• Announcements

    • Neo

      WARNING!   07/26/16

      By reading or participating in the Coffee House forum, you are acknowledging that some topics may be highly controversial in nature. While we make every attempt to ensure that no one and no groups are offended as a result of discussions contained within, we unfortunately can make no guarantees. Participate in threads contained within this forum at your own risk.
JorgiPorgi

Charlotte’s New Tallest Building

Recommended Posts

It’s time for a new tallest in Charlotte. I know there are the slightest of rumblings and rumors on this- and that’s enough to stir some excitement. So let’s talk about it.

What would you prefer to see in a new tallest?  Im thinking something similar to “The Shard” in London(just with a thinner base).  I can’t make up my mind where I would want it, but I’ve narrowed it down to the lot where “the brevard” was going to be(to have a more central location) or anywhere on North Tryon. I’d prefer a height of around 1100 feet.  If Anyone can remember the gigantic building First Union was thinking about building; I think this would look good in the skyline as well. 

What kind of new tallest would you like to see in charlotte? A new spire? Dome? Box? Something with two gigantic Antenna-esque spires(Willis Tower)?  Also- where do you think the best location would be for a new tallest, and about how tall do you think would fit Charlotte’s aesthetic best? 

Edited by Jordan84
Left off info
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


14 minutes ago, cltheel.sdl said:

I'd like to see something along the lines of the original tower design for First Union.  I love the classic looking "crown" skyscrapers.  I wouldn't mind something modern like London's Shard, but I definitely don't want a spire tower or box tower.  As far as where, I think the block between 4th, 3rd, Brevard, and the light rail line would be a really great central location and would help balance the skyline.  As it stands now, there's a bit of a gap between BofA and Duke Energy.  Fill that hole!

2zxvbe0.jpg

Or a much taller version of One Charlotte:

 

onecharlotte.jpg

 

 

 

Love the First Union tower. I do feel that a centralized location will make the skyline seem even more of a short super dense cluster. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Put me down for North Tryon. While density and filling in the surface lots would be great, I feel like that is going to happen anyway. Noticeable gaps would give developers incentive to "fill" the gaps, resulting in the elongation of the skyline. I personally want to see the skyline stretch from Legacy Union (and perhaps beyond it in the next 30 years) to the North Tryon side of 277.

The Hall House block or the next block up by the Odell building would be great candidates for continuity. I wouldn't want it on the edge of 277, as that would be too imposing. The step down from DEC to LU on the southern side is a PERFECT way of doing this. I would like to see something similar with the Northern end.

 

Having a centralized tallest would also be great, but there are less good surface lots to provide this, as opposed to the linear options on the north side. The block across from the bus terminal next to the light rail is massive, and could certainly provide that centralized height distribution. I'm not so sure developers would find a lot next to a bus terminal full of vagrants very appealing, though, considering the prestige that the building and its occupants would have.

Note: Not sure why my 3D isn't working for Charlotte in Google Earth. It's working for every other city. Kind of confusing.

1.jpg

brevard.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Atlanta put its new tallest in midtown (BofA) which spurred gap fill ins and extended midtown as well.  I think something like that in the northern part of south end would further catalyze the imminent south end office explosion.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kickazzz2000 said:

Atlanta put its new tallest in midtown (BofA) which spurred gap fill ins and extended midtown as well.  I think something like that in the northern part of south end would further catalyze the imminent south end office explosion.  

Would love something on the Charlotte Cigar land.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2018 at 12:12 PM, Hunted said:

Put me down for North Tryon. While density and filling in the surface lots would be great, I feel like that is going to happen anyway. Noticeable gaps would give developers incentive to "fill" the gaps, resulting in the elongation of the skyline. I personally want to see the skyline stretch from Legacy Union (and perhaps beyond it in the next 30 years) to the North Tryon side of 277.

The Hall House block or the next block up by the Odell building would be great candidates for continuity. I wouldn't want it on the edge of 277, as that would be too imposing. The step down from DEC to LU on the southern side is a PERFECT way of doing this. I would like to see something similar with the Northern end.

 

Having a centralized tallest would also be great, but there are less good surface lots to provide this, as opposed to the linear options on the north side. The block across from the bus terminal next to the light rail is massive, and could certainly provide that centralized height distribution. I'm not so sure developers would find a lot next to a bus terminal full of vagrants very appealing, though, considering the prestige that the building and its occupants would have.

Note: Not sure why my 3D isn't working for Charlotte in Google Earth. It's working for every other city. Kind of confusing.

1.jpg

brevard.jpg

Yeah, I'm not sure what's going on with Google Earth either. Uptown Lost it's 3-d a week or so ago. Hopefully it's being updated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jordan84 said:

Yeah, I'm not sure what's going on with Google Earth either. Uptown Lost it's 3-d a week or so ago. Hopefully it's being updated. 

Ok, so it’s not just me. I was super confused. Also, Charlotte’s image is very outdated. It’s from 2015. They’re wrapping up construction on the first Skyhouse building in the imagery. Obviously, a considerable amount of change has occurred since then. I read somewhere that cities Charlotte’s size can expect Google Earth updates every 3 years, so aaaaany day now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2018 at 8:30 AM, Hunted said:

Ok, so it’s not just me. I was super confused. Also, Charlotte’s image is very outdated. It’s from 2015. They’re wrapping up construction on the first Skyhouse building in the imagery. Obviously, a considerable amount of change has occurred since then. I read somewhere that cities Charlotte’s size can expect Google Earth updates every 3 years, so aaaaany day now.

Yeah the 3-d imagery was from 2015. The 2-d imagery there now, has buildings like 300 South, museum tower, and legacy union under construction. So maybe it will update soon. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.