Economic Development - Expansions and Relocations

J-Rob

On 3/19/2019 at 9:04 PM, KJHburg said:

No but it is highly rumored that one day they will move south.  Personally as execs and corporately as a company.  they could save lots and lots of money here  and be closer to their main plant.   and yes Charlotte is the natural fit for BWM due to proximity to Spartanburg as Mercedes with their largest plant in Alabama was for now in Atlanta Mercedes Benz North America.  

The Bimmer Dome at Bank of America Stadium has a good ring to it. 

Any news about a BMW engine plant on the I77 corridor?  They do want to build an engine plant here in the US at some point, somewhere south of Rock Hill would be a good fit.  

And, I’ll take the US HQ too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CLT_sc said:

Any news about a BMW engine plant on the I77 corridor?  They do want to build an engine plant here in the US at some point, somewhere south of Rock Hill would be a good fit.  

And, I’ll take the US HQ too.

I have not heard of this engine plant but given SC's track record with them they would strong consider SC for sure but I would not count any site in NC especially the mega sites out either.

BMW could save so much moving their North American HQ to Charlotte nonstop flights back to their home Munich. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I have not heard of this engine plant but given SC's track record with them they would strong consider SC for sure but I would not count any site in NC especially the mega sites out either.

BMW could save so much moving their North American HQ to Charlotte nonstop flights back to their home Munich. 

They would save a lot moving here.  Maybe Harris can pair the new engine plant (including electrics) and the North American HQ west of Charlotte Douglas.  

We did come in 2nd for Toyota’s NA HQ, we would definitely be at the top of BMW’s list.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, kermit said:

They have already approved the incentives little late at this point.  Amazon has its haters for sure but this is going to fizzle out just like the opposition in Northern VA where leases have already been signed.  

• Like 2

I don’t think that Amazon’s NY HQ is truly dead.  There was no news after Governor Cuomo made a personal appeal to Bezos (I.e., Bezos didn’t say no).  In the meantime, Bezos is buying a $60m condo at 220 Central Park South.   Furthermore, NY's latest budget declawed the board that was empowered to thwart the deal.

Edited by SydneyCarton

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I don’t think that Amazon’s NY HQ is truly dead.  There was no news after Governor Cuomo made a personal appeal to Bezos (I.e., Bezos didn’t say no).  In the meantime, Bezos is buying a $60m condo at 220 Central Park South.

Bezos buying a 60m condo is like one of us buying a stick of gum.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Bezos buying a 60m condo is like one of us buying a stick of gum.

I want to get back to the topic of Charlotte before we get another shi.tfest.

I have my fingers crossed for a 900'+ tower from BB&T.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tozmervo said:

Which is, ironically, what 220 Central Park South looks like. 

That was built into the joke lol. More like a USB drive.

I would really like a similar design for BB&T but darker. I think that would be conservative enough for them. It would be value engineered like crazy I'm sure.

Edited by CarolinaDaydreamin
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, kermit said:

^ I am totally confused by how any warehouse (let alone a pet food warehouse) can account for 1,250 jobs.

Order pullers,  receiving etc but the big one would be order pullers. It is 700.000 sq ft.  Online pet food retailer owned by Petsmart.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

The average wage for the jobs is projected to be $28,388 per year.

Sure 1,200 jobs sounds good, but this average wage is paltry.

$15 an hour... @ 40hrs per week, 48weeks per year. But doubt many will be working a full 40. 

Edited by Popsickle
  • Like 1