Economic Development - Expansions and Relocations

J-Rob

On 3/4/2019 at 12:20 PM, KJHburg said:

This is good that a person from out of market and from large markets Phoenix and Portland is chosen as the new CEO of the regional partnership.

I have heard from folks in Portland that the alliance made a great choice with Janet. I am a little concerned that, being from Portland rather than being a local, she may struggle to develop positive relationships with the guys in Raleigh who have their hands on the incentives money, but honestly anyone from Charlotte would have the same problems.

Having said that we could certainly use some fresh perspective on ED here and I am very glad we are getting it. FWIW Portland is well known for emphasizing entrepreneurship, retention and sustainability over recruitment. If she can pull that off here it will generate some substantial benefits.  Fingers crossed....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, kermit said:

I have heard from folks in Portland that the alliance made a great choice with Janet. I am a little concerned that, being from Portland rather than being a local, she may struggle to develop positive relationships with the guys in Raleigh who have their hands on the incentives money, but honestly anyone from Charlotte would have the same problems.

Having said that we could certainly use some fresh perspective on ED here and I am very glad we are getting it. FWIW Portland is well known for emphasizing entrepreneurship, retention and sustainability over recruitment. If she can pull that off here it will generate some substantial benefits.  Fingers crossed....

What are some of your hopes for her accomplishments?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

I don’t think they’re leaving that pretty, state of the art campus with lots of undeveloped land for an office in a banking district. 

No but the top execs might.  the majority of their employees will stay in Mooresville if they open some kind of Charlotte office.  However they stated they want a huge tech center and that might be coming to the QC specifically intown. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, kermit said:

I am very impressed with her work in Phoenix which is made up of lots of cities that are powerhouses in their own right in addition to Phoenix.  That shows regionalism and that is what is needed here in Charlotte.   Charlotte is a city state just like those cities and cooperation with the surrounding counties is crucial is making this work.  What is good for Cabarrus will be good for the region just as much as a huge corporate relo to Charlotte Mecklenburg.  

Here is a small example today and a company buying 9.7 acres will grow from 20 employees for sure.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/03/05/packaging-company-relocating-facility-from-nj-to.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=article_du&ed=2019-03-05&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1551839482&j=87051931

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HighRiseHillbilly said:

What are some of your hopes for her accomplishments?

Good question.

If I were in charge, my first order of business would be to find a way to nurture the development of some locally-germinated fintech.

Reviving our small-firm energy cluster (smart-grid, batteries, solar) would be great -- but small firm energy stuff is a tough lift due to capital and R&D needs (and UNCC does not appear to be getting much traction on this stuff at the moment).

Finally, finding a way to grow our financial sector worker force (without relying on our big banks) would also be a big achievement. Hopefully the workforce can grow so BBT/Suntrust doesn't injure our small-firm ecosystem.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

I don’t think they’re leaving that pretty, state of the art campus with lots of undeveloped land for an office in a banking district. 

They won't be leaving. Nobody said that. They'll establish a financial, executive and tech presence in a location where its easier to recruit those type of people.

1 minute ago, CLT704 said:

So the relocation that was hinted is lowes? 

I'm sorry. I should restate myself "They would presumably be establishing." I don't think they are the relocation in question, but there is a lot of chatter in Commercial Real Estate about them shopping for a significant chunk of space in town and I'd imagine a ceremonial HQ of Charlotte is a much more attractive marketing tool for talent than Mooresville, NC

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I'm sorry. I should restate myself "They would presumably be establishing." I don't think they are the relocation in question, but there is a lot of chatter in Commercial Real Estate about them shopping for a significant chunk of space in town and I'd imagine a ceremonial HQ of Charlotte is a much more attractive marketing tool for talent than Mooresville, NC

The client I've been working with in the Nashville area just did this for similar reasons.  Left their main campus 25-30 minutes outside the city limits but moved their tech team and a few other functions just outside downtown to attract more talent.

• Like 4

^^^^ Yes I saw that about Corvid it will surely lead to more jobs here in the Lake Norman area.  It remains to be seen if they can attract the rocket scientists and experts in that field.  Might have to hope a branch in Huntsville AL or Orlando but it is exciting for sure.  It sounds like Corvid is on a growth spurt which will lead to more jobs locally than promised.  

• Like 2

https://www.corvidtec.com/news

Work will be performed at the White Sands Missile Range, New Mexico (70 percent); Mooresville, North Carolina (10 percent); Herndon, Virginia (5 percent); Glen Burnie, Maryland (5 percent); Las Cruces, New Mexico (5 percent); and Huntsville, Alabama (5 percent), and is expected to be completed by February 2024. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Now we can be the big BANANA again! Dole Foods moving corporate HQ from California to uptown! 

""Dole Food Co. is growing its business in the Charlotte region.  The agricultural company, the world's largest grower and distributor of fruits and vegetables, has been scouting office space in uptown Charlotte, according to multiple commercial real estate sources. The Westlake Village, California-based company has been moving top executives, including the CEO and chief financial officer, to Charlotte.""

I have long thought this should happen given their plant in Gaston County and investments in Kannapolis.  Great news!

subscriber article

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/03/18/exclusive-dole-food-seeking-to-set-up-corporate.html

Thats another Fortune 500 company this year.