J-Rob

Economic Development - Expansions and Relocations

Recommended Posts


Another company with an existing Charlotte office is looking to expand may add 100+ jobs and lease space in Parkway Plaza (those older buildings are very affordable office space)  Xylem Inc. from NY.  https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/05/10/water-technology-company-planning-119-job.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=article_du&ed=2018-05-10&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1525981380&j=81516301

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Miesian Corners said:

Which is why I've never understood the reason Red Ventures (or any company rife with millennial employees) built a giant suburban office park no one wants to live near. 

rent/price sq. foot.  What's the price in the outskirts versus South End?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Windsurfer said:

rent/price sq. foot.  What's the price in the outskirts versus South End?

They were in Ballantyne then jumped the state line and got huge $$$ incentives from SC.    They would have gotten some incentives from NC if they expanded but by jumping the line they got them for all the jobs. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

They were in Ballantyne then jumped the state line and got huge $$$ incentives from SC.    They would have gotten some incentives from NC if they expanded but by jumping the line they got them for all the jobs.

That is a big part of it. The other part of it is that the owners of RedVentures also were/are in real estate. They developed/owned the offices they used in Ballantyne.  And found it very profitable to sell it once they outgrew them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Red Ventures is basically a super-affiliate marketing company.

NC passed a nexus law around that time where if you were an affiliate of, say, Amazon, they would then have a nexus in the state and would have to pay sales tax. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CoStar who chose Richmond over Charlotte says Charlotte is one of the best cities in the southeast for office relocations due to supply and new supply of office space in live work districts like Uptown.    http://www.costar.com/News/Article/Charlotte-Office-Primed-For-Corporate-Relocations-and-Expansions/200786

Interesting they chose sublease space at rock bottom rates in downtown Richmond from a company that consolidated to Atlanta but why dwell on the past.  Even they admit Charlotte's got a lot! 

 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

NC is the winner of the 2018 Prosperity Cup which ranks states on new business and business climate.  we were #1 last year too.  SC #10  Tennessee #2    This is the #1 magazine read by real estate relocation consultants and corporate real estate people. 

https://siteselection.com/issues/2018/may/2018-prosperity-cup.cfm

This is the type of rankings that I feel are important since they are based on the opinions of the actual business decision makers unlike rankings by Forbes, Yahoo, Time and the like which are based on unrelated criteria; some of it 1-2 years behind.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Amazon might be behind this major possible 2.4 million sq ft multi level warehouse on airport property at the corner of I-485 and I-85.   Charlotte has not really seen any multilevel warehouses but they are stopping to pop up around the country and Amazon is behind many of them as they want to be close to urban centers where land is a premium.  

Here is the site plan revised in the rezoning process.  However this should pass fairly easily as the CLT airport owns the land and is seeking to develop into non residential uses.  

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2018/016-031/2018-025 site plan 2nd rev.pdf

here is a subscriber article about it

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/06/04/could-project-quattro-translate-to-amazons-fourth.html

I hope this happens. Since this building backs up to I-85, it will look great from there. The area around the airport needs more density. 

Also, I had no idea there were plans to realign Tuckaseegee. 

Edited by NCMike1990
adding detail
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:35 PM, joenc said:

Red Ventures is basically a super-affiliate marketing company.

NC passed a nexus law around that time where if you were an affiliate of, say, Amazon, they would then have a nexus in the state and would have to pay sales tax. 

I survived Red Ventures.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chief Executive Magazine surveyed 300 CEOs and they rank North Carolina #3 best state to do business in after only Texas and Florida.

Now this is a survey that does have implications for new expansions, corporate moves, new plants etc.

https://edpnc.com/chief-executive-magazine-300-ceos-rank-n-c-no-3-state-business/

https://chiefexecutive.net/best-worst-states-business-2018/

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Chief Executive Magazine surveyed 300 CEOs and they rank North Carolina #3 best state to do business in after only Texas and Florida.

Now this is a survey that does have implications for new expansions, corporate moves, new plants etc.

https://edpnc.com/chief-executive-magazine-300-ceos-rank-n-c-no-3-state-business/

https://chiefexecutive.net/best-worst-states-business-2018/

These are the type of surveys that hold more credence in my opinion.  These are the actual decision makers on company location sites and corporate moves too!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NY Times  06/08/2018 "Business Day" story and link removed.   Very sorry, no intention to cause a sad or negative reaction.  :tw_smile:

Edited by QCxpat
Removed as courtesy to reader
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

City of Charlotte may deed over airport owned land to Amazon for a massive 2.5 million sq ft warehouse.   Wonder if this involves Prime Air too which does fly here already.   Plus Amazon already has 600K of warehouse space in Charlotte off Wilkinson    http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article213592009.html#emlnl=Breaking_Newsletter

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Correction to the above story 

Correction

An earlier version of this story incorrectly stated the city would be giving Amazon land valued at $7.5 million. The company will buy the property from the city for $7.5 million.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

1500 jobs coming with Amazon in its new 2.5 million sq ft warehouse multistory heard as high as 90 feet $200 investment on airport owned vacant land at I-85/485 and Wilkinson   One of only 6 of these new warehouse types and one is going in Atlanta not sure where the others are at. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/06/25/amazon-to-hire-for-1-500-jobs-in-upcoming-200m.html?ana=TWT_staffES

another story from the Observer 

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article213819209.html#emlnl=Breaking_Newsletter

"The airport rezoned the land where Amazon's project will be built to allow up to 2.5 million square feet of warehouse and distribution development. The site is at the southeast corner of interstates 85 and 485."

The land is zoned for up to 2.5 million square feet.  I haven't read anywhere that says Amazon's facility will be 2.5 million square feet.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Phillydog said:

"The airport rezoned the land where Amazon's project will be built to allow up to 2.5 million square feet of warehouse and distribution development. The site is at the southeast corner of interstates 85 and 485."

The land is zoned for up to 2.5 million square feet.  I haven't read anywhere that says Amazon's facility will be 2.5 million square feet.  

Some people have told me that it is a multi story warehouse that will be up to 90 tall vs 30-36 feet of normal new warehouse type and this is a huge automated facility.  This rezoning was done specifically for this tenant Amazon not as a speculative warehouse.  I guess we will see but why ask for so much space if you are going to build half that on that building envelope?   This is one building not a multiple phase project.  Also in Atlanta a multistory Amazon warehouse is proposed there too and it is 2.5 million sq ft by the same developer! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2018 at 5:55 PM, KJHburg said:

Correction to the above story 

Correction

An earlier version of this story incorrectly stated the city would be giving Amazon land valued at $7.5 million. The company will buy the property from the city for $7.5 million.

But then the City will spend over $12M in infrastructure, including the relocation of Tuckaseegee Rd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

4 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Once again our Airport provides a pivotal role. Woo!

You wanna talk about crucial infa, the Airport is the critical piece. Without it, Charlotte is nowhere. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now