Park)
    • Observation Tower or Americana symbol (like the Space Needle)
    • Other

Any of these things can really give a downtown major character.

Obviously, certain things bring other things with it (ie. a waterfront brings a boardwalk or waterfront dining). A Market like Pike Place market brings a certain type of people to the area.

So, what one thing would you want Uptown Charlotte to have that it doesn't.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted for a water front. Something like Chicago has would be great, even if on a much smaller scale. I say uncap Sugar Creek, put a nice park on the sides with dedicated paved bike lanes, a sidewalk, landscape it, put a few other ameneties around and you have yourself a top notch locals destination! I would never want to leave and would be there every single weekend!

I voted waterfront to, because that draws other atractions like waterfront dining,entertainment, aquariums,etc.. plus a waterfront is a free activity.

I also wish they would widen Sugar Creek and make it like a small river. Large enough to house water taxi's and or small 20 passenger ferries. You could take a nice senic boat ride from Park Road to University.

I voted for a water front.  Something like Chicago has would be great, even if on a much smaller scale.  I say uncap Sugar Creek, put a nice park on the sides with dedicated paved bike lanes, a sidewalk, landscape it, put a few other ameneties around and you have yourself a top notch locals destination!  I would never want to leave and would be there every single weekend!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Anyone been to San Antonio? If so, then you know how much the Riverwalk has done for that city - there wouldn't be anything in downtown San Antonio without it. Charlotte should uncap Sugar Creek and attempt a similar design to San Antonio's riverwalk.

Wow, I'm really surprised that major retail is in the lead. I was thinking of the question along the lines of something that is not located in uptown and would be highly unlikely/(nearly) impossible to get, which is why I voted major university (major retail is very likely in the foreseeable future). Waterfront and historic district come in a strong second though.

In terms of what would be realistic that would REALLY help downtown, I would have to say a full-service vendor's market would do the trick. Anyone that's been to the markets in Cleveland, or Seattle, or St. Louis can tell you what they can do for street-level traffic.

A real market too, one stocked with local vendors and local farmers. I know we have the "tent" market that comes in every now and then, but an honest to God market with fresh flowers, fish, meat, produce and other vendors would really be awesome. It would be a great idea to fit that in with the park in 3rd Ward.

My all-time wish list would be to uncover Sugar Creek, widen and deepen it (a series of locks could do this) and develop the bank like San Antonio has. Anyone who has seen Riverwalk realizes that it's not that big, it's more of a creek than a river. It would be on a much smaller scale, but we could do that here and finally give Charlotte a "waterfront."

Really, do you even need to ask me? I've made it no secret what I desire most in Uptown. (R-E-T-A-I-L!)

Someone has plans to build a market similar to Lexington Market. I think it's near Uptown, but I'm not familiar with the location. It's a converted warehouse or similar. The developer wants to have various vendors coupled with cooking classes and concerts in the parking lot. Maybe I read about it here? I'll try to dig up an article.

I think Belk sees it like, "leave Eastland and build at Bridges at Mint Hill"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's definately how they see it, but it would stand to reason if they're going that far out into suburbia, it would be nice to have another store closer to town. Why not Uptown?

I would like to see an aquarium in Charlotte. Something that shows what lives in and around the fresh water areas and wetlands of NC. Also including saltwater fishes and mamals in the NC waters. It can go along with the Discovery Place.

More unique shopping and a restaraunt / bar row in uptown would bring people in to spend money. Something like street level shopping like Charleston.

I would like to see an aquarium in Charlotte.  Something that shows what lives in and around the fresh water areas and wetlands of NC.  Also including saltwater fishes and mamals in the NC waters.  It can go along with the Discovery Place. 

More unique shopping and a restaraunt / bar row in uptown would bring people in to spend money.  Something like street level shopping like Charleston.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Discovery Place has in its long term plan a 2nd Uptown museum planned....call "Amazing Places" or something to that effect. It essentially will be an aquarium/terrarium of 7 different environments from around the world. I believe there would be a freshwater, and saltwater aquarium, along with a rainforest. (these would likely be movd and expanded from the current discovery place). I like this idea, but it seems that if we can't even afford to upgrade Discovery Place to acceptable standards, that this new museum stands little chance of becoming a reality in the next 15-20 years.

Discovery Place has in its long term plan a 2nd Uptown museum planned....call "Amazing Places" or something to that effect.  It essentially will be an aquarium/terrarium of 7 different environments from around the world.  I believe there would be a freshwater, and saltwater aquarium, along with a rainforest.  (these would likely be movd and expanded from the current discovery place).  I like this idea, but it seems that if we can't even afford to upgrade Discovery Place to acceptable standards, that this new museum stands little chance of becoming a reality in the next 15-20 years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought Discovery Place was getting a $30 million upgrade.

Archived