J-Rob

Economic Development - Expansions and Relocations

7 hours ago, j-man said:

Do yall really believe they would have interest or even want to include a new headquarter building along with a development that caters to BofA that much or even be associated with LU since it is mostly already planned out? This is the perfect opportunity to extend some development on the north side of uptown which could spark more buzz and eventually have a more balanced skyline lol. I think the land next to the new apartment tower Market 42 would be ideal. I'm claiming a new top 5 tallest tower. 

As much as we don't like to admit it, the only thing North Tryon really has going for it is the Tryon address. All of the momentum in Uptown is moving south (Stonewall, Romare-Bearden, ballpark, LU, Ally Center, proximity to South End etc). 

Also, I think people give way too much credence to going into a development that contains another bank. To me what is important is if you are going into the same BUILDING. A new tower at LU would be similar distance wise between LU, LU2, Ally, DEC etc.

5 hours ago, southernnorthcarolina said:

I'll bet you're right.  The merger could be great news for the owners of BB&T Center, or it could be a disaster.

Good points about BB&T Center:  terrific location as the hub of Overstreet Mall; ample parking with excellent vehicular access and egress via tunnels under College Street.

Defects:  1970s aesthetic;  poor ground floor presence; three huge, difficult to lease floors which extend over the parking deck -- 60,000 SF each.

The three big floors were built for Southern Bell (later BellSouth), the dominant tenant until they built their own building.  Though it was not widely known, BofA took most of the space BellSouth vacated, including at least two of the big floors (maybe all three -- not sure), for its "back office" space.  I'm guessing that BofA will move out, into Legacy or elsewhere, but BB&T Center might offer them a deep discount on the big floors, in recognition of the fact that there aren't many potential tenants who need that kind of space.

Methinks disaster

North Tryon is definitely a longer timeframe build out but it’s already creeping inward from the edges.... Camp NorthEnd, Optimist Hall, even NoDa is pushing slowly toward N.Tryon with the new apartments down Craighead/Philemon. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, KJHburg said:

There are already big companies looking at Legacy 3 hint think bees...

The Charlotte Hornets are anchoring LU3?

• Haha 4

39 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

The Charlotte Hornets are anchoring LU3?

possibly the HONEYbees 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I was thinking, The SunTrust/BB&T merger was kept tight lipped because they didn't want the news leaking out on this website LOL!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, norm21499 said:

I was thinking, The SunTrust/BB&T merger was kept tight lipped because they didn't want the news leaking out on this website LOL!

Bank mergers are done in secret with fake names meeting at odd locations outside of normal offices and both of these banks know how to keep it under wraps.  The Winston Salem mayor knew it at 6.30 am according to the W-S Journal. 

• Like 3

possibly the HONEYbees 

What about Spectrum? I thought the general consensus was that HW would go there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, J-Rob said:

What about Spectrum? I thought the general consensus was that HW would go there.

I would say everyone is pitching Honeywell from LH, Spectrum, Portman and others we don't even know about.  Since Lendingtree is back out there now who knows but I seem to think they will land in SouthEnd somewhere.  Spectrum is the current landlord for Honeywell but every developer worth his or her salt is pitching Honeywell.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Bank mergers are done in secret with fake names meeting at odd locations outside of normal offices and both of these banks know how to keep it under wraps.  The Winston Salem mayor knew it at 6.30 am according to the W-S Journal. 

Yep. Looking at the advisors on the deal, there were certainly several meetings in NYC. Easy for bank execs to fly to NYC without raising any suspicion. 

Goldman Sachs books some conference rooms under made up names. That’s how this stuff happens. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, J-Rob said:

The general consensus is, nobody knows, seemed like the best fit, but every company imaginable have brought exciting proposals across their table.  So we are all playing the waiting game.

and the pushback against incentives begins:

(I am in no way suggesting that Charlotte or Raleigh is back in the hunt -- my money is on New Jersey getting a portion of the Long Island City jobs)

Edited by kermit
  • Haha 3

My understanding of this is not do with incentives but rather opposition for the development parcels in Long Island City and the impact of the physical development.

• Like 2

I said this a long time ago Amazon would be better splitting this into many pieces and look for each city's strengths like Fintech here in Charlotte. 

I do think this is very funny and @QCxpat mentioned this possibility to me a few days ago that they might pull out of NYC.    Remains to be see if they pull out altogether but maybe they should break the NYC piece up into more pieces.  

Here is an article about their reconsideration of NYC 

https://www.bizjournals.com/washington/news/2019/02/08/amazon-reconsidering-its-new-york-city-hq2-site.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=article_du&ed=2019-02-08&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1549659356&j=86562291

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

"A vale of humility between two mountains of conceit."

Supposedly said by Vance about North Carolina. The two mountains of conceit are Virginia and South Carolina. This is also attributed to Alexander Hamilton, but probably predates both Hamilton and Vance.

From the wikipedia page of Zebulon Vance, Civil War Governor of N. C.

• Like 4