Greenville Soccer

USL Division 3 soccer franchise announced for Greenville. Joe Erwin principal owner. Scheduled to start playing March 2019.

From UBJ:

“Erwin said a site for the team’s permanent home, as well as its name, colors, and logo, will be announced later this year.

He said he expects the team will play its first season at a temporary venue that should be secured sometime in the months ahead.

Erwin said the ownership is committed to building a “first-class facility” from scratch, if need be, for its permanent home.”

https://upstatebusinessjournal.com/united-soccer-league-awards-greenville-with-division-iii-franchise/

Edited by Jet-set

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Greenville Triumph SC have signed their first player for the inaugural roster.

https://www.greenvilletriumph.com/news_article/show/982083

Also pretty neat to see what the club is doing by adding stadium seating and other amenities at Legacy Early College in Woodside. This could be transformational for the area.

https://www.greenvilletriumph.com/news_article/show/976945

image.png.88f9a9c93df8bc2a7c9004d7c640c2ff.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

I can't read the Post and Courrier article about Greenville Triumph's search for a new stadium, but does anyone have insight on what they're looking for? I'd love to see the City work with them in finding a home that can spur economic development and revitalize a neighborhood with a fun game day entertainment district. 

Something with views of Greenville's skyline, or some other point of interest would be cool. I'd prefer something within the urban areas of town, and with opportunities for spin-off private commercial investment/redevelopment. 

On 2/1/2021 at 11:42 AM, GvilleSC said:

I can't read the Post and Courrier article about Greenville Triumph's search for a new stadium, but does anyone have insight on what they're looking for?

This article quotes from the P&C article: "The current home is limited in expansion capability, and the school gets first priority on use of the field, a challenge that will only increase as the club’s presence grows, [lead owner Joe] Erwin said." https://soccerstadiumdigest.com/2021/01/new-greenville-triumph-stadium-in-the-works/

10 minutes ago, RiverWalker said:

This article quotes from the P&C article: "The current home is limited in expansion capability, and the school gets first priority on use of the field, a challenge that will only increase as the club’s presence grows, [lead owner Joe] Erwin said." https://soccerstadiumdigest.com/2021/01/new-greenville-triumph-stadium-in-the-works/

Thanks for sharing that! 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Galley said:

Joe Irwin would like to bring a pro women's team to Greenville. 

Interesting. I sure hope they can secure a good stadium home in order to build this budding empire. There’s support in the community, but they can (and should) build more. The Main St store is great, and certainly a start...

Hey,  that's pretty cool. But something tells me something like that would cost a pretty penny.

Was just thinking, it's high time Serene Stadium got a makeover. That is a great venue (and location) to use as a foundation for a fresh creative makeover and would be a lot cheaper than starting from the ground up.  Any takers?

Edited by distortedlogic

Does anyone know which sites or areas are being considered for a stadium? I would love to have it somewhere in or near downtown just like Fluor Field is.  Having a walkable area around it would be ideal. Would a stadium fit somewhere in the County Square project? What other areas would you like to see it located? 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, SVL said:

Does anyone know which sites or areas are being considered for a stadium? I would love to have it somewhere in or near downtown just like Fluor Field is.  Having a walkable area around it would be ideal. Would a stadium fit somewhere in the County Square project? What other areas would you like to see it located? 

I do like the idea of County Square's site. It would have ample parking, entertainment options, and is easily accessible. Perhaps they could make an arrangement to maintain the same amount of square footage on site, resulting on more height for some buildings... :whistling: 

Random thoughts in no particular order:

1. Village Arts District would be a lot of fun for fans. Preferably adjacent to one of the mills or along the railroad tracks. I don't have a parcel in mind.

2. The Well's back parking lot with a masterplan to redevelop other parcels around the site as an entertainment district. This area could use momentum and has ample parking.  

3. North Main Baby Bilo site? 

4. Somewhere along East Washington / SRT extension with visibility from I-385. :dontknow:

I would like to see a nice, permanent facility that could host HS state championship games, and maybe random college soccer games (Clemson Men are the #1 team in the nation right now). Presumably any option that isn't the borrowing of an existing facility would need to be joint venture with the City. 

Edited by GvilleSC
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, GvilleSC said:

I do like the idea of County Square's site. It would have ample parking, entertainment options, and is easily accessible. Perhaps they could make an arrangement to maintain the same amount of square footage on site, resulting on more height for some buildings... :whistling: 

Random thoughts in no particular order:

1. Village Arts District would be a lot of fun for fans. Preferably adjacent to one of the mills or along the railroad tracks. I don't have a parcel in mind.

2. The Well's back parking lot with a masterplan to redevelop other parcels around the site as an entertainment district. This area could use momentum and has ample parking.  

3. North Main Baby Bilo site? 

4. Somewhere along East Washington / SRT extension with visibility from I-385. :dontknow:

I would like to see a nice, permanent facility that could host HS state championship games, and maybe random college soccer games (Clemson Men are the #1 team in the nation right now). Presumably any option that isn't the borrowing of an existing facility would need to be joint venture with the City. 

I actually love the Kroc Center soccer field location.  Perhaps a deal could be worked for a MAJOR upgrade/expansion to include a new stadium in that area, which happens to be near the Swamp Rabbit Trail, Unity Park, RiverPlace (including the proposed conference center, museums, and hotels), Falls Park, Main Street, etc.  It is easily accessible by foot, bicycle, and a variety of motor vehicles.

Edited to add:

But, I also love your (and SVL's) idea to incorporate a new stadium into the new County Square development.  Your idea would provide the best flexibility to design and build a stadium that best fits the City going forward.  If it means pushing neighboring building heights taller, then it would be a win-win for the community and the skyline.

Edited by Skyliner
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Skyliner said:

I actually love the Kroc Center soccer field location.  Perhaps a deal could be worked for a MAJOR upgrade/expansion to include a new stadium in that area, which happens to be near the Swamp Rabbit Trail, Unity Park, RiverPlace (including the proposed conference center, museums, and hotels), Falls Park, Main Street, etc.  It is easily accessible by foot, bicycle, and a variety of motor vehicles.

I actually think that's a great idea! You'd only need to add stands/support facilities on one side, giving all spectators a view of the skyline, our trail, and the greenery along the river. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

https://greenvillejournal.com/sports/the-scoop-with-amy-doyle-soccers-triumphant-rise-in-greenville-sc/

A dedicated stadium is the next big announcement. Erwin is talking with seven different developers about a new stadium and hopes to announce later this year.  The current stadium can hold 4,000 fans and a new stadium would allow at least twice the capacity. 

• Like 1